Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another article trashing UA

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2019, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA
I've spent enough time flying due to my career to not take it personally when flights are massively delayed or cancelled due to ...... weather. However, your average entitled "journalist" doesn't really understand how major airlines bank flights to their hubs or how bad weather causes ripple effects that result in cancellations and delays. Airlines are better than ever at getting passenger load factors to max capacity on every flight, which translates into lower prices for everyone, but less planes and redundancy overall. If anything, he should be critical of how much regulatory capture exists between airlines and the American transportation system so that for many of us there are no meaningful choices outside of flying.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 1, 2019 at 3:26 pm Reason: OMNI comment deleted
Old Dec 1, 2019, 4:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
In fairness, the airlines can also do better. It doesn’t have to be a binary choice between hours ling CS lines and death.
He did not have to stand in a CS line for 12 hours. That was 100% self-inflicted. Told he would not receive a hotel voucher and then, based on a third-hand rumor to the contrary, chose to wait in line for 12 hours, only to find out that what UA told him was true.

That said, while UA's phones do get backed up in IRROPS, it doesn't take 12 hours to get through.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 4:59 pm

Programs: AC 25K
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
In fairness, the airlines can also do better. It doesn’t have to be a binary choice between hours long CS lines and death.
Do the airlines make choices about when they can and cannot take off? I thought that was purely up to ATC and airport operations.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 6:07 pm

The line thing is just painful. This is also when carrying a higher-end CC with trip cancellation/interruption really pays off ... in situations like this, I just book the nearest hotel with a full restaurant/bar, and deal with Chase for reimbursement when things have calmed down. So much easier than the long CS waits and third-rate hotels you MAY be offered in the rare case that IRROPS aren't weather/mx/ATC-related.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 6:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by zoned_post_meridiem
The line thing is just painful. This is also when carrying a higher-end CC with trip cancellation/interruption really pays off ... in situations like this, I just book the nearest hotel with a full restaurant/bar, and deal with Chase for reimbursement when things have calmed down. So much easier than the long CS waits and third-rate hotels you MAY be offered in the rare case that IRROPS aren't weather/mx/ATC-related.
Don't pay a CC fee or a higher interest rate just to get included trip insurance. It can be purchased very cheaply on an annual or per trip basis, all depending on your circumstances.

If you do rely on anything through a CC, read the policy carefully.

Many higher end policies provide a set amount of cash per day and that is generally more than sufficient to cover a nice hotel and passable food. Even nicer than allowing you to pick your location, no wait in line. Go to your hotel, order a meal, call the carrier, put it on mute/speaker and do something productive if there is a long call wait.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by bart889
Do the airlines make choices about when they can and cannot take off? I thought that was purely up to ATC and airport operations.
Yes! Thankfully, the airlines, and pilots, can make this call at their discretion as well.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 7:13 pm

I also dont get waiting in line when you can call, use the app, the website, or one of the touch kiosks.
When my flight got canceled 2 months ago, I was immediately able to use the kiosk to choose any alternative flight the next day. It is first come first served, so if I waiting in line instead of using the kiosk 30 ft away, I may not have gotten on the next days flight.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 8:06 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Of course air travel is terrible when stuff goes sideways. If the system were overbuilt to ensure that even when stuff goes sideways, no one gets inconvenienced, we'd be paying much higher fares all the time. Suffering inconvenience in unusual circumstances is baked in.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 8:10 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by COMMONC3NTS
I also dont get waiting in line when you can call, use the app, the website, or one of the touch kiosks.
If I read the article correctly, he did call. He didn't like the answer he got on the phone so he waited in line for 12 hours but still got the same answer.

You're right, we've come a long way in the availability of 'self-help' through the app and kiosks. Works great for the frequent flyers who know the system. Many of the infrequent flyers are still lost, though. They line up and wait.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by porciuscato
He chooses to travel on the busiest travel day of the year, when bad weather has been predicted across the country, yet expects everything to go perfectly for him. And of course, he blames the airlines and everybody but himself when it fails to.
It wasn't Thanksgiving ...
Old Dec 1, 2019, 10:32 pm

I'd be happy if UA retaliated by removing Washington Post and NYT from the UA clubs. USA Today can go too. The occasional local papers are much better. The money saved can go to more trail mix.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 11:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by Long Zhiren
I'd be happy if UA retaliated by removing Washington Post and NYT from the UA clubs. USA Today can go too. The occasional local papers are much better. The money saved can go to more trail mix.
I thought they already removed newspapers from the UC? It's been a while since I visited one.

No more local & now no more papers in UC?
Old Dec 1, 2019, 11:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by LarryJ
If I read the article correctly, he did call. He didn't like the answer he got on the phone so he waited in line for 12 hours but still got the same answer.

You're right, we've come a long way in the availability of 'self-help' through the app and kiosks. Works great for the frequent flyers who know the system. Many of the infrequent flyers are still lost, though. They line up and wait.
Yeah, exactly. No surprise the FFs here are dunking on this guy, but it really makes no sense to say "he chose to wait in line for 12 hours, no sympathy for him" when by definition he wouldn't have to wait in line for 12 hours if many, many other people were not also waiting in line for 12 hours.

There's a reason the GS here always say IRROPS handling is the best part of GS.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 11:48 pm

What line is 12 hours long? Who stands in a line for 12 hours??
Old Dec 2, 2019, 1:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BB2220
What line is 12 hours long? Who stands in a line for 12 hours??
Until recently, Black Friday sales, new iPhone releases, etc

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.