Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: Midwest Winter Weather (February 25, 2020 - February 26, 2020)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2020, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K

Airports:
  • Cedar Rapids, IA (CID)
  • Chicago-O'Hare, IL (ORD)​
  • Detroit, MI (DTW)
  • Flint, MI (FNT)
  • Grand Rapids, MI (GRR)
  • Kalamazoo, MI (AZO)
  • Lansing, MI (LAN)
  • Madison, WI (MSN)
  • Milwaukee, WI (MKE)
  • Moline, IL (MLI)
  • Muskegon, MI (MKG)
  • Saginaw, MI (MBS)
  • South Bend, IN (SBN)
  • Toronto, ON, CA (YYZ)
  • Traverse City, MI (TVC)
Rebook by February 29, 2020. Original ticket must have been purchased by: February 22, 2020.

Waiver (normal folks): https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...eptionPolicies

Waiver Parameter Code (posted): 1+

David

Old Feb 24, 2020, 3:12 am

I am curious - now that they have started restricting many waivers based on when the ticket was "purchased," do they treat an SDC as a "purchase"? For example, if a passenger were to now SDC from a connection in DEN to one at ORD, could they take advantage of the Midwesr waiver even though the SDC was done post-2/22?
Old Feb 24, 2020, 11:03 am

This one surprised me as the worst of the weather is supposed to be tonight and then a bit tomorrow. I don't understand the 26th except for maybe just in case, or for operational reasons after a fallout from the current.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alchemista
This one surprised me as the worst of the weather is supposed to be tonight and then a bit tomorrow. I don't understand the 26th except for maybe just in case, or for operational reasons after a fallout from the current.
Here is one forecast:

https://www.wunderground.com/forecas...=localwx_10day

It looks kind of spread out over the 25th and 26th. In my observation, UA seems pretty good at interpreting the meteorological forecasting and setting waivers for the right time periods.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 11:23 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Yeah, ORD is in danger of having a foot of very wet snow or getting ice/rain depending on just a few degrees of temperature variance. I'm supposed to be flying ORD > SFO on Wednesday afternoon. We'll see how that goes.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 11:55 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by yonatan
I am curious - now that they have started restricting many waivers based on when the ticket was "purchased," do they treat an SDC as a "purchase"? For example, if a passenger were to now SDC from a connection in DEN to one at ORD, could they take advantage of the Midwesr waiver even though the SDC was done post-2/22?
The purchase by was indeed done to prevent making a purchase post waiver and using it as a golden ticket to get a different routing cheaper or waiver of change / cancellation fees.

Not sure about SDC but I would not be surprised if there is some blocking of SDC thru waiver cities or some marking of the ticket to prevent free cancellations. just speculating
Old Feb 24, 2020, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yonatan
For example, if a passenger were to now SDC from a connection in DEN to one at ORD, could they take advantage of the Midwesr waiver even though the SDC was done post-2/22?
SDC does not affect the purchase date.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The purchase by was indeed done to prevent making a purchase post waiver and using it as a golden ticket to get a different routing cheaper or waiver of change / cancellation fees.
Precisely.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alchemista
You might have misread the forecast. The Winter Storm Watch is currently for 9 AM tomorrow (Tuesday the 25th) through 6 PM Wednesday the 26th.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 5:03 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Originally Posted by Bear96
You might have misread the forecast. The Winter Storm Watch is currently for 9 AM tomorrow (Tuesday the 25th) through 6 PM Wednesday the 26th.

Looks like the. Forecast has changed. No winter storm 1 inch of snow.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 7:24 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Looks to be a total whiff for ORD, fortunately. Weather models are hard...
Old Feb 25, 2020, 8:28 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Bear96
At ORD right now and operations seem to be normal. My inbound a half hour ago was early.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 10:59 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Yeah, non-event so far at ORD.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 12:44 pm
LIH

In fairness to the easy punching bags that are weathermen, the margin of error for this storm for the Chicagoland area looks like its going to be super wide. Some south suburbs (and maybe even MDW) getting notably impacted with 20 miles away you may not see a snowflake. Kind of a rarity for a winter weather pattern relative to an "average" snow storm here. Glad ORD looks like its going to be in the clear for my own personal travel plans.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

Not sure about SDC but I would not be surprised if there is some blocking of SDC thru waiver cities or some marking of the ticket to prevent free cancellations. just speculating
Does doing an SDC through a different hub force a reissue that might appear as a new "purchase" to the system, or is it just a revalidation of an existing ticket?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.