Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA to TAP separate tickets misconnect - HELP!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2020, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum

Yes, I know I did this to myself. Yes, I know I shouldn't have. Having said all that, is there any protection afforded to me, or am I totally screwed? What should I do now?

Hey all, I am sitting in ORD waiting to board my delayed flight to BOS. I am connecting on a separate ticket to TAP Portugal, which is currently showing on time. I can run, but I fear I might miss my flight. Do I have any recourse and is there anything that I should be doing while I'm sitting at the Wolfgang Puck's drinking my sorrows away? FWIW, I am a lowly Premier Silver and flying P fare to BOS and paid J to LIS (and then to MUC).

THANKS as always, FT community!
Old Jan 13, 2020, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
Yes, I know I did this to myself. Yes, I know I shouldn't have. Having said all that, is there any protection afforded to me, or am I totally screwed? What should I do now?

Hey all, I am sitting in ORD waiting to board my delayed flight to BOS. I am connecting on a separate ticket to TAP Portugal, which is currently showing on time. I can run, but I fear I might miss my flight. Do I have any recourse and is there anything that I should be doing while I'm sitting at the Wolfgang Puck's drinking my sorrows away? FWIW, I am a lowly Premier Silver and flying P fare to BOS and paid J to LIS (and then to MUC).

THANKS as always, FT community!
No, there's no protection. Is there an earlier flight to BOS? Check AA and DL. You can beg for someone to put you on those airlines, or just cancel your ticket and buy a flight with them.

Otherwise, you're at the mercy of TAP, depending upon what's in the fare rules for the ticket you purchased.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Yeah, checked those, no luck as I had connected in ORD from ASE and none of the DL or AA flights would have been feasible or depart later (theoretically) than this delayed UA flight.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 12:24 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Do you have luggage?

Once when a delay by United would have forced me to miss a train (2014). SAN-SFO-LHR with a paid train ticket to Manchester (which I showed the check-in counter staff) they rerouted me directly to MAN. I had allowed five (5) hours to get from LHR to Euston Station.

Another time (2012) I was supposed to connect in IST (EWR-IST) for a flight to Venice (separate ticket) and had allowed six (6) hours for the connection and was going to miss the flight. UA contacted TK and got them to reissue the nonrefundable ticket for another flight. This all occurred while I was sitting on the plane in EWR.

In neither case was UA required to do this but I did it put it to them that their delay was unreasonable and I should be able to expect to make a connection where I have allowed more than three (3) hours that I should not bear the cost of their delay in getting to my destination. My experiences also mean that I allow for connection times far in excess of MCTs. I am generally trying to get somewhere for a reason.

I am a 1K, so not sure if that made a difference.

Have you approached CS in the airport about the problem? Have you contacted TAP? Can you ask UA to contact TAP to try and rebook you?
Old Jan 13, 2020, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As a matter of general interest how much time did you have between the scheduled arrival and scheduled departure at BOS?

Any other Star Alliance flights that could get you to MUC?
Good luck.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

No luggage. I reached out to CS in the airport, and they quickly brushed me off telling me that its not their problem. I am working with UA on Twitter, and if that fails, I'll try to speak with TAP's "customer service" when I've had a few more drinks

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
As a matter of general interest how much time did you have between the scheduled arrival and scheduled departure at BOS?

Any other Star Alliance flights that could get you to MUC?
Good luck.
Thanks for the prayers. I had 1 hour and 20 minutes between flights scheduled. I wouldn't have normally done this, but work obligations kept me at work until late last night in Colorado.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 13, 2020 at 1:55 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Jan 13, 2020, 12:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
You want to contact TP before scheduled departure of the LIS flight; depending on fare rules, you may lose all value if you no-show.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
You want to contact TP before scheduled departure of the LIS flight; depending on fare rules, you may lose all value if you no-show.
THANKS for this!
Old Jan 13, 2020, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Paid J sounds like you may have some leeway with TP to get you to MUC (perhaps with LH). Again, it all depends on fare rules.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yeah.. something like "I had something come up and I needed to be in Chicago this morning, now everything is delayed... please help."
Old Jan 13, 2020, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the prayers. I had 1 hour and 20 minutes between flights scheduled. I wouldn't have normally done this, but work obligations kept me at work until late last night in Colorado.
Yikes!!
Bad weather in ORD at this of year is not unusual in my limited knowledge of USA winters
With separate tickets time to phone TP, before you have more drinks. May need more later in the day, to drown your sorrows
UAPremierGuy and chavala like this.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 1:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Yes, a painful lesson that there is no connection on separate tickets.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 2:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Ask TP about alternative TATL flights from a different USA gateway
Old Jan 13, 2020, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Paid J sounds like you may have some leeway with TP to get you to MUC (perhaps with LH). Again, it all depends on fare rules.
paid J to Europe on Tap is dirt cheap. No chance they will let the OP just take the LH non-stop which would cost several times the price paid.

I agree to work with TP and see if a flight the next day is an option. Routing via other US gateways would be a pain because then the UA ticket won't work anymore
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 2:08 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
If paid J, why not just refund or re-schedule?
Unless you are in some discounted business class?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.