Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How to find out if delay is weather-related?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2020, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

When the text message from United says that your "Plane coming into Ft Myers was delayed," what does that mean? I'm curious about whether it's really a mechanical or crew issue, but they want to avoid the admission. (BTW, next time I will ask for more specifics.)
Old Jan 6, 2020, 2:56 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Go to UA's Flight Status and enter your flight. Generally, there will be more information there.
Note on the United site it will show the last reason for the delay if there are multiple reasons.
And it will state if a operational reason -- the text message is just the bare essentials.

Also your can use services like www.FlightAware.com or www.FlightStats.com to dig a bit deeper.
Teton Cowgirl likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 6, 2020 at 3:01 pm
Old Jan 6, 2020, 7:22 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
You can/should also check www.faa.gov which gives airport status in conjunction to the previous message. You can check whether issue is at destination or origin. RSW rarely has weather delays (unless hurricane) so likely the problem is ATC placing a ground hold on all inbound aircrafts.
P.S. I'd also check the route/path of inbound aircraft as can be clear skies between RSW-EWR but if inbound bird is delayed from ORD - they should post due to late inbound aircraft which was delayed due to weather.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Teton Cowgirl
When the text message from United says that your "Plane coming into Ft Myers was delayed," what does that mean? I'm curious about whether it's really a mechanical or crew issue, but they want to avoid the admission. (BTW, next time I will ask for more specifics.)
There's no mandatory compensation laws in the US for delays, so there's very little incentive to "lie" about these things. The main case where it can make a difference is if you have an overnight delay where the CoC provides for a hotel room if the delay is due to something under there control. The airlines will typically give you some miles or a voucher as compensation for a significant delay, but they aren't obligated to give you anything beyond that and are most likely not even going to look into the reason for a delay should complain and ask for compensation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.