Wiki Posts
Search

Advice on use of miles

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2019, 5:47 am
Original Poster

Advice on use of miles

Hi all,
Just after a quick bit of advice please. Never flown United before but my husband was awarded 100k air miles. I realise that this in reality is a relatively small number but we would like to use them in the best possible way. We are thinking of a trip from either Manchester or London to New York next Easter holiday. Would you recommend just using the miles towards economy seating paying the small fee or is a better use of miles paying the economy fare and using the miles to upgrade to business (I can’t fathom out how much this would cost).

Many thanks
Old Oct 27, 2019, 5:59 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Best use of miles is always to buy a ticket and use them to upgrade.
However situation of best use and logical use depends upon your circumstances- ability/desire to pay cash and willing to sit in the back.

Availability of award space limited especially during high volume times. Your choice of above may depend on what you can find to fit your dates.

Last edited by zebranz; Oct 27, 2019 at 5:11 pm
Old Oct 27, 2019, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hertz President's Circle, Uber Platinum
You may have a problem getting the upgrade due to limited availability/lots of competition. I fly mostly domestically in the United States and I have United 1K status, I try to use upgrade certificates rather than miles, I rarely get the upgrade.

Whatever you decide, use your points soon. They don’t improve with age.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 4:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by zebranz
Best use of miles is always to buy a ticket and use them to upgrade.
I strongly disagree. I haven't used miles to upgrade in over 15 years. The co-pays make upgrades very costly.

Originally Posted by zebranz
You choice of above may depend on what you can find to fit your dates.
This is truly the deciding factor.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I strongly disagree. I haven't used miles to upgrade in over 15 years. The co-pays make upgrades very costly.

This is truly the deciding factor.
Well, let's clarify that yes- the total cost (miles, ticket, co-pay) has to be computed. Buying a ticket does get some miles back and get BIS credit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.