FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   [Unconfirmed] UA Preparing to Sell E+ at Booking as Separate Cabin (like DL C+) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1994612-unconfirmed-ua-preparing-sell-e-booking-separate-cabin-like-dl-c.html)

dilanesp Nov 8, 2019 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by tallasadoor (Post 31716309)
Pretty soon they will put a coin slot on the lavatory door.

Will I get PQP's for that?

bocastephen Nov 8, 2019 1:16 pm

IIRC, most DL aircraft have far fewer C+ seats than UA's Y+ seats, so I cannot imagine UA will expect to sell out their E+ cabin using a higher fare class, and exclude elite members from pre-selecting these seats. Also, both DL and AS give you extra goodies with a booking in their C+ cabins, while UA offers absolutely nothing - so I highly doubt someone is going to pay up unless they are receiving a better product in return.

Either way, it's Friday, another day, another screw-you from Kirby.

"At United, it's not your loyalty that matters, it's how much money you are giving us today"

Edited to add: unless UA plans on dramatically reducing the E+ cabin size system wide and reducing the legroom of the remaining rows to match AA standards of 29-30".

Kmxu Nov 8, 2019 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by dilanesp (Post 31716346)

If you insert a quarter, you will get 1 PQP because UA rounds up to the dollar (at least, for PQD purpose). The toilet line on plane will be very long because everyone is obsessed with achieving the PQP goal. :)

Aussienarelle Nov 8, 2019 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 31715168)
This would be a massive devaluation of the Premier E+ benefit.

Coming right on the heels of a massive increase in the qualification requirements.

There's been lots of speculation about various ways UA may hose MMs and this would certainly be one.

I am wondering if United is concerned about the number of flyers who are dropping from 1K to Platinum after the changes for 2020, and especially 2021.

There are many more 1MM and as a number of us comment on FT Platinum has very little advantage over Gold. So many of us at 1Mm who have no hope of getting to 3MM see little value in 2MM.

So wondering if a potential enhancement/differentiation for Platinum vs Gold.

I am one of the 1MM, 1K in 2020 who is planning free agency in 2021 as I see no value in Platinum although do acknowledge the PlusPoints available for Platinum but currently not enough perks at Platinum as something for me to want.

Mere speculation of course.

mherdeg Nov 8, 2019 1:57 pm

Is there an angle here to get cheapish pqm in 2019 before they start being meaningless in 2020? What markets should I look for B in?

fumje Nov 8, 2019 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by dilanesp (Post 31716346)

Really putting the 'P' in PQP. :eek:

cfischer Nov 8, 2019 2:01 pm

not much change I guess for GS/1K, but it sure suck for silvers and golds.

Aussienarelle Nov 8, 2019 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer (Post 31716562)
not much change I guess for GS/1K, but it sure suck for silvers and golds.

But what will it mean for Platinum?

ryman554 Nov 8, 2019 2:17 pm

Anyone got four quarters for a dollar?

Two quarters for a dollar?

Two quarters for five dollars?

jsloan Nov 8, 2019 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle (Post 31716572)
But what will it mean for Platinum?

It depends on how any change is implemented. Keep in mind: this is unconfirmed and may not actually mean anything. DL's C+ system has borne from its tiny C+ cabin. UA doesn't have that issue. On most routes, either (a) there will never be enough E+ space for everyone, however they tier it (e.g., SFO-ORD), or (b) there is plenty of E+ space for all Premier members plus anyone who wants to buy it.

If they do make a change, and they copy DL, then Platinum would get the same treatment as 1K/GS. But it's not necessarily the case that a change is in the works.

Aussienarelle Nov 8, 2019 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 31716601)
It depends on how any change is implemented. Keep in mind: this is unconfirmed and may not actually mean anything. DL's C+ system has borne from its tiny C+ cabin. UA doesn't have that issue. On most routes, either (a) there will never be enough E+ space for everyone, however they tier it (e.g., SFO-ORD), or (b) there is plenty of E+ space for all Premier members plus anyone who wants to buy it.

If they do make a change, and they copy DL, then Platinum would get the same treatment as 1K/GS. But it's not necessarily the case that a change is in the works.

Understand unconfirmed, mere speculation, etc.

But I do think United needs to do something to make Platinum attractive. Currently, apart from the few PlusPoints they are throwing at Platinums next year the gap to 1K is too large and the difference between Gold and Platinum too small.

I will never make 3MM and at 1.3MM not currently incentivized to make 2MM.

MatthewLAX Nov 8, 2019 2:23 pm

I've asked UA for clarification. Will advise when I hear back.

STS-134 Nov 8, 2019 2:36 pm

If I wasn't already leaving MileagePlus next year, I'd be scared. But this just further affirms my decision to jump to OZ or A3 *G. Since UA's devaluing all of the UA-specific benefits, there's no reason to get *G with them anymore.

TXJeepGuy Nov 8, 2019 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH (Post 31715361)
I wonder if UA is really just making it easier for those non-status business travelers (or Silvers who want good seats at booking) to get into E+ without the extra step of buying it. Some companies dictate coach fares and put the purchase (separately) of E+ on the traveler.

Vaguely similar to when CO renamed First "BusinessFirst" and marketed it as business to circumvent "we'll pay for int'l business, but not first" scheme.

There will be by-products - fewer seats for Premiers to choose from if they book late. I know a marketing lady who flies quarterly form IAH to NY/PA. She's usually a SIlver, books relatively late and tells me she usually gets crappy leftover E+ seats or is in E-. She'd be all over this.

I'm wondering if this means E+ subscriptions are going away. That was my way to get around my company not paying for E+

tallasadoor Nov 8, 2019 3:42 pm

The problem is some dumb rule-sets in corporate travel (like in my company) think C+ is the same as Premium Economy. Which it isnt.