Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA • CONFIRMS • Status Extension to JAN 2022; PQP Thresholds Reduced by ½ for 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2020, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
05April 2020
MileagePlus Status Extended Until 2022

Throughout these unprecedented times, we remain committed to doing what is right and fair for all of our MileagePlus members and are pleased to share the steps we are taking to reciprocate the trust and loyalty that you have placed in United. These steps include not only Premier status updates, but also an extension of current memberships and subscriptions. The updates will happen automatically over the next few weeks — there's nothing you need to do.

The big news: If you have current 2020 Premier status, it will be extended to January 31, 2022. At a minimum, you will enjoy the same published status next year that you have today, up to Premier 1K®.

We're reducing the 2020 Premier qualifying points (PQP) and flight requirements for all tiers by 50%. You'll still need a minimum of four flight segments on United or United Express®.

We're also doubling PQP for United Explorer cards and quadrupling PQP for the United Club cards.

At the same time that we're decreasing the published program's PQP requirements, via a promotion from May 1 – December 31, 2020, we're doubling (for United Explorer cards) or quadrupling (for United Club cards) the maximum number of PQP that Cardmembers can earn during 2020 to help achieve a higher level of status than you already have.

1K® and Platinum members, we're increasing your ability to upgrade by extending PlusPoints expiration dates by six months and expanding Skip Waitlist.
  • This means a six-month extension of any PlusPoints set to expire on or before January 31, 2021.
  • Last year we introduced Skip Waitlist on select flights as a benefit to 1K members, giving you more opportunities to confirm an upgrade request at the time of booking. This benefit will now be available for the rest of 2020 in a significantly expanded selection of long-haul international regions and will have expanded availability in 2021 as well.
We're extending all annual membership and subscription benefits by six months.
  • We want to make sure your benefits are still there when you're ready to start flying again. That's why we're extending purchased United Club℠ memberships and purchased subscriptions for Economy Plus®, United Wi-Fi℠ and checked bags by six months. You should see this reflected in your MileagePlus account soon.
All electronic travel certificates now have 24 months to be used.
  • If your travel plans have been disrupted, and you have an electronic travel certificate from us for the value of your ticket, you now have two years from the date it was issued to book a new flight, as well as up to an additional 11 months to travel. This includes all currently valid and all new electronic travel certificates issued on or after April 1, 2020.
We have removed some redeposit fees for the rest of the year.
  • We are currently waiving all award redeposit fees for travel through end of May 2020.
  • We are now also waiving all redeposit fees for award ticket cancellations made more than 30 days before departure for the remainder of 2020.
Finally, we'll be making it easier to earn status in 2021 for the 2022 program year. We recognize that getting back to travel will occur at a different pace for different members. Keep an eye out for changes we will make to help you earn status in 2021 for 2022, as we'll share details later this year.

Over the years, you have placed your trust and loyalty in United, and we are honored to do the same for you. We are all in this together.

Status extension to January 31, 2022, applies to all members that met the published criteria of the MileagePlus program in 2019, status associated with the United/Marriott RewardsPlus program and status offered as part of a Sales nomination. Status granted from other programs and policies may not apply.
FAQ
With extended status. will we automatically get additional PlusPoints in 2021 (40 for Plats and 280 for 1KsGS?

No, your existing PlusPoints will be extended 6 months but to get additional 2021 PlusPoints you will need to meet the reduced thresholds for 2020

[5 April 2020] Status extended 1 year - United Hub
- Status extended 1 year (expires 1/31/22)
- Plus Points extended 6 months
- Lower qualifying thresholds to gain 2021 status in 2020 (about 50%)

[5 April 2020] United will extend Premier status for 12 months (SF Gate):
United will announce on Sunday that it is extending elite status to MileagePlus Premier members through 2021 and members will retain their current status through January 2022. This follows a similar move by Delta Air Lines on April 4 to extend SkyMiles Medallion elite status to 2021.

A United spokesperson has confirmed this to SFGATE, adding: "We are also going to help both general members and members who want to reach the next status level by lowering thresholds for Premier Qualifying Points (PQP’s) for the 2021 status year."

In addition to the elite status extension, United will extend all its annual subscription options by six months, including United Club memberships, wi-fi, checked bags and EconomyPlus, according to the spokesperson.
-------------

[7 March 2020] A message to our Premier members (email):
At this time, we are not planning any changes for our 2021 Premier program but we will continue to evaluate our options as we learn more about how the current climate is affecting members' activity. In the interim though, we do plan to give members who are participating in a MileagePlus 2020 Premier Status Match Challenge promotion an additional 30 days to complete their challenge. This extension will automatically be reflected in member accounts within the next week.
-------------
Originally Posted by Sykes
There's a good (but not exhaustive) crowdsourced list of company travel restrictions here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...bWhYFM/preview .....
Originally Posted by Fims
Hey there!

As true loyalty is best tested in challenging times, I did a bit of research on how different airlines and hotel programmes have responded:
  • 74 airline loyalty responses (status, miles expiration extensions) and booking flexibility terms (changes and refunds)
  • 18 hotel loyalty responses (status, points expiration extensions) and booking flexibility terms (changes and refunds)
The full outcome is freely available at https://bit.ly/loyalty-response-covid19

Feel free to comment that Google Sheets file and if you have some better insights, let me know (I used only what was available on English-speaking websites and some blog posts I could find, showing emails from the programmes). ....

Print Wikipost

UA • CONFIRMS • Status Extension to JAN 2022; PQP Thresholds Reduced by ½ for 2020

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2020, 10:54 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Can not vouch for the accuracy but Full overview of airlines/hotels COVID19 responses (loyalty+bookings) comparison

Originally Posted by Fims
Hey there!

As true loyalty is best tested in challenging times, I did a bit of research on how different airlines and hotel programmes have responded:
  • 74 airline loyalty responses (status, miles expiration extensions) and booking flexibility terms (changes and refunds)
  • 18 hotel loyalty responses (status, points expiration extensions) and booking flexibility terms (changes and refunds)
The full outcome is freely available at https://bit.ly/loyalty-response-covid19

Feel free to comment that Google Sheets file and if you have some better insights, let me know (I used only what was available on English-speaking websites and some blog posts I could find, showing emails from the programmes). ....
Fims likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 11:46 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
... And by not flying UA for the rest of 2020, you may not earn many PlusPoints, which are a major motivator for some Premiers.
The motivator for me, as someone who is spending their own money, is the ability to earn and use Plus Points. I have some flexibility with travel dates so have generally been able to use all my Plus Points. I have total control over which airline gets my spend.

If corporate customers cut back on their travel budgets then United will need pax like me. In fairness so will OAL. The change to the PQP system meant I was already looking at OAL for my 2021 spend as no PlusPoints. If United wants any of my business in 2021 an extension of my 1K status and ability to use my unused PlusPoints would give then that business during the recovery. If not, then all airlines will be my choice.

I do understand why nothing has been published yet. Trying to deal with the absolute meltdown of their industry is a higher priority but as others have noted, other programs (airlines and hotels) have sent communications stating either what they are doing or will be announcing something when the dust settles. Perhaps United does not believe 2021 will be a buyer's market and customer service an important feature - the halcyon days of the 2000 teens should be a distant memory for the airline.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 11:57 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
I suspect that dealing with FF programs is probably number 149 on UA's priority list of things that have to get done.
manstein58 likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 12:23 pm

Programs: United 1K, Bonvoy Ambassador / Lifetime Titanium
Just personal opinion here - and hotel status is clearly different than airline status, for a number of different reasons - but Hilton's plan rollout today was probably the best and biggest step forward in terms of what we might be able to expect from airlines like United. Here's hoping something similar is in the works.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I do understand why nothing has been published yet. Trying to deal with the absolute meltdown of their industry is a higher priority but as others have noted, other programs (airlines and hotels) have sent communications stating either what they are doing or will be announcing something when the dust settles. Perhaps United does not believe 2021 will be a buyer's market and customer service an important feature - the halcyon days of the 2000 teens should be a distant memory for the airline.
They didn't message it as nicely as some others, but they did in a sense, say that they will be figuring it out 'when the dust settles'. From an email to Premier members (I received on March 7):

We've made changes to our international and domestic schedules, and those reductions — combined with your own corporate travel policies and personal travel choices — may impact some of your flying activity in the near-term. And we appreciate that some of our members are concerned about retaining and earning the status levels they anticipated prior to the coronavirus outbreak.

At this time, we are not planning any changes for our 2021 Premier program but we will continue to evaluate our options as we learn more about how the current climate is affecting members' activity. In the interim though, we do plan to give members who are participating in a MileagePlus 2020 Premier Status Match Challenge promotion an additional 30 days to complete their challenge. This extension will automatically be reflected in member accounts within the next week.

I will stay in touch to keep you aware of any further decisions or adjustments and, as always, want to thank you for your continued relationship, and for your loyalty to United....

So, no, not as nice, or massaged, as, say, Delta's message. Sure, they could have left out they aren't planning changes right now and perhaps in hindsight, they realize that. But essentially, it's the same 'we'll announce something when the dust settles' that you are asking about.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by J.Edward
1. Hilton HHonors extends all pending downgrades (their cutoff is 3/31/2020 not 1/31/2020) through 2021. This would be the equivalent of UA extending 2019 status expiration's date from JAN 31 2020 to JAN 31 2021.
2. Hilton HHonors is extending all status earned during 2020 for two years. In UA terms, this would mean if you qualified for 1K in 2020, you would hold the status through at least JAN 31, 2022,
Holding off on downgrades for failed requals for another year makes a lot of sense. Directly contrary to Marriott who just downgraded all the failed requals 2-3 days ago (20+ days after it should have happened).
Extending status earned this year for 2 years sends the wrong message in terms of public safety at this point in time, IMO. Encouraging people to travel should wait until it's safer to do so.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by mduell
Holding off on downgrades for failed requals for another year makes a lot of sense. Directly contrary to Marriott who just downgraded all the failed requals 2-3 days ago (20+ days after it should have happened).
Extending status earned this year for 2 years sends the wrong message in terms of public safety at this point in time, IMO. Encouraging people to travel should wait until it's safer to do so.
Extending status now doesn't encourage people to travel now. It gives people peace of mind that their status is secure, that the airline does have their back during this time (which is good for the airline too to retain those customers and appear customer friendly) and encourages them to fly with the airline once things get back to normal as they will continue to enjoy the benefits of their tier.
ecofreak likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bmw303
Extending status now doesn't encourage people to travel now. It gives people peace of mind that their status is secure, that the airline does have their back during this time (which is good for the airline too to retain those customers and appear customer friendly) and encourages them to fly with the airline once things get back to normal as they will continue to enjoy the benefits of their tier.
I support the status extensions. Hilton is also encouraging people to qualify in 2020, that's the part I'm balking at.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
with flights being incredibly inexpensive right now, hitting even the spend for silver is going to be tough. If this year was last year, I'm half way to silver now, and based on what had been planned I'd have hit gold with zero issues. I don't see a silver re-qualify. Might switch to American depending on how everything pans out when this whole pandemic settles.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 2:11 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Ladies & Gentlemen - This is a fruitless conversation as United will NOT make a decision on this without following the steps of Delta.
You all need to watch what Delta does with their FF program and maybe AA to understand what United will choose. If neither of those carriers changes - don't expect UA to make a change. If one or both of those carriers change - UA will follow (not lead) and within days makes an announcement.
Boraxo and Fims like this.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K; HA Pualani Gold, SWA A-List; Aloha Silver (RIP); HH Gold
Being Platinum and no way being able to requalify, based on my long haul lower fares, I already started looking at and booking other airlines before all of this. If United allowed my status to remain for another year, I don't think I would do anything different next year. Going back to the previous qualifications would be the only thing that would make me reconsider. Thank goodness for obtaining my MM status (until they take that benefit away).
SPN Lifer and kb1992 like this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 5:18 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by RooseveltL
Ladies & Gentlemen - This is a fruitless conversation as United will NOT make a decision on this without following the steps of Delta.
You all need to watch what Delta does with their FF program and maybe AA to understand what United will choose. If neither of those carriers changes - don't expect UA to make a change. If one or both of those carriers change - UA will follow (not lead) and within days makes an announcement.
I wish that this were true, but alas, it isn't.

UA has disenfranchised it's lifetime club members by requiring them to have a valid UA or *A ticket on the day of travel, unlike AA or DL who (initially) instituted the same requirement but reverted back to the original rules after a raft of complaints from those affected by the change.

So, sadly, I do not foresee changes based on what either DL or AA does in regards to just about anything.
SPN Lifer and RooseveltL like this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 5:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RooseveltL
didnt stop UA from going to the pqp pqf nonsense and jacking up premier requirements.
RooseveltL likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 7:22 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
didnt stop UA from going to the pqp pqf nonsense and jacking up premier requirements.
They should apply the flight credits we are getting instead of refunds to our current PQP totals since they are basically just after, have already received, and refuse to refund our money.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 7:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
They should apply the flight credits we are getting instead of refunds to our current PQP totals since they are basically just after, have already received, and refuse to refund our money.
That might help folks who have had a lot of flights booked previously, but had to cancel them. What about folks who book flights last minute and are now hesitant to book them?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.