Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Plus Points Domestic / Non-Polaris upgrade SUCESS 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 13, 2021, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
PlusPoints Domestic / non-Polaris flight upgrade SUCCESS 2021

Consider posting:
1. Route
2. Date
3. Fare class
4. Y-O, Y-J, O-J (O=PremiumPlus)
5. # of PlusPoints
6. How many days/weeks in advance ticket was purchased
7. How many hours/days/weeks before departure did upgrade clear

Related threads

PlusPoints NON-Polaris flight upgrade Failure 2021
PlusPoints Polaris flight upgrade SUCCESS 2021
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2020, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM, BonVoy Lifetime Titanium

Greetings all,
I've seen lengthy threads about Polaris upgrade success on the new system but nothing on domestic upgrade success using points so apologies if this has been discussed elswhere.

I just flew the first part of a PDX-IAH-BNA=>BNA-IAH-PDX round trip. My first leg to Houston cleared into 1st maybe 10 hours before departure (So much for 1K clearing at 96 hours). Second leg upgrade did not clear but my account was charged the full 20 points. Is this the way it is supposed to work? I would love to have 10 points back. Just about ready to fly the return so I'll see what happens. I'm on both upgrade lists (fare class L).
If they deduct the full 20 points for a 2 segment transcon where only one leg clears that is a big disappontment with the new system IMHO. Perhaps they only deduct points if the longer segment clears??

cheers,
-R
Old Feb 12, 2020, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by royehill
I just flew the first part of a PDX-IAH-BNA=>BNA-IAH-PDX round trip. My first leg to Houston cleared into 1st maybe 10 hours before departure (So much for 1K clearing at 96 hours).
The T-96 window for 1K refers to CPUs. PlusPoint upgrades can clear at any point.

Second leg upgrade did not clear but my account was charged the full 20 points. Is this the way it is supposed to work?
Yes.
If they deduct the full 20 points for a 2 segment transcon where only one leg clears that is a big disappontment with the new system IMHO.
The old system worked exactly the same way.
Often1 likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
1Ks are eligible for complimentary upgrades up to 96 hours; there's no statement any upgrade, complimentary or supported, will clear at that time.

Yes, it's 20 points for any domestic flights or one way trip, regardless of the number or length of segments cleared. This is the same way RPUs worked before.
jsloan and Often1 like this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA MM
Greetings all,
I've seen lengthy threads about Polaris upgrade success on the new system but nothing on domestic upgrade success using points so apologies if this has been discussed elswhere.

I just flew the first part of a PDX-IAH-BNA=>BNA-IAH-PDX round trip. My first leg to Houston cleared into 1st maybe 10 hours before departure (So much for 1K clearing at 96 hours). Second leg upgrade did not clear but my account was charged the full 20 points. Is this the way it is supposed to work? I would love to have 10 points back. Just about ready to fly the return so I'll see what happens. I'm on both upgrade lists (fare class L).
If they deduct the full 20 points for a 2 segment transcon where only one leg clears that is a big disappontment with the new system IMHO. Perhaps they only deduct points if the longer segment clears??

cheers,
-R
Others have already stated the process worked correctly. A common approach is to request a +P upgrade for only the flight you really care about using 20 points on. It’s possible to select only one of two (or more) flights. If that one (presumably the longer one) doesn’t clear then you haven’t potentially wasted 20 points on the shorter one.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 8:12 pm

You need to call in. It's annoying.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFO_LOW_CLOUDS
You need to call in. It's annoying.
Call in for what? The system worked as designed, the same way that RPUs did.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
Call in for what? The system worked as designed, the same way that RPUs did.
I presume they mean call in to waitlist a single segment.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
If this is an upgrade success thread like the name implies, allow me to get this party started:
1. Flight: EWR-SFO
2. Date of flight: 1/23/2020
3. Date booked: October 2019
4. Fare basis: R
5. Cabin upgrade: O -> J
6. Date of upgrade: While on board a few minutes before doors closed
7. Number of PlusPoints: 10 (GS upgrade)
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by flyingrohit
If this is an upgrade success thread like the name implies, allow me to get this party started:
1. Flight: EWR-SFO
2. Date of flight: 1/23/2020
3. Date booked: October 2019
4. Fare basis: R
5. Cabin upgrade: O -> J
6. Date of upgrade: While on board a few minutes before doors closed
7. Number of PlusPoints: 10 (GS upgrade)
Is this the only way to use 10 pluspoints? That is all I have left for 2020.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by Dpetryszyn
I believe so. On Transcon flights operated by a 781, Premium Plus to Business is 10 PlusPoints. I think even economy to domestic first is 20 PP?
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dpetryszyn
Originally Posted by flyingrohit
I believe so. On Transcon flights operated by a 781, Premium Plus to Business is 10 PlusPoints. I think even economy to domestic first is 20 PP?
Indeed, yes.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sexykitten7
I presume they mean call in to waitlist a single segment.
There's no need. The PlusPoints interface allows you to select whichever segments you want.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 9:17 pm

Should've been 30 PlusPoints because I was flying BOM-EWR-SFO, but United decided to screw me over and not waitlist me in the right place for the BOM-EWR segment, so had to drop additional 10 to individually segment the second flight as well...
sexykitten7 likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 7:08 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
There's no need. The PlusPoints interface allows you to select whichever segments you want.
Wow! Did not know that. Quite the improvement! Of course, that comes with its own problems as my many semi-failed plan Bs show...
Old Feb 15, 2020, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM, BonVoy Lifetime Titanium
Follow up on the remainder of my trip:
Return BNA-IAH-PDX ATC hold on the tarmac @BNA scorched my connection time. Missed flight to PDX out of IAH.
Called 1K Voice, got booked into a middle seat on the next non-stop to PDX...8 hour layover @IAH
Headed to the United club concourse C (This is why it pays to have an actual membership kids).
Checked with the agent in the club (She is the epitome of customer service, I recognized her separately by name when I reviewed my trip). She took my luggage tag, my boarding pass and told me to relax and get something to eat.
Came back 40 mintes later with a new boarding pass for a 2:20 departure to SEA with a Alaska Airlines BP from SEA to PDX...Interlined my bag and did all of this with effeiniency and a smile on her face.
Cleared the IAH-SEA at the gate (No Plus Points, CPU).
Luggage was late but delivered to my home and Alaska gave $50 voucher for the inconveneience

Overall, United did an amazing job and customer service at IAH was exemplary.

Cheers,
-R
JimInOhio likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.