Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA2015 EWR-FLL 21 Jan 2020 -- upgrade list confusion due to multiple aircraft changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA2015 EWR-FLL 21 Jan 2020 -- upgrade list confusion due to multiple aircraft changes

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2020, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Edit: MIA-EWR

So I'm wondering if anyone on here has insights on this. I'm traveling in this flight today party of 3 and was on the upgrade list yesterday but the cabin was completely full. I wake up to a text about an aircraft swap and an email that my upgrade cleared. I go look at the upgrade list and see there are people listed as cleared who are not in business class seats.

My guess is they swapped to a plane with a larger business class and then swapped back. Any other thoughts? Also any thoughts on what they are going to do?

Last edited by myb821; Jan 21, 2020 at 6:20 am
Old Jan 21, 2020, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They did indeed swap from 752 to a 763 and then about 40 minutes later swap back to 752.

I suppose it looks like they have un-upgraded some who were swept forward in the swap, but I can't guess if they have finished cleaning that up.

For fun, take a look at how the website displays UA1886, which is the new flight assigned for that 763.

Old Jan 21, 2020, 6:59 am
Original Poster

They definitely didn't fix it all, as I'm in business seats which means 3 people who had seats yesterday, now don't. I guess it's possible someone cancelled but I doubt it.

Wonder, if I get downgraded am I due downgrade comp?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 21, 2020 at 4:39 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Jan 21, 2020, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, if you have a boarding pass for First now (makes things easier), and later you get pushed back, you can request the compensation.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ation-etc.html
Old Jan 21, 2020, 7:30 am

Programs: Silver MileagePlus, Diamond Hilton

There's people both confirmed and both on the standby list. My guess is the people on the standby list even though on the confirmed also are not sitting up front
Old Jan 21, 2020, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by COEWR2587
There's people both confirmed and both on the standby list. My guess is the people on the standby list even though on the confirmed also are not sitting up front
I mean yes, their cleared seat assignments are in the Y cabin

Pretty sure the two BIR/A are different people though.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 8:27 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by fumje
Yes, if you have a boarding pass for First now (makes things easier), and later you get pushed back, you can request the compensation.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ation-etc.html
Good luck getting that compensation if you 1) didn't pay for the upgrade and 2) never put butt in seat in Biz class. I would love to hear/see someone who was successful.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Update: got a call from United that they are oversold and looking for people willing to downgrade, gave $500 in certs pp. I'll call that a major win!
COEWR2587, jsloan, VRFast and 6 others like this.

Last edited by myb821; Jan 21, 2020 at 9:12 am
Old Jan 21, 2020, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Collierkr
Good luck getting that compensation if you 1) didn't pay for the upgrade and 2) never put butt in seat in Biz class. I would love to hear/see someone who was successful.
Originally Posted by myb821
Update: got a call from United that they are oversold and looking for people willing to downgrade, gave $500 in certs pp. I'll call that a major win!
I’d say that now you have.

UA’s policy is unambiguous. CPUs count for downgrade comp purposes.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by myb821
nice score!
Old Jan 21, 2020, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by jsloan

I’d say that now you have.

UA’s policy is unambiguous. CPUs count for downgrade comp purposes.
Was that for a paid upgrade? Or just a CPU? If latter, then so be it. I have now seen "it"! :-)

Last edited by Collierkr; Jan 21, 2020 at 4:36 pm Reason: clarity
Old Jan 21, 2020, 4:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA GS/1Mil Flyer, Pond scum on everything else.
We are a little topic drift here but I can tell you twice I have gotten CPU to first and then got 500 to downgrade. Easy money for short length flights.
jsloan and ContinentalFan like this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
$500 is the standard "downgrade" comp from first to coach on domestic segments (not sure about p.s. segments though).

I got the same last year when I was booked in paid first LAS-IAD-xxx (after so many issues with that ticket in the morning). I get to the gate to find out LAS-IAD had two in-op seats and they were supposed to be unbookable and blocked in inventory. Someone opened inventory for a quick second and I snagged it. They gave me $500 in vouchers.

-RM
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Collierkr
Was that for a paid upgrade? Or just a CPU? If latter, then so be it. I have now seen "it"! :-)
Was expiring plus points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.