FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA System Schedule changes (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2005760-ua-system-schedule-changes.html)

kirkwoodj Aug 15, 2023 10:12 am

Had TPAC change for January, makes connection a little shorter, but not uncomfortably so.

Beltway2A Aug 20, 2023 6:03 pm

Just got notification from AC that UA123 (morning LHR-IAD) was cancelled, and I've been rebooked on UA919 non-stop. Seems to have been reticketed as well, impressive for a partner award.

cfischer Aug 21, 2023 1:35 pm

UA has been running quite a few TATL and in particular LHR changes recently. Glad it all worked out.

sports1 Aug 23, 2023 10:10 pm

Was there a recent schedule change for international flights out of EWR? I was looking to book an itinerary in PY that involved a nonstop EWR > HKG (UA 179) in December 2023, but this itinerary can no longer be found on United's site.

jsloan Aug 23, 2023 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by sports1 (Post 35523144)
Was there a recent schedule change for international flights out of EWR? I was looking to book an itinerary in PY that involved a nonstop EWR > HKG (UA 179) in December 2023, but this itinerary can no longer be found on United's site.

UA hasn't operated EWR-HKG since pre-COVID and there's no reason to think they will start until / unless Russian airspace reopens.

sports1 Aug 24, 2023 12:15 am

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 35523225)
UA hasn't operated EWR-HKG since pre-COVID and there's no reason to think they will start until / unless Russian airspace reopens.

Yeah that's why I was a little surprised when I was browsing for flights. Saw it on Google Flights, confirmed it could be booked via United's site. I just didn't pull the trigger yet since I was trying to lock down dates.

It definitely was a bookable revenue fare, I had the price changes saved on GFlights - it was actually YYZ-EWR-HKG RT, with the EWR-HKG on UA179 and UA180 late December.

jsloan Aug 24, 2023 12:58 am

Originally Posted by sports1 (Post 35523294)
Yeah that's why I was a little surprised when I was browsing for flights. Saw it on Google Flights, confirmed it could be booked via United's site. I just didn't pull the trigger yet since I was trying to lock down dates.

Sorry, I probably should have added more detail. They’ve been keeping it on the schedule and progressively removing it a couple of months / a season at a time.

ethanaviation Aug 24, 2023 3:44 am

When do UA Schedule Change usually happen?

Does anyone have any insight or have noticed any patterns regarding when United usually makes schedule changes? For example, for the Nov-Dec schedule between NYC (LGA,EWR) and IAD, when is it usually finalized/ changed? I want to only book when I have a good idea of the schedule given that United only has 6X daily for IAD-LGA right now for the fall schedule but has 9X scheduled for the winter, which seems like a huge jump to me. Feel free to jump in with your thoughts. Thanks!

xliioper Aug 24, 2023 8:15 am

Originally Posted by ethanaviation (Post 35523574)
Does anyone have any insight or have noticed any patterns regarding when United usually makes schedule changes? For example, for the Nov-Dec schedule between NYC (LGA,EWR) and IAD, when is it usually finalized/ changed? I want to only book when I have a good idea of the schedule given that United only has 6X daily for IAD-LGA right now for the fall schedule but has 9X scheduled for the winter, which seems like a huge jump to me. Feel free to jump in with your thoughts. Thanks!

Final cuts to Sep/Oct IAD-LGA schedule to 6x daily were made this past weekend (they had already been reduced to 7x daily prior to this past weekend). Most changes to EWR schedule this past weekend were only to Oct schedule as Sep schedule is probably pretty well set. The exceptions were EWR-BOS and EWR-DCA flights which saw some cuts to both Sep and Oct schedules. I'd expect Nov/Dec schedules for IAD-LGA to be finalized by end of next month.

ethanaviation Aug 24, 2023 8:45 am

Originally Posted by xliioper (Post 35524171)
Final cuts to Sep/Oct IAD-LGA schedule to 6x daily were made this past weekend (they had already been reduced to 7x daily prior to this past weekend). Most changes to EWR schedule this past weekend were only to Oct schedule as Sep schedule is probably pretty well set. The exceptions were EWR-BOS and EWR-DCA flights which saw some cuts to both Sep and Oct schedules. I'd expect Nov/Dec schedules for IAD-LGA to be finalized by end of next month.

Wow thanks for the amazingly helpful insight! Do you know if the 7am departure for LGA-IAD is likely to stick? I'm skeptical because there's already a 6 am LGA-IAD and that was the one that's flying for the Sep/Oct schedule, but @xliioper you may know better. Thank you!

jsloan Aug 24, 2023 8:56 am

Originally Posted by ethanaviation (Post 35523574)
I want to only book when I have a good idea of the schedule

If your choice is United or another carrier, then I suppose this makes some amount of sense — although UA will give a refund when there’s an arrival or departure change of more than two hours.

If your choice is which United flight, this really makes no sense at all, as if you book a flight that you like, and they eliminate it, you can pick any other flight on the same day for no additional charge.

The only reason I wouldn’t be booking for November / December right now is that, with the exception of holiday travel, it’s a couple of months too early to expect UA’s best prices. But I certainly wouldn’t be worried about a schedule change, as a schedule change is pretty much all upside.

cfischer Aug 26, 2023 9:35 am

Got more December/January schedule changes last night. Pretty minor compared to the earlier changes.

emcampbe Aug 26, 2023 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 35524295)
If your choice is United or another carrier, then I suppose this makes some amount of sense — although UA will give a refund when there’s an arrival or departure change of more than two hours.

If your choice is which United flight, this really makes no sense at all, as if you book a flight that you like, and they eliminate it, you can pick any other flight on the same day for no additional charge.

The only reason I wouldn’t be booking for November / December right now is that, with the exception of holiday travel, it’s a couple of months too early to expect UA’s best prices. But I certainly wouldn’t be worried about a schedule change, as a schedule change is pretty much all upside.

agree, schedule changes are a good opportunity to make a change. Could be to your advantage if you want a higher priced peak flight, and can book a flight that has been on the chopping block, as if that trend continues, an agent will chnage you to the peak flight at no cost.

also probably good to point out that even purchasing a [non-be] fare that drops later, you can just ‘re-book’ to get a credit for the difference. It’s not cash back, sure, but if you’re not sure, this is a good fallback, so long as you regularly fly UA. In fact, sitting on $900+ in credits for the fam right now due to a summer flight to SIN dropping.

cfischer Aug 31, 2023 1:10 pm

Lots of January changes last night. Ugh.

Incl. some good ones. DEN-SFO 739 --> 789 :)

cfischer Sep 9, 2023 10:46 am

Got more January schedule changes last night ... that is #4 for that particular ticket. Kind of surprised UA keeps re-working their schedule that often ... is Covid back?