Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Bought a ticket with no seats available until check-in....should I upgrade?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bought a ticket with no seats available until check-in....should I upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2019, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by iapetus
Hmm ... it's all academic now, but are you sure about that? It looks to me as though all E+ (and E) seats are currently spoken for. It's not hard for me to imagine a scenario by which that doesn't effectively change. Yes, there is currently upgrade space available, and you could theoretically snag a vacated E+ seat when someone gets upgraded. But your timing has to be just right ... relative to the upgrades happening; there might still be no E+ space available when you check in. And who knows when the upgrades will process?
There are eight blocked seats in E+ (the only blocks on the plane), plus the op-ups will come disproportionately from the E+ cabin. OP's odds of an E+ seat were very high with any kind of seatmap vigilance. If you pick your seat at the gate after every other Silver moved, then less so.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 6:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Buying the UG made all the sense in the world. $249 is a great price and it was unlikely that that if UA did need to OPUP a few people, he would be one of them. Don't forget that the UG was likely offered to many / most others and so long as there are enough takers, UA avoids giving the UG's away as OPUP's.
jsloan, giblet and drewguy like this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by findark
OP's odds of an E+ seat were very high with any kind of seatmap vigilance.
Probably true, but that means spending 24 hours checking the seat map incessantly (which may not be possible if in meetings, or with limited data access).

I've been in a similar position - crappy seat and hoping for improvement - and it gets tiresome to hit refresh every 15-20 minutes hoping someone else has moved or been upgraded or cancelled.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by drewguy
Probably true, but that means spending 24 hours checking the seat map incessantly (which may not be possible if in meetings, or with limited data access).

I've been in a similar position - crappy seat and hoping for improvement - and it gets tiresome to hit refresh every 15-20 minutes hoping someone else has moved or been upgraded or cancelled.
Oh, certainly, hence the "if able" in my original advice. Depending on what OP is up to in England (or elsewhere), checking in at T-24 on the dot might not be an option. And of course, PE is loads better than E+. All depends whether a stressful noon hour and E+ seat are better or worse than $249 in your pocket.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 2:59 am
Original Poster

I luckily have the sort of lifestyle that allows for seatmap vigilance, but we're three hours out now and it still looks like there are no E+ seats available, but quite a few business seats. I'll be interested to see how it shakes out.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 6:03 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
What is the buy up offer to Polaris?
Old Oct 30, 2019, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seatmap marks as going out with one cleared standby, 3 empty in E+ and 3 empty in PE. Guessing no op-ups happened after all.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by findark
Seatmap marks as going out with one cleared standby, 3 empty in E+ and 3 empty in PE. Guessing no op-ups happened after all.
I guess OP could have held out until the gate and gotten a decent E+ seat (or been assigned a crappy E- seat and then had to see GA to move).
Old Nov 2, 2019, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by Kmxu
Since OP got it once, the odd would be against OP the second time around.
Statistically, the odds would be the same

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.