Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

I'm the guy United hates. :) (High PQMs, low PQDs - with waiver)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2019, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

JUST squeaked in over the top for 1k this year. Went to check my account, and laughed when I saw my PQD spend. I'm in Canada, so PQD's are irrelevant for me.

Now, I did do some background numbers, and I would have cracked over 20,000 points under the new system, so I'm not that far off. Still thought it was funny.

My total airline spend was still only about $7k for 2019. Just under 7cpm...

I'm the guy United is actively trying to weed out.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by Boogie711
JUST squeaked in over the top for 1k this year. Went to check my account, and laughed when I saw my PQD spend. I'm in Canada, so PQD's are irrelevant for me.

Now, I did do some background numbers, and I would have cracked over 20,000 points under the new system, so I'm not that far off. Still thought it was funny.

Yeah, if you could just make your way back to peasant class that’d be great.

This is an achievement to be proud of!
Kannai likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If most of that $7K is on partners which revenue share with UA, I'm sure they don't hate you too much. I made DM on DL last year with less total spend than that and without an MQD Waiver. Most of my MQM/MQD were earned on cheap VS Economy Delight fares.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Guess I'll share mine as well...with 194,032 BIS miles on UA

kilo, der_saeufer, am1108 and 9 others like this.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...I'm the guy United is actively trying to weed out.
Have you figured out what your anticipated flying next year will get you in 2021? 20k PQPs would ean you need 54 segments. Looks like you’d have to stretch one way or another...

Question posed from an Air New Zealand flight from AKL to SYD using free wi-fi after a Premium Economy meal better and more filling than a UA First meal. I think I’ll order a Champagne from the on-screen ordering menu now...

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Dec 21, 2019 at 3:34 pm
Old Dec 21, 2019, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Maybe... maybe not.

United got paid for every one of those miles you flew - without actually having the cost of flying you.

Now the amount they got paid was likely minuscule, and they did have some costs for you (eg, paying for lounge access when you were flying in economy, plus the cost of you redeeming the miles you earnt), but I wouldn't at all be surprised if they came out net in-front from your travel on other airlines.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
I m at about 122k with ~$1300 PQD. So is my wife (but with 101k).

Are we the couple United hates?

The only reason our PQD is this high is because on our last vacation to Hawaii, we had vouchers to use up, and had to buy on united.com
Old Dec 21, 2019, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think the 'United hates' part of the title is misleading.

If this year's flying pattern would get you to 20k PQP with the new rules, you'll wind up in the upper levels of the qualifying tiers, which doesn't square with 'United hates' in my view.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by gokeeper
Guess I'll share mine as well...with 194,032 BIS miles on UA

For those of us either in awe or confusion, or both, how does one even do 194K BIS with just 1207 PQD?
Old Dec 21, 2019, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by shdflyer
For those of us either in awe or confusion, or both, how does one even do 194K BIS with just 1207 PQD?
Partners/bulk/international waiver
Old Dec 21, 2019, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are you sure? At 7 cpm, there aren’t a lot of fare classes where that would be the case. Unless you got some great deals on long-haul PE, I’m not sure how the math works out.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Cmhua777

Originally Posted by shdflyer
That’s amazing. I, too, am curious how you pulled that off. I flew about the same miles BIS miles with UA but spent 50x what you did.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 10:40 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by cmhua777
That’s amazing. I, too, am curious how you pulled that off. I flew about the same miles BIS miles with UA but spent 50x what you did.
They've got the foreign waiver, so are probably based overseas and have to fly lots of partner/codeshares before they can connect to a UA flight within the US.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 11:18 pm
formerly sahiljain22

Programs: Amex Plat; HH Diamond; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; United 1K; National EE; HSBC Premier

I am actually worse than you. Four AC paid business and a four segment $200 flight requalified me in 2018-19. This year same except 0 UA segments so effectively out.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Partners/bulk/international waiver
fa la la la la ... la la la la

That’s the spirit!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.