Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

EWR-PVG (Shanghai) Visa Check by non-gate agents

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2020, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold

Today I saw an incredibly long line at gate 138 at EWR for passport/visa check so I went over to Customer Service and asked them to do it. They flatly refused. I’ve never had such orneryness or refusal to do something that any agent should be able to do. I typically have the United Club agents do it but the pop up club was nightmarishly busy and I avoided it.

There were two agents at Customer Service and they just both argued that they could never do that and said only the gate for the flight could do so. What a bunch of crap. Maybe next time through I’ll buy a dozen “Visa OK” stamps and a red ink pad to pass out.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Perhaps a good topic during Festivus
kevflyer likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by tryathlete
Today I saw an incredibly long line at gate 138 at EWR for passport/visa check so I went over to Customer Service and asked them to do it. They flatly refused. I’ve never had such orneryness or refusal to do something that any agent should be able to do. I typically have the United Club agents do it but the pop up club was nightmarishly busy and I avoided it.

There were two agents at Customer Service and they just both argued that they could never do that and said only the gate for the flight could do so. What a bunch of crap. Maybe next time through I’ll buy a dozen “Visa OK” stamps and a red ink pad to pass out.

(bolding mine)

Sadly, they might have been right.
I know the Polaris lounge agents won't do the Visa check either. They seem to be leaving that task to the gate staff exclusively.

Never forget: you are at EWR after all!
Old Jan 3, 2020, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I've seen the gate staff have a list of people who's visa/etc hadn't already been checked, which they were crossing people off as they went. No idea if that's standard procedure or not, but I've seen it multiple times.

Obviously that wouldn't work if the service desk was to do it for you...
Old Jan 3, 2020, 2:53 pm

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
Hmm, I just stand in line to board and wait for them to come to me. Either as GS prior, or as G1. Is this a real issue?
FlyingNone likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by Imstevek
Hmm, I just stand in line to board and wait for them to come to me.
That's what I do too. Every now and then I will go to the gate agents beforehand, if they're not busy.
FlyingNone likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.