Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Has the Polaris Lounge Product been a Financial Success for UA so far?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has the Polaris Lounge Product been a Financial Success for UA so far?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2019, 10:20 am
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
There are plenty of flyer who barely make gold yet easily spend 24k in 3 trips to Europe.

Or DL ATL SkyClub Terminal F during peak hours, just as bad and no seats and mediocre food.

Exactly that’s my point. Delta let’s in a much wider variety of passengers and their lounges are Just as crowded not more crowded. This goes to show that delta makes it work.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 27, 2019 at 2:15 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member; please use multi-quote
Old Dec 27, 2019, 10:43 am
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by LAX_AUS_DL_FLYER
I've been reading up on a lot of trip reports on this forum and I'm curious in terms of how the Polaris Lounge product is doing financially.
Should UA offer a path for others to get into the lounge (especially at EWR where there are serious renovation issues) for additional revenue?
IIRC, airlines can charge a premium for partner premium class passengers. Probably one of the reasons UA took over the SQ and BR lounges in SFO.
I don't think they can charge as much for Y *G pax.
Originally Posted by LAX_AUS_DL_FLYER
Ooof, then I'm confused. I thought all INT'L flights in J had access to the Polaris Lounge. Which routes aren't?

Maybe let the Premium Plus PAX inside instead, IDK?
This might help:

And I don't think PP pax get access to the regular Clubs either!
Originally Posted by n8-the-gr8;
Many folks (myself included) do not eat twice. I eat in the Polaris lounge and forgo food on the plane. I’d rather sleep on the flight and skip the sub-par Polaris catering and instead enjoy the food in the lounge.
This, when possible. Short connections and/or limited lounges options on flights-to-the-US.

Originally Posted by Econfkids
It seems the UA connecting flights leave not much time to enjoy the lounge?
This. I wish they would just issue a polaris lounge "pass" that's good for 3 months or something from travel. I've had at least dozen flights where my connection was too tight and I had to go straight to the next flight or flying in/out of a non-polaris airport like DEN or LAX (in the past).
Old Dec 27, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: united
Originally Posted by Often1
1. You can bet that UA constantly analyzes the ROI for its PL product and adjusts the expansion, hard & soft product accordingly. That data is proprietary and cannot be linked to specific revenue items. It is all about finding the sweet spot. Something significantly nicer than the UC which also does not "blow the budget" necessitating astronomical ticket prices.

2. Expanding access causes overcrowding, causes a lack of differentiation of the premium brand, e.g. Polaris, and ultimately leads to what UA managed to do to domestic F product with unlimited upgrades. Space at airports is truly at a premium. I don't see UA spending $Millions to increase the size of PL's in order to accommodate more passengers unless the market shifts radically to increased demand for full-fare Polaris, in which case, taking care of those people becomes a smart move.

There is a name for Premium Economy which includes access to a premium lounge, a lie flat seat, and high-quality meals and wines. It is called Business Class.
Yep. It's important to remember that United wants its elites to buy Polaris tickets. The super-nice lounge only works as an incentive if access is restricted.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by united 1k flyer
This is completely false. Look at all the Oneworld emerald lounges they are worlds nicer than the Polaris lounges and they manage w/ overcrowding and they let in elites.
Star Alliance has these too. They are a separate product from PL's.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 10:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dilanesp
Yep. It's important to remember that United wants its elites to buy Polaris tickets. The super-nice lounge only works as an incentive if access is restricted.
I think of the Polaris lounge as plus to a lie flat bed. If 1ks got Polaris lounge access internationally in Y it would still incentivize them to buy Polaris. It would just be a Small recognition for their loyalty and to make up for all the pain of Y.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 11:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
These arguments on FT about which carrier is better because it serves a larger piece of cubed cheese are a bit silly.

Passengers have choices. If you think that you are better off on DL than UA, take DL. But, bear in mind that while AA and UA both have a premium lounge product, e.g. Flagship and Polaris, DL does not.

As with all travel choices, look at the things that are important to you and book accordingly. WBCCBD (Want Big Cheese Cube, Book Delta).
Old Dec 27, 2019, 11:05 am

I think of the Polaris lounge as plus to a lie flat bed. If 1ks got Polaris lounge access internationally in Y it would still incentivize them to buy Polaris. It would just be a Small recognition for their loyalty and to make up for all the pain of Y.
I suspect, actually, that UA has actual numbers on this and some elites might stop paying for Polaris if they got the lounge on a Y or PP ticket.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 11:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dilanesp
I suspect, actually, that UA has actual numbers on this and some elites might stop paying for Polaris if they got the lounge on a Y or PP ticket.
I think a lot of FT love the Polaris lounge there’s no doubt about that. However whenever I was talking to an old buddy and when I asked him about the PL lounge he wasn't that impressed.He even said the only reason he likes Polaris is the flat bed. He even said that they that could take away everything else and he wouldn’t mind. Whether he is abnormal, we don’t know. All I know is that I don’t want Kirby to here him speak.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 11:12 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
I dunno, but do AA EXP or BA Gold flying Y get incentivized to buy business class because they have access to AA Flagship or BA F lounges?

Elites already get recognition for flying Y, they get to select E+ seats, and 1K also get recognized by being able to spend PlusPoints on PP or Polaris seats.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 11:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by hirohito888
I dunno, but do AA EXP or BA Gold flying Y get incentivized to buy business class because they have access to AA Flagship or BA F lounges?

Elites already get recognition for flying Y, they get to select E+ seats, and 1K also get recognized by being able to spend PlusPoints on PP or Polaris seats.
I guess the question of the day is would you give up 320 PP for unlimited access to the Polaris lounge. No matter what route or class you are flying you can access the Polaris lounge. I think doing something like trading 160 PP for a UC membership or 320 PP for a Polaris lounge membership could be in both our interest and United’s interest. Win Win?
Old Dec 27, 2019, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
I have flown Polaris over a partner or competitor's product because it provides access to the polaris lounge on arrival in the US.

Was a little stunned recently when my partner flew LH F through Houston and would not have had any lounge access on arrival if she hadn't been *G. I lucked out, she would have been quite annoyed if she didn't have an available lounge for her connection.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM); AA LT Gold (1.9 MM); SQ; WN; DL; "Bonvoy Ambassador""
Originally Posted by oopsz
Was a little stunned recently when my partner flew LH F through Houston and would not have had any lounge access on arrival if she hadn't been *G. I lucked out, she would have been quite annoyed if she didn't have an available lounge for her connection.
Wouldn't she have had access to Polaris lounge without *G by virtue of LH F?
Old Dec 27, 2019, 2:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BeanTownBoy
Wouldn't she have had access to Polaris lounge without *G by virtue of LH F?
Not on arrival.

But if you're connecting (which you'd need to be in order to get airside again), wouldn't you have UC access? Or was the connection in Y?
Old Dec 27, 2019, 2:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mr8
...And I don't think PP pax get access to the regular Clubs either! ....
Per UA, PP gets
Discounted United Club access for a better travel experience (when traveling on select long-haul international routes)
but have not seen what the discount is
Old Dec 27, 2019, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Not on arrival.

But if you're connecting (which you'd need to be in order to get airside again), wouldn't you have UC access? Or was the connection in Y?
Star alliance only grants lounge access at that airport based on your departure boarding pass at that corresponding airport

You only get a location waiver for UA lounges when holding a same day UA J ticket.
(Location waiver meaning whatever access your UA J ticket gets - UC or Polaris, is granted for your sameday departure/connecting/arrival airports)

If OP was holding a domestic Y/J ticket (excluding PS service), no lounge access with that

If OP flew United Polaris intl and connected to a Y ticket, the location waiver on the United Polaris intl ticket gets him access to UC/Polaris lounge at his domestic connection

If OP flew United Business from canada-EWR-XYZ, he only gets UC access at EWR due to location waiver on the United Business ticket
canadiancow likes this.

Last edited by paperwastage; Dec 27, 2019 at 2:33 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.