Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Do United executives know that nobody like the angled Polaris business class seat?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do United executives know that nobody like the angled Polaris business class seat?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2020, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM
Originally Posted by ryman554
I am going to try an angled seat on my next 78x Polaris adventure. The straight seats are just too narrow for me to turn/roll around in and/or side sleep, and I'm hoping the extra open space (to get hit by the beverage cart...) is enough to adjust whilst sleeping.
On the 787-10 at least, I had a forward facing seat and because of the curvature of the fuselage, it was too narrow for me to lie flat and still fit my fairly broad shoulders. I now choose the angled middle or side seats because in my experience those feel more spacious. I don't think the privacy is any worse than in the straight facing seats.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 3:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by EWR764
If you were scoring a higher upgrade percentage with the IPTE configuration, it's not because of the number of seats in the cabin. Generally, with the Polaris mods, there are the same or more premium seats than before.
But way more Y seats to potentially compete with for UGs (10 across)

The last couple IPTE are the best 777 Y in the sky
Old Feb 3, 2020, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
I prefer the straight facing seats as I can squeeze in just fine and don't feel too cramped, but the angled seats are fine and worth it if it means more seats for sale/upgrade.

People compare (and complain about) certain things when they differ. Comparisons are natural. Non-bulkhead / rear-facing / the 1 in 2-1-2 / and so on.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 3:34 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Be careful with superlatives. I would book (read: buy, I don't have UA elite status) an angled one because I don't like having to squeeze past the side table.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 3:38 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Vangrovsky
They had so many green ones, even us lowly assistants sometimes get to drive them to run errands and sometimes even to drive home on the weekends. I drove one back to school once and my friends said "ewwww.... why is your Mercedes in that god awful green color?" I never forgot that remark...

It was this green: https://www.benzworld.org/attachment...pm-jpg.159270/
Hey now, I actually like that green.
SPN Lifer and iapetus like this.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 4:25 pm

As Long as the seat lays flat so I can zonk out I don’t care.

Many other things to rag on UA service but this ain’t one of them IMO.
JimInOhio likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 5:04 pm

I know a ton of people who fly Polaris and do not care one way or another. They just want a bed.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Nobody = OP. Enough said.
st3, JimInOhio, bart889 and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler 1K, AA Plat, Delta Gold, Marriott Plat etc etc
Originally Posted by Vangrovsky

On my last 4 12 to 14-hour long haul flights on 777-300ER and 777-200, all the remaining seats on day of departure were angled seats.
Actually, I was upgraded to 5A recently, a straight-facing window, and was thrilled that I was given "The Best Seat on the Plane(tm)." But as others have mentioned, the gap to get in and out is small and hard to manage, especially if you have any knee, foot, or size issues. The table is next to the aisle and I knocked over my drink more than once. It felt cramped and awkward to me.

The Even/Angled seats have a wider entry gap, table next to the window, appears more spacious, and the difference in privacy is minimal. I'll take an even seat every time! Signed, "Nobody."
uastarflyer likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 8:59 pm

Programs: AA,UA,AS
Of all the things to complain about the Polaris experience the new seat is not near the top of the list.
WindowSeatFlyer likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 9:49 pm
Suspended

Location: The part of NC where we have electricity, paved roads, and high school diplomas.
Programs: AA Platinum
Paging “everyone hates the angled Polaris seats,” party of one...
Old Feb 3, 2020, 10:21 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Fraser
I like it! It's a classic Benz colour of the 1990s.

Not sure I'd buy it though, same with Polaris
I think you are making it out to be worse than it is. I would drive that color MB. And as stated in another post, the even numbered Polaris seats still beat the crappy old BusinessFirst seating of yesteryear. IMHO.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I suppose what they could have done is set them up so the angled ones face the window rather than the aisle, meaning the odd-numbered seats would be closer to the aisle with the ledge by the window...
Based on how hard it is to GET the "window with aisle table" seats on airlines like OZ I suspect you are in the minority there.....they are the first to go presumably because folks prefer to have that "barrier" between them and the aisle...it gives a much more private feel to the seat....
Old Feb 4, 2020, 12:32 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
And do you think they care that the food more closely resembles high school cafeteria than many other business class meals? I think you know the answer....
Excuse me, many high school cafeterias would be very upset to hear that you felt the food in Polaris was up to their standards
phkc070408 likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 2:01 am

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Looking at various seat map bookings, it’s clear that UA pax prefer the straight seats over the less private, angled (aisle facing) seats. If UA had added doors to these aisle facing seats, they’d have avoided the issue of good vs bad seats. Reverse herringbone seats (seat points away from aisle) are more preferred than the less private herringbone (seats face inwards, to aisle). UA likely didn’t want to pay for the cost and added weight of providing doors. They’re also a pain to certify, and UA had enough challenges developing this seat.
kevino likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.