Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Does anyone else find themselves RESENTING UA and how does it affect your actions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does anyone else find themselves RESENTING UA and how does it affect your actions?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2019, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I don't resent businesses.

When a business makes a business decision I do not agree with (or creates barriers that aren't worth it to me) - I simply move on and don't dwell on it.
Originally Posted by SteveHK
Things change. Don't get so personally hurt by a corporate rewards program!
These posts sum it up.

I pick the carrier that best suits my travel needs for a given trip. If I happen to earn enough points / miles / whatever to get some extras along the way, great.
SteveHK, Repooc17 and TXJeepGuy like this.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gmt4
What troubles me is the arrogance (for lack of a better word) from UA. Don't carry on like you have a superior product and service that commands a greater price point and greater degree of $$ loyalty from your frequent fliers when you clearly don't. The inflated self opinion management has of their company stands in stark contrast to reality us travelers see.
How does UA "carry on" like this, any more than any other company (airline or otherwise) does through its routine marketing efforts?
Old Dec 13, 2019, 1:04 pm
st3

Programs: United MP
If you dig through the over 2700 replies in this thread: New Premier Qualification Requirements for 2020: Only Spend or Spend + Flight Sectors You will see that there are other people that resent United based on the changes to Mileage Plus. You will also find travelers like myself who benefit even with the spending increase.

Many people say it is about spend and not loyalty but aside from the MM program you have to requalify for status every year anyway. Doesn't that poke some holes in the whole "loyalty" idea?
Old Dec 13, 2019, 1:08 pm

No bad resentments. I’d probably play the game differently instead.....

pay the lowest price (unless I want those extras like extra legroom, check in luggage), rely on Priority Pass or Amex Centurion for lounge access and improve on knowledge/communication skills to work w airport/inflight staff when things go wrong.

as for upgrades and such, just manage my expectations
747FC likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 1:10 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
I'm sure we're all a little resentful now that they want us to pay more for less (who wouldn't be), but they're just moneyballing the airline industry.

As an MM, I'd assume you'd be one of the few on the flip side since you don't have to chase the ever increasing requirements, and, most importantly, that UA is still around.
With all recent airline bankruptcies, at least the airline you have lifetime status on is still going strong even if you are getting fewer benefits.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Bear96
How does UA "carry on" like this, any more than any other company (airline or otherwise) does through its routine marketing efforts?
Marketing efforts and outright untruths are horses of a different color.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 1:29 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I guess what is the seed of the resentment is that UA in the past emphasized loyalty to get repeat business.

My company would routlinely get pitches from UA, AA DL etc why to fly their carrier and central to the pitch is that we reward *long* term customer loyalty. In fact that was the whole crux of the MM program. I recall one UA rep even likening the UA - customer relationship to a marriage relationship. Admitedly it got some laughs but he was serious about that analogy.

To use this UA rep's words against him, the "marriage" was a bit of a sham and the airline I "married" was a bit of a gold-digger!
Kacee likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 1:40 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
While the thread title and even the OP's username can get members' attention, going forward, we still need to discuss the topic constructively within FlyerTalk Rule 12, without snark or undue personalization. Some posts in the thread have been edited in that regard, Thanks, Ocn Vw 1K, co-Moderator.
You guys making fun of my member name? That hurts but the username is correct :-)

Last edited by usedtobeimportant; Dec 13, 2019 at 2:06 pm
Old Dec 13, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
I gave up having any feeling toward UNITED. They are not worth my energy. I was a 16 year 1K, 2.5MM, flew them for 30+ years, and have not flown them in years. It is freeing not to be tied to them for status, etc.. They gave up on me in the days of Smisek, I gave up on them forever.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 3:05 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Not resentful, just disappointed that a whole group of their "best" flyers has now been alienated.

The new policy seems designed to encourage people to fly shorter legs instead of longer ones, in order to accumulate PQF, as well as spending much, much more than was ever necessary before. That doesn't sit well with me at all. In past years, I could make 1K by flying just 6 LAX-LHR non-stop roundtrips a year on P and A fares, plus a few domestic legs. That sort of flying wouldn't even get me to Gold going forward, if i didn't already have lifetime Gold by being a million miler.

No need repeat the downturn we have all seen in the ability to use upgrade instruments, or even miles. The lottery is no longer worth it without status to help.

The goalposts have moved, perhaps irrevocably. I will abandon the GPUs I cannot use, abandon my almost 1.9m lifetime miles, burn the RDM I have earned, and henceforward only fly United if their biz fares are the same or cheaper than others. For the future flights I have booked in 2020, United's discounted biz fares are running at about double what I can find for similar tickets elsewhere (e.g. DL), so have they lost my custom until that changes. I'm sure there are many of us who are in the same position and are now flying based on price and not loyalty. United doesn't care. If there's any form of resentment, it's that I have to spend more time shopping around for good deals, since there is no point in loyalty now that my previous status is unattainable.
Miggles and kb1992 like this.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by 1P
In past years, I could make 1K by flying just 6 LAX-LHR non-stop roundtrips a year on P and A fares, plus a few domestic legs. That sort of flying wouldn't even get me to Gold going forward
Can you hook me up with your sub-$1,700 LAX-LHR P fares?

No argument on the broader point, but I think that's a bit of hyperbole.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 3:20 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
An employee of mine who did this wouldn't be an employee of mine if I discovered this blatant disregard for expenses..
But hang on, wasn't the whole loyalty business based on the flip situation: Choose UA even if it cost more because of long term loyalty benefits?

Let he cast the first stone who has not: i) Booked a longer more expensive route to make 1K, ii) Booked a higher fare class to make a CPU iii) Hell lots of other tricks that was a "disregard for expenses".
Old Dec 13, 2019, 3:29 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Life is far too short and there are far better things on which to spend my emotional energy.

I too am one of the long term 1K customers and 1MM who will not qualify for 1K in 2021. That is okay. United has changed the rules for status so I modify my behavior to reflect that change.

I do agree with the post #25 that says I am not enjoying the pain of having to search far more airlines. However, google flights and FT Premium Deals has become my new friend and I was already doing that for destinations where United and *A did not fly.

Resentment is a very wasted emotion. United does not care whether you resent them or not so the only person hurt by resentment is you.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 3:30 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, UA Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
I resent but being IAH, kinda stuck on some routes. Don't really want to take swa, spirit, or frontier to vegas :P.

Will be dropping UA on more competitive routes next year (LAX/ONT, NY, ORD) for the best product/price. I have more faith with money in my pocket than UA's pocket.

Flew AA in first once for the price of UA in economy last year. Brand new plane with in-seat 12" screens and great IFE. Can't support a company that shows me nothing but how fast they can take my money
Old Dec 13, 2019, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by usedtobeimportant
...Let he cast the first stone who has not: i) Booked a longer more expensive route to make 1K, ii) Booked a higher fare class to make a CPU iii) Hell lots of other tricks that was a "disregard for expenses".
I have done neither - ever.

Stone. Cast.

Just saying it's OK because other people do it isn't an ethical argument in this case. One can do it if they have no ethical qualms about it, but that hardly makes it right, nor is there a legitimate argument to that effect.

But hey, booking more expensive fares etc with other people's money seems do work for some people...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.