Wiki Posts
Search

Stuck in Israel with a group

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Marriott GOLD, Accor Club Gold
Stuck in Israel with a group

I'm one of a group of 12 stuck in Jerusalem, with a group ticket due to fly out late Tuesday night. The government has just announced that we may not leave our hotel until then. The travel agent through whom we booked the group ticket is, of course, shut until Monday morning EST. Can I get United to change our ticket by calling them?? The website will not allow me/us to make any changes.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
I would definitely be trying!!
PVDtoDEL likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DominicB
.... Can I get United to change our ticket by calling them??......
Only UA can answer that. FT cannot answer questions about UA flights.
But may be difficult to phone them.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Also try social media --Twitter first @UNITED
kalderlake likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DominicB
I'm one of a group of 12 stuck in Jerusalem, with a group ticket due to fly out late Tuesday night. The government has just announced that we may not leave our hotel until then. The travel agent through whom we booked the group ticket is, of course, shut until Monday morning EST. Can I get United to change our ticket by calling them?? The website will not allow me/us to make any changes.
What change are you trying to make?

The answer is that UA can change tickets issued by a travel agent, but prefers not to do so. They may charge you a fee to "take over" the ticket from the agency.

Skype should allow you to call the US customer service line -- +1-800-864-8331 -- for no charge with a free account. They're open 24/7. You can also try United directly in Israel at 1-809-344-363, but note that they are closed Saturday and will re-open at 8:30 AM tomorrow morning.
tecate55 likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 6:26 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Be prepared for long hold times @ UA as you don't indicate status and all airlines are cancelling flights. Lucky, no travel ban on flights to/from ISrael as of yet.
Just so I comprehend the issue is the Israeli governmetn has you in quarantine so wnat UA to change tickets for 12 passengers until you are released.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 6:39 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, SPG Gold, United 1K, Hilton Diamond, Diamond Golden Circle
Are you sure your travel agent doesn't have after hours coverage or a cellphone you can call?
Old Mar 14, 2020, 6:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As noted, call the US number and be prepared to sit on hold for several hours. Presuming that these are published fares, UA may well take over the tickets and rebook you (presuming availability) and it may even waive the $50 per ticket fee for doing so.

You will do best if you have everybody's exact details, including e-ticket number & PNR handy and know exactly what you want.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 6:53 pm

Don't bother calling,UAflights are sold out till Friday.
why are you forced to stay in the hotel? When did you arrive?
Old Mar 14, 2020, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
I can assure you that if Israel doesn’t want you to leave your hotel you will not be able to leave early.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by Zoltar
Are you sure your travel agent doesn't have after hours coverage or a cellphone you can call?
Exactly. I thought this was the only reason anyone used an agent these days...always available 24/7 to help.
tecate55 likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 11:01 pm

I am also in Israel. - have been here since end of December. I leave early Wednesday ( confirmed El Al) While, almost everything is closed and there are huge restrictions, unless you are subject to government quarantine- and then you couldn’t fly, no one is prohibited from going outside. Please check jpost.com for actual list of restrictions.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 11:30 pm

If you're able to call Hong Kong,Japan, or Australia for a discounted or free rate, United has local call centers in those places as well.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 10:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is a broader lesson for the future. If one really must use a TA, make certain that it is a TA with 24/7 emergency backup. This doesn't mean that you can call at 02:00 to discuss seat assignments, but it does mean that there is a service which will handle matters which must be handled prior to the next business day.

It's worth looking at when you are pondering travel. Covid-19 may not pop up every day, but bad weather, injuries and other matters intervene all the time.
Zoltar, Mike Jacoubowsky and Ari like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.