Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrade waitlist / display / clearing issues since PlusPoints changeover

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 14, 2019, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Upgrade waitlist / display / clearing issues since PlusPoints changeover

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2020, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
cfischer was being completely sarcastic. Absolutely nothing can be trusted with upgrade lists at the moment - on the website, on the app, way in advance, or day of departure. It's not to be trusted right now. And the call center agents are just as clueless (because they're giving you info they see in a computer or they just make it up on the fly).

-RM
Haha ... that gives me hope as I'm not #1 on the list (yet)

So how do we find out where we are on the list?

(Not that anybody would do such a thing) But isn't this a perfect setup for upgrade shenanigans to happen?
Old Jan 18, 2020, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by malgudi
So how do we find out where we are on the list?
We guess.

Originally Posted by malgudi
(Not that anybody would do such a thing) But isn't this a perfect setup for upgrade shenanigans to happen?
Absolutely, which is why I hope that if #1 on the list gets skipped, they’ll write to UA. Eventually they either need to fix the list or they need to hide it. Hiding it obviously doesn’t solve the problem, but bad information is worse than none at all, IMO.

That said, the lists are demonstrably worse for flights with a PP cabin. My guess is that they are pulling the upgrades in the published order — meaning paid PE has an advantage over paid Y — but not listing them in that order. But, it’s hard to be 100% sure.
malgudi, Halo117 and chavala like this.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 10:33 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
What UA is trying to do with PlusPoints is extremely complex. I don't know of any other airline that attempts anything close to this with its customer facing IT. No wonder they broke the whole system trying to implement it. As jsloan noted in another thread, it feels like something for which there is no easy fix.
Anything can be fixed if you throw enough money at it. And therein lies the problem.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 10:42 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Data Point

I purchased a ticket for my son to go back to Boston after his winter break. He’s traveling this evening.

I applied 20+ points that were expiring at the end of the month. I applied them about a week and a half ago. He was number three on the list. The list has been flawless on this reservation. He stayed number three all along, last night after checking in number one and two cleared, he then became number one, around four in the morning he cleared as well. Received notification and he was assigned a good seat as well. I didn’t see any issues at all
jsloan likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SS255
Anything can be fixed if you throw enough money at it.
No, that really isn’t true. There’s a saying in the software world — adding more people to a late project makes it later. It’s not foolproof, but I’ve seen it happen time and time again. The new people on the team aren’t familiar with the work that’s already been done, so they end up interrupting the experienced people to ask them questions, slowing the whole thing down. Plus, with a larger team, there’s more overhead (meetings, time spent project planning, reports, etc.).

If I had to guess, I’d say that management never asked the engineers whether or not the project timelines were reasonable; or, if they did, either (a) there’s a culture of never saying ‘no’ to management; (b) they kept asking until they found someone who would agree; or, (c) they asked somebody without any experience (“Hey, congratulations, you’re the development lead for MileagePlus. December 4 sound OK?”).
Old Jan 19, 2020, 1:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
No, that really isn’t true. There’s a saying in the software world — adding more people to a late project makes it later. It’s not foolproof, but I’ve seen it happen time and time again. The new people on the team aren’t familiar with the work that’s already been done, so they end up interrupting the experienced people to ask them questions, slowing the whole thing down. Plus, with a larger team, there’s more overhead (meetings, time spent project planning, reports, etc.).. .
The Brooks' classic, The Mythical Man-Month.
A short but excellent read. Still have my 40+ year old copy. And does not just apply to software development.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 2:24 pm

Programs: United MM, Premier Platinum, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
So I have spent all morning on the phone with United regarding a Plus Points upgrade waitlist for an upcoming flight from Frankfurt to SFO in about ten days. I am not sure if this is about Plus Points and the wait list, that is part of it.

But I think it's more about the United 1K customer support for this crazy mess. I spoke to an agent when I booked the ticket, right away to make sure I had the correct fare to get an upgrade and that it was looking O.K., that I had a chance. I know, no guarantee. But I have had a lot of success with this approach in the past. I would have paid more to get a better chance, but they said, you are good there's lots of room, you have a good chance. This morning I have spoken to 4 different agents and they all tell me something different. One told me I have no chance,even though there are seats available, not a lot but some. Another told me there is no way to tell until 24 hours prior to the flight, there is no way for United to tell. I also was looking at options for changing the flight and if I could do it 24 hours prior to avoid the change fee. Again conflicting information from each agent I spoke to. The last one was very nice, but basically there are no realistic options for me at this stage. I will have to wait until check in time and then hope that I can speak to an agent who actually has the correct information. Ha! I will of course try again prior to the actual flight and we'll see. Oh and the last leg of this reservation, a short flight from SFO to LAX did get upgraded and they took the 40 PlusPoints. I didn't want that and they told me it doesn't matter to my other chance of getting upgraded. But if my experience from this morning continues then that may be incorrect information also.

If anyone has any thoughts, tips, they would be very welcome. I think I really want to make the point that nobody at United really knows how this "new" system works and it is a total mishigas. You cannot rely on United to assist or advice you because they don't seem to understand it anymore than anyone else.

Just spoke to another agent and was told that this is something new, she just found out about 2 days ago. Which is they can see where you are on the list this 11 days out (not sure the exact time frame). So I have zero chance of getting upgraded, I am now being told. I regret booking that long leg on this trip, but I was given confidence by the agent I spoke to at the time that it all looks good. I will try to change within the 24 hour time frame, but poor chance of being able to and not incurring significant costs. I will be traveling less this coming year and maybe that's a good thing. This is neither fun nor funny.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 19, 2020 at 3:34 pm Reason: merged update / consecutive posts by same member
Old Jan 19, 2020, 4:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
If I had to guess, I’d say that management never asked the engineers whether or not the project timelines were reasonable.
I have my doubts they asked someone competent whether the goals themselves were reasonable, independent of timeline, keeping in mind what they are layering on top of.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by jane456
So I have spent all morning on the phone with United regarding a Plus Points upgrade waitlist for an upcoming flight from Frankfurt to SFO in about ten days. I am not sure if this is about Plus Points and the wait list, that is part of it.

But I think it's more about the United 1K customer support for this crazy mess. I spoke to an agent when I booked the ticket, right away to make sure I had the correct fare to get an upgrade and that it was looking O.K., that I had a chance. I know, no guarantee. But I have had a lot of success with this approach in the past. I would have paid more to get a better chance, but they said, you are good there's lots of room, you have a good chance. This morning I have spoken to 4 different agents and they all tell me something different. One told me I have no chance,even though there are seats available, not a lot but some. Another told me there is no way to tell until 24 hours prior to the flight, there is no way for United to tell. I also was looking at options for changing the flight and if I could do it 24 hours prior to avoid the change fee. Again conflicting information from each agent I spoke to. The last one was very nice, but basically there are no realistic options for me at this stage. I will have to wait until check in time and then hope that I can speak to an agent who actually has the correct information. Ha! I will of course try again prior to the actual flight and we'll see. Oh and the last leg of this reservation, a short flight from SFO to LAX did get upgraded and they took the 40 PlusPoints. I didn't want that and they told me it doesn't matter to my other chance of getting upgraded. But if my experience from this morning continues then that may be incorrect information also.

If anyone has any thoughts, tips, they would be very welcome. I think I really want to make the point that nobody at United really knows how this "new" system works and it is a total mishigas. You cannot rely on United to assist or advice you because they don't seem to understand it anymore than anyone else.

Just spoke to another agent and was told that this is something new, she just found out about 2 days ago. Which is they can see where you are on the list this 11 days out (not sure the exact time frame). So I have zero chance of getting upgraded, I am now being told. I regret booking that long leg on this trip, but I was given confidence by the agent I spoke to at the time that it all looks good. I will try to change within the 24 hour time frame, but poor chance of being able to and not incurring significant costs. I will be traveling less this coming year and maybe that's a good thing. This is neither fun nor funny.
If you have an iPhone just change the date ahead and look at the flight list via flight status then upgrades.. you’ll see where you are. That’ll give you a little bit more color
Old Jan 19, 2020, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT

As the poster above me already said, change the date on your phone and load the United app to get current flight status. When United rolled out PlusPoints on Dec 4, 2019 they also enabled the entire upgrade list to be visible. So now you can see where you are in the upgrade queue whether you're checked in or not. This is invaluable data for deciding which flights to take in the future.

As to your question about PlusPoints. The new system has been discussed at length in so many threads on FT and is explained clearly on United.com. Basically, you booked FRA-SFO-LAX and waitlisted with PlusPoints. This upgrade costs 40 PlusPoints (W or higher coach fare) or 80 PlusPoints (if S or lower coach fare). Once any segment clears you are charged the full upgrade cost. If only SFO-LAX clears then you will get PlusPoints back because it's only 20 points for domestic upgrades. But the 20 points that are locked up waiting for the Polaris upgrade can't be used on any other reservation until they are released (assuming you don't get the FRA-SFO upgrade). This is why most won't select the domestic segment for an upgrade because 20 PlusPoints is a waste for a flight like SFO-LAX. And the new system does not allow you to cancel a successful PlusPoints upgrade.

-RM
jsloan and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K | Marriott LT Platinum

In general, the only way to guarantee an upgrade is if you see PN (for Global Services) or PZ space (for 1K's) at time of booking. You can see this on United's website when searching flights if you have expert mode (or whatever it may now be called) turned on in your profile. Obviously if there are a lot of seats in Polaris and you're a few days out, chances are good. If you're booking farther out there's really no guaranteed way to tell you your likelihood even if they know trends on the specific route (which a phone agent will not know). The FAQ on United's site lists the discount fare codes that require more PlusPoints (https://mileageplusupdates.com/milea...lish/upgrades/ - it's fare classes S, T, L, K, and G - basic economy is not eligible) - I always find it better to just know the rules and book when I find PN space rather than rely on information from agents. They can either give you misinformation to appease you (in saying an upgrade is likely) or tell you they don't know (unsatisfying) when asking about upgrade likelihood months out.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
If you have an iPhone just change the date ahead and look at the flight list via flight status then upgrades.. you’ll see where you are. That’ll give you a little bit more color
I don't have an I phone. So I guess this would not have helped me and was it available when I originally booked?
Old Jan 19, 2020, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't have an I phone. So I guess this would not have helped me and was it available when I originally booked?
I think 'iPhone' was used generically there, a la 'Kleenex'. You can do that with any phone that runs the United app. The last time I tried, it also worked to change your computer date and use the website.
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by n8-the-gr8
In general, the only way to guarantee an upgrade is if you see PN (for Global Services) or PZ space (for 1K's) at time of booking. You can see this on United's website when searching flights if you have expert mode (or whatever it may now be called) turned on in your profile. Obviously if there are a lot of seats in Polaris and you're a few days out, chances are good. If you're booking farther out there's really no guaranteed way to tell you your likelihood even if they know trends on the specific route (which a phone agent will not know). The FAQ on United's site lists the discount fare codes that require more PlusPoints (https://mileageplusupdates.com/milea...lish/upgrades/ - it's fare classes S, T, L, K, and G - basic economy is not eligible) - I always find it better to just know the rules and book when I find PN space rather than rely on information from agents. They can either give you misinformation to appease you (in saying an upgrade is likely) or tell you they don't know (unsatisfying) when asking about upgrade likelihood months out.
This approach has been pretty successful for me in the past (maybe 80% of the time), finding a fare and route that has a good amount of open seats and then speaking with an agent to make sure it had a reasonable chance of upgrade.. I did not book the fare classes you mention, I booked in a class that upgraded me for my outbound international flight. I would have payed more and got a fare with a better chance, if I thought I needed to do that. My gut told me that booking a longer flight was a higher risk, but the reassurance of the agent lulled me into a false sense of security. Also, I did not have the option of selecting only the international leg for upgrade, as a previous poster suggested.

There's still a couple of things I can try. I will figure something out, but now I think, is it worth all the time I have spent.

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
As the poster above me already said, change the date on your phone and load the United app to get current flight status. When United rolled out PlusPoints on Dec 4, 2019 they also enabled the entire upgrade list to be visible. So now you can see where you are in the upgrade queue whether you're checked in or not. This is invaluable data for deciding which flights to take in the future.

As to your question about PlusPoints. The new system has been discussed at length in so many threads on FT and is explained clearly on United.com. Basically, you booked FRA-SFO-LAX and waitlisted with PlusPoints. This upgrade costs 40 PlusPoints (W or higher coach fare) or 80 PlusPoints (if S or lower coach fare). Once any segment clears you are charged the full upgrade cost. If only SFO-LAX clears then you will get PlusPoints back because it's only 20 points for domestic upgrades. But the 20 points that are locked up waiting for the Polaris upgrade can't be used on any other reservation until they are released (assuming you don't get the FRA-SFO upgrade). This is why most won't select the domestic segment for an upgrade because 20 PlusPoints is a waste for a flight like SFO-LAX. And the new system does not allow you to cancel a successful PlusPoints upgrade.
-RM
I was not given the option of selecting only the international leg for an upgrade. I would have done that if I was able, because I agree domestic is not worth it.. These plus points don't matter much because they are going to expire.I just didn't want this SFO part to affect my chances with the international segment. They told me it doesn't matter, how reliable that is I don't know.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 19, 2020 at 10:02 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member; repaired post, response was in quote
Old Jan 20, 2020, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This approach has been pretty successful for me in the past (maybe 80% of the time), finding a fare and route that has a good amount of open seats and then speaking with an agent to make sure it had a reasonable chance of upgrade..
FYI: It’s against UA policy for them to give you that information. Some will do it anyway. Others make something up. The problem is that the list is ordered by status and fare, so it’s always possible to be hopped.

I did not book the fare classes you mention, I booked in a class that upgraded me for my outbound international flight.
All UA fare classes can be upgraded except for a Basic Economy ticket. You must have booked one of them.

I would have payed more and got a fare with a better chance, if I thought I needed to do that.
I rarely, if ever, recommend this. Spending more to waitlist a flight is often just a way to pay money to move higher up the list of people who don’t clear the waitlist.

My gut told me that booking a longer flight was a higher risk, but the reassurance of the agent lulled me into a false sense of security. Also, I did not have the option of selecting only the international leg for upgrade, as a previous poster suggested.
Did you book this flight, and apply the upgrade, prior to December 4?

I just didn't want this SFO part to affect my chances with the international segment. They told me it doesn't matter, how reliable that is I don't know.
It doesn’t.

Basically, the reservation agents you spoke with aren’t experts on MileagePlus or upgrades. Many of them have never used an instrument in their life. Most of their training involves ticket purchases and changes, as that’s a much larger part of their job than anything in the MileagePlus world. The collective wisdom of this forum is, in aggregate, likely more accurate — many of us use (or try to use) our upgrade points frequently, and we’ve had to learn the system as a result.
Flying Machine likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.