FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   [Unconfirmed] UA Preparing to Sell E+ at Booking as Separate Cabin (like DL C+) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1994612-unconfirmed-ua-preparing-sell-e-booking-separate-cabin-like-dl-c.html)

JimInOhio Nov 8, 2019 9:25 am

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH (Post 31715361)
I wonder if UA is really just making it easier for those non-status business travelers (or Silvers who want good seats at booking) to get into E+ without the extra step of buying it. Some companies dictate coach fares and put the purchase (separately) of E+ on the traveler.

Vaguely similar to when CO renamed First "BusinessFirst" and marketed it as business to circumvent "we'll pay for int'l business, but not first" scheme.

There will be by-products - fewer seats for Premiers to choose from if they book late. I know a marketing lady who flies quarterly form IAH to NY/PA. She's usually a SIlver, books relatively late and tells me she usually gets crappy leftover E+ seats or is in E-. She'd be all over this.

^^ This. Yes, I think the motivation is to allow business flyers with GM or Silver status a way to get into E+ without running afoul of their corporate travel departments. If nothing else, it shows you how bad UA must think their own E- really is.

jsloan Nov 8, 2019 9:27 am

Originally Posted by Kmxu (Post 31715360)
This is the beginning of the end of free E+ selection for UA Premier members. I wish that I could be wrong on this.

I think you are wrong on this. Even DL, with their much smaller C+ cabins, provides free C+ to their premier members. UA knows they have to fill the E+ seats somehow, and giving them to Premier members is a low-cost way to do that.

I'm not saying that they won't make it more complicated and cumbersome -- I think they will. And if they copy DL, and make Gold members wait for E+ seats -- to me, that's a huge downgrade, as I'm not willing to risk having to sit in E- on a US airline for any significant length of time.

UA gets most of my business because the all-in cost is lower, once I include the cost of seating on another airline. If UA is also going to charge me for seating, they will win much less of my business.

lhrsfo Nov 8, 2019 9:28 am

If they remove E+ from Gold, then I'm kind of glad that they devalued the program - it just confirms my view that I'm done with UA after I've used the instruments I earned for 2020.

MSPeconomist Nov 8, 2019 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Repooc17 (Post 31715415)
This, it would be a little bit of annoyance, as Delta does not confirm C+ until after booking, but it's essentially the same process as it is now, maybe a few minutes more for confirmation.

Delta only provides free C+ at (ummm...after) booking for Plat status and higher; UA is giving it to Gold and above.

On DL, you can see C+ "upgrade" availability at the time of booking by clicking when logged in as a DM/PM. The "upgrade" clears after ticketing is complete, but this is within the 24 hour cancel period, so getting the confirmation after booking has no practical consequence. [DL extends the free "24 hour" cancel privilege even to tickets purchased on the day of departure.]

DL also tends to block two bulkhead C+ seats for special needs passengers. AFAIK these seats look occupied on the DL seat maps (but show as blocked on EF), so this would be one way that DL doesn't give last seat availability to DM/PM without it being very obvious. Of course the number is seats held back will depend on aircraft type, route, day of week, time of day, etc. just as it does for free elite FC upgrades.

findark Nov 8, 2019 9:35 am

Originally Posted by JimInOhio (Post 31715440)
^^ This. Yes, I think the motivation is to allow business flyers with GM or Silver status a way to get into E+ without running afoul of their corporate travel departments. If nothing else, it shows you how bad UA must think their own E- really is.

I'm not aware of any miserly corporate travel departments that permit DL C+ but not UA E+.

JimInOhio Nov 8, 2019 9:40 am

Originally Posted by findark (Post 31715479)
I'm not aware of any miserly corporate travel departments that permit DL C+ but not UA E+.

Nor am I. Our miserly travel people don't permit separate "seat upgrade" charges on either DL or UA.

dilanesp Nov 8, 2019 9:41 am

Originally Posted by JimInOhio (Post 31715440)

E- isn't bad. It's standard legacy carrier Economy. Perhaps a bit worse than DL and a bit better than AA.

But yes, any business traveler working on the plane is going to at least want an extra legroom seat.

Sykes Nov 8, 2019 9:45 am

We're actually the opposite. Because of our contract with United, we allow UA E+ but not DL C+ (primarily as a way to encourage travelers to book UA). This change will make life a lot easier for our travelers because they'll be able to search for Premium Economy in our corporate travel booking system and book straight into Economy Plus. Previously they had to purchase Economy in our booking system then upgrade to Economy Plus on united.com afterwards (because the system couldn't handle paid seat fees). Many employees still tried to search for Premium Economy in the booking system and ended up with almost no UA results for domestic itineraries (but tons of DL results).

I'm not convinced that this portends a devaluation. I think it's just bundling E+ with the fare, and if that's the case it's a good thing.

IAH-OIL-TRASH Nov 8, 2019 9:47 am

Originally Posted by dilanesp (Post 31715514)
E- isn't bad. It's standard legacy carrier...

I guess that depends on what year you start "legacy". Noone is going to tell me UA's current average E- coach pitch is the same as it was 20 years ago. And no one is goin to tell me 10-across on some planes is "legacy".

drewguy Nov 8, 2019 9:50 am

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH (Post 31715361)
I wonder if UA is really just making it easier for those non-status business travelers (or Silvers who want good seats at booking) to get into E+ without the extra step of buying it. Some companies dictate coach fares and put the purchase (separately) of E+ on the traveler.

It has a feel of that to me as well . . . it's always struck me as a bit odd that an economy pax who purchases a Y or B fare doesn't get a 'free" E+ seat with that ticket if they're not elite. Seems like the least they could do (especially with a "free" upgrade). Why wouldn't you want to appeal to high-fare economy pax by throwing in E+?

zombietooth Nov 8, 2019 9:53 am

Yeah, I don't buy that explanation.

In addition, removing the seat quality pricing discrimination likely means higher average sale price.

Put me in the camp that thinks MM benefits are about to go "bye, bye!".

fatlasercat Nov 8, 2019 10:03 am

This could also be bad for SDC. I always do it based on seatmap. But if it works the same way as for first upgrades, you'd be kicked back to E- and can just hope for an upgrade.

ctownflyer Nov 8, 2019 10:03 am

Originally Posted by zombietooth (Post 31715564)
Put me in the camp that thinks MM benefits are about to go "bye, bye!".

Well UA does have it out for lifetime members, so this makes sense.

1353513636 Nov 8, 2019 10:05 am

I don't think they need to remove E+ from Golds to offer this....more concerning to one's ability to get E+ is the tiny E+ cabins on the new 787 retrofits. I am happy about this as they were leaving money on the table with the old system, for example, I'm allowed to book PE on transcons but not allowed to pay for premium seats....but most flights on UA didn't have PE so I was stuck in E-.

I'd even buy these out of my own pocket if I could get an E+ seat at booking and mileage credit for a B fare to a foreign program.

cesco.g Nov 8, 2019 10:12 am

Is the DL C+ system also applied to international/overseas tickets?
If so, I imagine such a rollout could affect overseas reservations eventually as well .....