Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Linking UA and Cape Air Flights

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2019, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
Linking UA and Cape Air Flights

I'm flying from Boston to St. Croix tomorrow, the BOS to STT legs are on United but the leg from STT to STX is on Cape Air. I booked the ticket from BOS to STT (with miles) on one booking record and booked the flight on Cape Air ($) on a second booking record. My question is can I link the two booking at the Airport (BOS) or on-line? My goal is to check my bags through to STX as I don't want to claim my bags and recheck them in STT if I can avoid it. Thanks in advance for your input/advice.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by John Aldeborgh
My question is can I link the two booking at the Airport (BOS) or on-line?
You can't link bookings, no.
My goal is to check my bags through to STX as I don't want to claim my bags and recheck them in STT if I can avoid it. Thanks in advance for your input/advice.
On the other hand, this may be possible, especially for a GS. Bring a copy of your STT-STX reservation and tell the agent what you're trying to do. (The policy is that they will only check luggage through on separate reservations for *A airlines, but I've seen several reports of an undocumented exception for 1Ks and GSes, allowing bags to be checked to any airline where UA has an interline baggage agreement).
Old Dec 3, 2019, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Not to mention that Cape Air is a MileagePlus partner and the OP can earn miles for the paid flight between STT-STX. This should make it "easier" to through check bags since Cape Air is a partner as opposed to "just another interline agreement".

-RM
Old Dec 3, 2019, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
They can do it and the GS counter in Boston (if staffed) is pretty good w/ 'exceptions'. Clearly not within the rules, but commonly accommodated.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
Thanks for the advice. The BOS GS team was not able to help. I will need to collect my bags in STT and recheck at the Cape Air counter. My bad for not putting everything on one record.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 10:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
To be clear, they are able as UA and 9K have an interline agreement. But, it violates UA policy for them to do it across tickets unless both tickets are booked into the same PNR.

For the benefit of others, there are occasions when one must book separate tickets. But, it is more often than not possible to book both tickets into the same PNR and that is an exception both for *A as well as OW carriers which do not generally check across tickets. The hassle is finding an agent trained to do it.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Thanks for the advice. The BOS GS team was not able to help. I will need to collect my bags in STT and recheck at the Cape Air counter. My bad for not putting everything on one record.
Wow, that's poor for GS, especially for interlining to a UA partner airline. If it was to a OW/ST airline I would understand.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Made the trip, I was able to collect my bags and transfer them to Cape Air, the biggest issue was I had to pay $100 in baggage fees that wouldn't have been needed if I could have check the bags through the STX rather than STT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.