Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA • CONFIRMS • Status Extension to JAN 2022; PQP Thresholds Reduced by ½ for 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2020, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
05April 2020
MileagePlus Status Extended Until 2022

Throughout these unprecedented times, we remain committed to doing what is right and fair for all of our MileagePlus members and are pleased to share the steps we are taking to reciprocate the trust and loyalty that you have placed in United. These steps include not only Premier status updates, but also an extension of current memberships and subscriptions. The updates will happen automatically over the next few weeks — there's nothing you need to do.

The big news: If you have current 2020 Premier status, it will be extended to January 31, 2022. At a minimum, you will enjoy the same published status next year that you have today, up to Premier 1K®.

We're reducing the 2020 Premier qualifying points (PQP) and flight requirements for all tiers by 50%. You'll still need a minimum of four flight segments on United or United Express®.

We're also doubling PQP for United Explorer cards and quadrupling PQP for the United Club cards.

At the same time that we're decreasing the published program's PQP requirements, via a promotion from May 1 – December 31, 2020, we're doubling (for United Explorer cards) or quadrupling (for United Club cards) the maximum number of PQP that Cardmembers can earn during 2020 to help achieve a higher level of status than you already have.

1K® and Platinum members, we're increasing your ability to upgrade by extending PlusPoints expiration dates by six months and expanding Skip Waitlist.
  • This means a six-month extension of any PlusPoints set to expire on or before January 31, 2021.
  • Last year we introduced Skip Waitlist on select flights as a benefit to 1K members, giving you more opportunities to confirm an upgrade request at the time of booking. This benefit will now be available for the rest of 2020 in a significantly expanded selection of long-haul international regions and will have expanded availability in 2021 as well.
We're extending all annual membership and subscription benefits by six months.
  • We want to make sure your benefits are still there when you're ready to start flying again. That's why we're extending purchased United Club℠ memberships and purchased subscriptions for Economy Plus®, United Wi-Fi℠ and checked bags by six months. You should see this reflected in your MileagePlus account soon.
All electronic travel certificates now have 24 months to be used.
  • If your travel plans have been disrupted, and you have an electronic travel certificate from us for the value of your ticket, you now have two years from the date it was issued to book a new flight, as well as up to an additional 11 months to travel. This includes all currently valid and all new electronic travel certificates issued on or after April 1, 2020.
We have removed some redeposit fees for the rest of the year.
  • We are currently waiving all award redeposit fees for travel through end of May 2020.
  • We are now also waiving all redeposit fees for award ticket cancellations made more than 30 days before departure for the remainder of 2020.
Finally, we'll be making it easier to earn status in 2021 for the 2022 program year. We recognize that getting back to travel will occur at a different pace for different members. Keep an eye out for changes we will make to help you earn status in 2021 for 2022, as we'll share details later this year.

Over the years, you have placed your trust and loyalty in United, and we are honored to do the same for you. We are all in this together.

Status extension to January 31, 2022, applies to all members that met the published criteria of the MileagePlus program in 2019, status associated with the United/Marriott RewardsPlus program and status offered as part of a Sales nomination. Status granted from other programs and policies may not apply.
FAQ
With extended status. will we automatically get additional PlusPoints in 2021 (40 for Plats and 280 for 1KsGS?

No, your existing PlusPoints will be extended 6 months but to get additional 2021 PlusPoints you will need to meet the reduced thresholds for 2020

[5 April 2020] Status extended 1 year - United Hub
- Status extended 1 year (expires 1/31/22)
- Plus Points extended 6 months
- Lower qualifying thresholds to gain 2021 status in 2020 (about 50%)

[5 April 2020] United will extend Premier status for 12 months (SF Gate):
United will announce on Sunday that it is extending elite status to MileagePlus Premier members through 2021 and members will retain their current status through January 2022. This follows a similar move by Delta Air Lines on April 4 to extend SkyMiles Medallion elite status to 2021.

A United spokesperson has confirmed this to SFGATE, adding: "We are also going to help both general members and members who want to reach the next status level by lowering thresholds for Premier Qualifying Points (PQP’s) for the 2021 status year."

In addition to the elite status extension, United will extend all its annual subscription options by six months, including United Club memberships, wi-fi, checked bags and EconomyPlus, according to the spokesperson.
-------------

[7 March 2020] A message to our Premier members (email):
At this time, we are not planning any changes for our 2021 Premier program but we will continue to evaluate our options as we learn more about how the current climate is affecting members' activity. In the interim though, we do plan to give members who are participating in a MileagePlus 2020 Premier Status Match Challenge promotion an additional 30 days to complete their challenge. This extension will automatically be reflected in member accounts within the next week.
-------------
Originally Posted by Sykes
There's a good (but not exhaustive) crowdsourced list of company travel restrictions here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...bWhYFM/preview .....
Originally Posted by Fims
Hey there!

As true loyalty is best tested in challenging times, I did a bit of research on how different airlines and hotel programmes have responded:
  • 74 airline loyalty responses (status, miles expiration extensions) and booking flexibility terms (changes and refunds)
  • 18 hotel loyalty responses (status, points expiration extensions) and booking flexibility terms (changes and refunds)
The full outcome is freely available at https://bit.ly/loyalty-response-covid19

Feel free to comment that Google Sheets file and if you have some better insights, let me know (I used only what was available on English-speaking websites and some blog posts I could find, showing emails from the programmes). ....

Print Wikipost

UA • CONFIRMS • Status Extension to JAN 2022; PQP Thresholds Reduced by ½ for 2020

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2020, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA GS / 1MM, MR Ambassador / LTTE, Hertz Platinum
Does anyone know if the 30 day extension applies to global services challenges? I lost GS last year but got a challenge and there’s no way I’ll get the $18k by end of April due to restricted travel.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 4:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by coolbeans202
I thought the email was a good communications effort on UA's part. At least they're telling us something.
I agree. Some of us here assumed UA wasn’t even considering this angle. Obviously enough folks have asked the question so they responded.

Truth is nobody knows the answer. But if we are all grounded into Q3 I assume they will do something.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Parikh1234
Does anyone know if the 30 day extension applies to global services challenges? I lost GS last year but got a challenge and there’s no way I’ll get the $18k by end of April due to restricted travel.
I don’t think so - I just checked my challenge and it still says end of April
Old Mar 7, 2020, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by cfischer
Poor and poorly written are 2 very different things ...
obviously
We can't demand UA to do anything for any of us. This is a straightly business decision. Beside - this is not yet a final decision. So to say, how UA handled this (i.e. poor) is immature.

However, the email is indeed poorly written. UA's business is in jeopardy because of the coronavirus situation. So sending an email addressing what UA will do can provide assurance to its customers. But when UA starts using the term "no plan", regardless how it will turn out, it gives an impression that UA does not even care, making its loyal customers even panicking more. And distinguishing normal elites against challenging elites? That optic isn't good.

UA screwed up a lot in the PR perspective. I would say UA has not learned its lesson well since Dao incident.

I thought the email was a good communications effort on UA's part. At least they're telling us something.
UA can simply say, due to the developing situation, we can't be certain how we can help our elite customers. And we will provide an update as soon as things are more clear. Using the word "no plan"? Be honest does not mean you can win your customers.
Halo117 likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 6:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by almostfrench0612
Originally Posted by Parikh1234
I don’t think so - I just checked my challenge and it still says end of April
Probably too early to know.
The UA letter about non-GS challenges stated
This extension will automatically be reflected in member accounts within the next week.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I agree, as well. They don’t have the full plan since no one really knows exactly where this is going, or how far down the path the disruption will take us. We basically all know that, but they are saying that they will be evaluating. Completely makes sense to me.

Originally Posted by garykung

However, the email is indeed poorly written. UA's business is in jeopardy because of the coronavirus situation. So sending an email addressing what UA will do can provide assurance to its customers. But when UA starts using the term "no plan", regardless how it will turn out, it gives an impression that UA does not even care, making its loyal customers even panicking more. And distinguishing normal elites against challenging elites? That optic isn't good.
not sure if you got the same email as me - I looked back multiple times for the words ‘no plan’, and never saw that at all. my best guess is you are referring to this sentence:

At this time, we are not planning any changes for our 2021 Premier program but we will continue to evaluate our options as we learn more about how the current climate is affecting members' activity.
it doesn’t say they have no plan, it literally says they are not planning any changes, presumably, at this moment. Also specifically says they will look at options as they see how much this thing affects air travel (my read: how long these biz travel bans are in effect, since that is likely the biggest impact to how much, specifically their premier members, will travel.

As to challenge vs. earned premier status, I can see your point, but given the difference where challenges are all short term, while folks have longer to make up for regularly earned status, I suspect this is the reason. If travel bounces back fairly quickly (IMO, doubtful), then they likely don’t need to make changes. If this goes on longer term (3, 4, 6+ months, which I suspect it will, not to mention any further general economic impacts (ie, recession), which are more likely the longer this goes on at at least the status quo), and I bet you’ll start to see either status extensions or offers. ie, they will look at those options if they feel they need to.
UA can simply say, due to the developing situation, we can't be certain how we can help our elite customers. And we will provide an update as soon as things are more clear. Using the word "no plan"? Be honest does not mean you can win your customers.
IMO, they basically said this. Yes, the specific words are different, but basically, the same thing.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 3:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA PG, IHG Diamond Amb
I think they are phrasing it negatively to encourage people to travel, i.e. that if they say we will extend qualifying or similar, frequent fliers would reduce travel even more.
So on one hand they can't say nothing, but on the other they don't want to make their situation even worse.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 3:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Don’t get hung up on semantics. They could easily have said ‘no intentions’ which I think is right anyway. There is no way they will hand out elite freebies this early in the year. Perhaps in December there may be a bit of tallying up, but not now.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 9:13 am

Programs: UA Plat/*G, Marriott LT Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by chrisl137
It's agency dependent, and probably depends on departments or divisions, as well. I work mostly on contract from one agency that has suspended non-essential international travel, but still normal on domestic travel. At least one other poster who works at an FFRDC has also posted that they've gotten no guidance at all from their contracting agency.
I work for a large agency with a sizable overseas workforce, and we just this week finally received guidance. Only mission-critical travel is allowed (both domestic and international) and must be approved in advance at the A/S level. Also discussion of ramping up remote work in the near future. No restrictions on personal travel, besides strongly discouraging travel to current hotspots. No travel effects for me, but I've had a few subordinates who had to cancel travel (including a trip to SE Asia that involved some creative routing to avoid hotspots).

I recently moved to a largely no-travel position so I was expecting to lose all status at the end of this year anyway.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 10:04 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Same here. Only absolutely necessary travel is being allowed for me at this point too, which means I am grounded. Missing out on 2 TPAC trips this year already, and potentially a third. Without those trips, my domestic travel will only be enough to maintain Gold (I'm MM so that doesn't even matter). The int'l would have easily put me over 18K PQP. I won't even hit 6K, especially if this drags on for months, which I am suspecting may happen now. I have been 1K for 5 years and GS for another 4 years. I would hate to see my status drop to G, especially when the year started out in a strong pattern.

I suspect that if this drags on for several months and UA does not change their qualification requirements, FAR fewer people will have status next year.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 10:55 am

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
UA's business is in jeopardy because of the coronavirus situation. So sending an email addressing what UA will do can provide assurance to its customers. But when UA starts using the term "no plan", regardless how it will turn out, it gives an impression that UA does not even care, making its loyal customers even panicking more.
The actual statement was that they have no plan at this time ("...we are not planning any changes for our 2021 Premier program but we will continue to evaluate our options as we learn more..."), which is corporate speak for "we definitely have been talking about plans, but we don't want to reveal them right now for business reasons."

They would be insane to announce a status extension now -- why would they want to further kill demand? Leave that announcement for the fall, when it can't affect booking behavior any more.

And distinguishing normal elites against challenging elites? That optic isn't good.
Of course they have to announce the challenge extension now; for those people it is already "the fall" of their challenge periods.

At the end of the day UA will make a simple business decision. If too many current elites cut travel in 2020, and they don't want to risk large-scale defections to DL and AA via status match, they'll do an extension. If not, they won't. Factors that will have no impact on the decision are things like "loyalty", "earning things the hard way", or whose money paid for your tickets.

Every airline will be doing the same analysis, but there is no reason to announce it at the beginning of the year. That would be silly.
jjmoore and Repooc17 like this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 1:26 pm

Programs: Marriot Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by milypan
At the end of the day UA will make a simple business decision. If too many current elites cut travel in 2020, and they don't want to risk large-scale defections to DL and AA via status match, they'll do an extension.
I've always wondered about this. Aren't status matches a once-per-lifetime event? I.e. if I status match to AA then I cannot status match at AA in the future, correct? Maybe I'm in the minority but I wouldn't status match unless I was serious about switching loyalty on a mostly permanent basis, no?
Old Mar 9, 2020, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mrmoo
I've always wondered about this. Aren't status matches a once-per-lifetime event? I.e. if I status match to AA then I cannot status match at AA in the future, correct? Maybe I'm in the minority but I wouldn't status match unless I was serious about switching loyalty on a mostly permanent basis, no?
Each company has its own rules. Once every five years or so appears to be normal.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 1:30 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by mrmoo
Varies by airline. AS is "once in a lifetime", though I doubt that's strictly enforced. UA is once every five years, and I believe through my employer's travel program we qualify once every three years. DL is once every three years. AA you actually have to pay $200 to start the challenge, so they probably don't care how often you do it.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 2:18 pm

Programs: Marriot Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
Each company has its own rules. Once every five years or so appears to be normal.
Originally Posted by milypan
Varies by airline. AS is "once in a lifetime", though I doubt that's strictly enforced. UA is once every five years, and I believe through my employer's travel program we qualify once every three years. DL is once every three years. AA you actually have to pay $200 to start the challenge, so they probably don't care how often you do it.
Interesting, thanks for the information. I've always shyed away from these matching programs because I didn't want to burn my lifetime ticket. If things do go south for UA and me, maybe I'll see what AA or DL is like for a few years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.