Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Looking at doing a UR redemption. Use UA or LH?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2020, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AS

I'm looking at getting some TATL flights using Chase UR instead of converting to miles. For my plan to work, it has to be INN-FRA-SEA on 11/21/20. i don't think that will ever come up for an award redemption otherwise.

SO

Total route would be:

SEA-YVR-LHR AC

INN-FRA-SEA OS/LH

Now then...my UR codeshare options are to "buy" it with United ticketing or with Lufthansa ticketing. Is one a better choice in this circumstance? I don't have any status...just a regular ol' schmoe.

Thanks-
Old Jan 18, 2020, 9:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
UA my not ticket this flight since it has no UA flights. Maybe if you can find codeshares

For a number of reasons, codeshares should not be your first choice. And native flights on the ticket stock of the flight operator are generally a better choice -- may be easier to do cash upgrades, generally easier to get advance, seat assignments, some ease in irrops. ...

Do you plan to earn credit miles to some program?
Or attempt to earn status?
Old Jan 18, 2020, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

My plan was to book business class. I think that is something like 17,000 miles, which I would credit to my UA account.

As for status...I dont fly that much. Maybe a trip for work and then maybe to see my sister in San Diego and then the Florida pilgrimage in January, so 1-3 times per year.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 10:06 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by applegrcoug
My plan was to book business class. I think that is something like 17,000 miles, which I would credit to my UA account.
Creding to UA MP differs if done on UA stock (based on price) vs non-UA stock (based on flight miles). For business class, UA ticket stock is likely to earn the most UA miles.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
For business class, UA ticket stock is likely to earn the most UA miles.
Not necessarily.. I get 3,211 PQP for that itinerary booked on non-UA stock which is probably more than a deep discount Business fare.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by findark
Not necessarily.. I get 3,211 PQP for that itinerary booked on non-UA stock which is probably more than a deep discount Business fare.
So looking at the rules. UA gives me 5x based on fare or 17,500ish

LH/UA gives 1x miles to London, so 5,000ish and then 1.5x back, so 7,500ish.

Advantage UA. Then I completely forgot my company is a member of UAs corporate perks, and my family owns the company, so a double dip.

I'll probably just do UA even though they aren't operating a single flight. Last time I booked AC with UA I could select my seat. Sitting next to my six year old is probably another x factor. Go with what ya know I guess......

Thanks for helping me wrap my head around it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.