Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

KC Chiefs' equipment container not unload properly from UA flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

KC Chiefs' equipment container not unload properly from UA flight

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2019, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by clubord
I fly a lot of the Chiefs NFL charters on the 764. It’s not United that offloads their equipment but rather their own staff.

I know it’s fun to pile on United here for anything remotely odd or funny but this one isn’t on the airline.
United is responsible for making sure the aircraft is correctly loaded and has a correct weight and balance. They flew a revenue flight with incorrect weights. That certainly will attract the FAA’s attention. They are required to verify where and what every luggage can weighs. Clearly that was not done.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Jeff767
United is responsible for making sure the aircraft is correctly loaded and has a correct weight and balance. They flew a revenue flight with incorrect weights. That certainly will attract the FAA’s attention. They are required to verify where and what every luggage can weighs. Clearly that was not done.
Cannot disagree that someone made a error.

The flight that had the stowaway bags was a ferry flight not revenue, an empty PVD/EWR with only 2 pilots on board.

I can imagine there may be some procedural changes internally but I’d be hard pressed to think the FAA is going to even blink and eye at this.

A Part 91, 35 minute ferry flight with 2 souls on board on an aircraft hundreds of thousands of pounds below max landing weight. Right now FAA has bigger fish to fry...
Old Dec 9, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
Originally Posted by clubord
Now we are getting into ridiculous minutia.

You must be new here to FT. Welcome!!
Old Dec 9, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by ekozie
I wonder why the charter even ferried to EWR unless catering simply wasn't available at PVD, which would surprise me.
United more often than not doesn't leave NFL/College Football charters on the ground for the duration of the charter. Often they'll rotate back into the regular system. In this instance, 24 hours on the ground in EWR may have allowed for minor maintenance/ spare plane to cover for mechanical issues. You also save on ramp overnight fees, potentially crew hotels, etc. Regardless of the reason, United more than likely factored the positioning ferry legs into their bid to the Chiefs.
Originally Posted by Jeff767
They flew a revenue flight with incorrect weights.
How did you reach that conclusion? A minimal amount of cargo wasn't offloaded from a charter flight and subsequently flew on an empty non-revenue ferry flight back to EWR. The only people on that plane would've been the pilots and potentially flight attendants. W&B for some football pads and helments on an empty 764 for a 200 mile flight is essentially negligible.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA *G. DL ̶G̶O̶L̶D̶ Member, Hilton/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
doubtful a pilot on a empty leg 764 with only one container of pads and uniforms in the hold would have any idea there was an ext few hundred pounds. As Clubord stated it's so massively light that it wouldn't have affected the flight characteristics any more than an extra loaded service cart would.

Are the crew on these flights UA or does UA only provide the plane and contract out the pilots and cabin attendants to a 3rd party?
Old Dec 9, 2019, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by AceReport
Are the crew on these flights UA or does UA only provide the plane and contract out the pilots and cabin attendants to a 3rd party?
they’re UA crews. the unions would never, ever, ever allow a third party to fly mainline birds.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.