Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Glad United (USA In General) Use Tongs For Bread Basket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Glad United (USA In General) Use Tongs For Bread Basket

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2020, 5:19 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by DELee
Mmmmm. Coach in First. And Kirby will tell us it's a benefit too.

"More Oreo Thins, please. Oh, and please use the tongs."

David
Using tongs might be a good idea. I've seen my fair share of people rummaging through the basket touching everything before finally picking something. I believe it was on the Delta forum, where someone complained because one of the FA's gave passengers who touched everything in the basket lecture about getting people sick with their dirty hands. I get my news mostly from foreign sources like Euro News, BBC, France 24 and DW, lately there's been a lot of news about handwashing and surveys they've done and it is staggering how many people do not, even after using the bathroom.

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Lufthansa is in my recent (early Feb) experience using tongs.

I have seen people grab rolls from hotels buffets using their fingers all over the world. Of course, I don’t know their nationality. It might even be more sanitary if you are careful and touch only the one roll you actually want. Touching the tongs that a hundred other guests have used before you isn’t exactly safe, which is why many cruise ships have eliminated self-service via spoons/tongs at buffets.

I am not particularly concerned about the (United or otherwise) FA touching the tongs. At some time someone has handled your food and serving items.
That is all fine and dandy, until you've see those people for whatever reason, pick one up look at it, put it back and grab another one. I guess the look and shape of the crossiant in the same basket really matters to some.

Originally Posted by RetiredATLATC
Tell that to the ocean
YOU tell it to the seniors and people with underlying medical conditions who are dying disproportionately. See what they say if you gave them the choice between plastic which keeps things sealed and tamper free vs them disproportionately dying from the outbreak.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 7, 2020 at 5:44 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 7, 2020, 5:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
This thread is starting to take a non-UA topic related turn, let's not do that. There is a whole forum now for general Coronavirus discussion and other forums for environmental issues. If it is not specific to UA, you may be in the wrong forum.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Mar 7, 2020, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I’m not sure I really see the big deal. So long as people are not touching and returning pieces of bread to the basket there should really not be any difference between grabbing a roll or having some tongs.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 8:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by seat38a
Swiss for one. It seems to be a general practice to grab with hands even at hotel breakfast buffets in Europe.

That is disgusting, virus or no virus. I had the staff chase people out of a hotel lounge in Paris last fall because they were re-using dirty plates and taking food with their hands, so I don't think this behavior is acceptable in Europe either - and those signs in the LAX UC are courtesy of yours-truly who was sick and tired of seeing this behavior here in the USA.

I have never seen people taking things with their hands from serving baskets, trays or platters on an airplane during FA meal service - aside from the snack basket where the contents are wrapped.

Hopefully the lasting memory of this virus will be to teach people basic public hygiene skills.
seat38a likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hirohito888
My recent shorthaul flight on OS did not have tongs or utensils to grab the bread. AC and TG longhaul both had FA serve bread from basket using utensils.

But based on the trend these days, I'm expecting all meals in F/J to be served in pre-packaged form soon.
Right now, those packaged and sealed cheese plates during the Denver catering fiasco seems like a better option. Even the Kosher meal that comes completely sealed is probably a better bet.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 12:30 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
I much prefer the UA approach of point, tongs. serve. I know LH and LX have the pax pick the bread offerings directly uut of he basked, and I think SAS does also.
seat38a likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Probably best to avoid life in general if you are that paranoid about germs.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 1:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by 1kBill
I much prefer the UA approach of point, tongs. serve. I know LH and LX have the pax pick the bread offerings directly uut of he basked, and I think SAS does also.
Just make sure UA has a procedure to keep the tongs sterile.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 5:04 am

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
What airline has people take bread directly with their hands? I've never seen anything like that.
Intra European on both Austrian and Lufthansa - many times...
Old Mar 8, 2020, 10:23 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
People grab food in the UC and PL with their bare hands all the time. Mostly stuff like bread, cookies, etc. One time saw someone reach into a jar of nuts or something. Luckily an employee noticed and took the jar away right after.

I do notice that most places outside the US don't have sneeze guards. the food is just totally exposed.

On a plane, I assume the FA at least washes their hands and avoids coughing/sneezing directly on the the food. I see them wearing gloves sometimes. My food probably isnt sterile but it is "safe enough" for my standards. The FA isnt doing open heart surgery. We don't have people flying around with ebola.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by eng3
People grab food in the UC and PL with their bare hands all the time. Mostly stuff like bread, cookies, etc. One time saw someone reach into a jar of nuts or something. Luckily an employee noticed and took the jar away right after.

I do notice that most places outside the US don't have sneeze guards. the food is just totally exposed.

On a plane, I assume the FA at least washes their hands and avoids coughing/sneezing directly on the the food. I see them wearing gloves sometimes. My food probably isnt sterile but it is "safe enough" for my standards. The FA isnt doing open heart surgery. We don't have people flying around with ebola.
Not recently.

David
Old Mar 8, 2020, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eng3

I sit in 1A or 1B 99% of the time and from the view that I have from my seat, I have not seen anything that jumped out at me as a food handling hazard. Everything already comes sealed from catering and all they do is heat, open and serve. The only thing I do worry a little bit about is how the glasswares are stored but in general the new ones in is loaded upside down and the used ones right side up so chances of selecting the wrong ones is reduced.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 8, 2020 at 5:51 pm Reason: removed response to deleted post
Old Mar 8, 2020, 5:59 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
This thread has been veering off-topic in a number of ways. The topic is UA handling of food / bread in flight.
General environmental issues are not UA specific or related, best discussed elsewhere.
General personal hygiene is likewise. (Note there is some discussion of travel hygiene in the Coronavirus and travel forum).
The UA enforcing the use of tongs or other items to prevent person to person transmission in-flight or lounges is a UA / UA travel-related topic but directing comments at posters who express different opinions is not allowed -- just follow the basic FT rule -- "Discuss the topic, not the poster(s)."

Recent posts that strayed from the topic or rules have been removed.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 8, 2020 at 6:05 pm Reason: Coronavirus and travel forum link

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.