Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Does the reservation line no longer give you hold times or a call back option?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2020, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC

I tried to make a change to an award ticket online that errored out and didn't ticket properly so I need to call. After asking for an agent the system places me on hold, but no longer tells me how long my expected wait time is or gives me an option for a call back. Am I imagining those two things? Didn't one or both happen at some point when you called in? I imagine with COVID-19 it'll take a while to get through, but I'd at least like to know what I'm in for.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't remember ever having a call-back option, and I think the only time it states a wait time estimate is when the estimate is over five minutes. However, it has been a while since I had phone wait times, fortunately, so I may be off with the latter description.
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fumje
I don't remember ever having a call-back option, and I think the only time it states a wait time estimate is when the estimate is over five minutes. However, it has been a while since I had phone wait times, fortunately, so I may be off with the latter description.
You're definitely fortunate! I've been on hold now for a fair bit longer than 5 minutes, and wasn't given a hold time. It's possible I'm imagining the call back option, but I could've sworn I've been given it before and remember thinking how great it was.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 7:41 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by coolbeans202
You're definitely fortunate! I've been on hold now for a fair bit longer than 5 minutes, and wasn't given a hold time. It's possible I'm imagining the call back option, but I could've sworn I've been given it before and remember thinking how great it was.
AA has one, but I never had that option with UA or CO.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The estimates, when it gives them, can be inaccurate. My recollection is it has sometimes told me ten minutes that turned out to be two, and sometimes the other way.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 8:07 am

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
I called this minute as a Silver and only waited 3 minutes
Old Mar 7, 2020, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Brandinho1
I called this minute as a Silver and only waited 3 minutes
I just waited 58 minutes on hold before they finally answered. For whatever reason the credit card payment for $14 in additional taxes didn't go through so they needed to collect that. Took about 2 mins total to complete.

EDIT: I forgot about all of the schedule changes taking place today. I'm sure that isn't helping wait times...

Last edited by coolbeans202; Mar 7, 2020 at 8:30 am
Old Mar 9, 2020, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Yeah, you're probably just remembering AA or DL
droopydog likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 9:35 am

Programs: AA Gold
I tried to call in Saturday to change award ticket and was told the wait time was 90 minutes. I did not wait on hold. I'll try some other time when it gets closer to my actual travel dates which are in late June.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 9:38 am

++52 5552835500 answered just now in 11 minutes
option 9 for EN and only $0.01/m using Skype
Old Mar 9, 2020, 11:24 am

I called about a cancellation for a revenue ticket last Thurs or Fri (3/5 or 3/6), and I was given the option for a callback; they called back in about 15 minutes.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 11:30 am

Programs: Perennial Free Agent
It was offered to me twice yesterday. I can't seem to replicate it today and I don't feel like sitting on hold for 60 minutes right now. Will try tonight. What sucks the most is I just want to make a date change. But when I change only one flight, it bumps me from First class to economy on all flights. So no way I will try that online. Phone only.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 11:31 am

Called yesterday. Was told wait time was approximately 90 minutes with no call back option. Was answered in just under 90 minutes. Got some snow yesterday so shoveled the front walk/drive, came inside, made a cup of coffee and then just browsed my phone for the remaining time.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I’ve had the callback option intermittently - not sure if there is something specifically that triggers it (ie, hold times over X minutes, status level, etc.). It’s definitely not offered all the time, but I’ve had it before.

I’ve heard hold times sometimes as well, and not others. My suspicion is it will give it for moderate hold times - not for a few minutes (do you really need it then?) or less, and not for really long hold times, I’d guess the latter because the estimates are probably less accurate the more people there are on hold. again, no knowledge of the system, but these
are guesses.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by emcampbe
I’ve had the callback option intermittently - not sure if there is something specifically that triggers it (ie, hold times over X minutes, status level, etc.). It’s definitely not offered all the time, but I’ve had it before.

I’ve heard hold times sometimes as well, and not others. My suspicion is it will give it for moderate hold times - not for a few minutes (do you really need it then?) or less, and not for really long hold times, I’d guess the latter because the estimates are probably less accurate the more people there are on hold. again, no knowledge of the system, but these
are guesses.
This matches up with my experience. I'm almost positive I've been given a call back option before, but I have no idea what the trigger is and I've definitely gotten hold times before but I didn't in this case.

I wonder if it has to do with the options provided. When I called in, the system knew I had an award that needed to be reissued and asked is if I was calling about that issue. It then just put me on hold but there was no hold time given.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.