Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Airlines Reports Third-Quarter 2019 Performance & Earnings Call 16 Oct 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Airlines Reports Third-Quarter 2019 Performance & Earnings Call 16 Oct 2019

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2019, 12:03 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by Bonehead
That can't be good news for us...
Proper reaction
Old Oct 17, 2019, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Not to wander into OMNI land, but I wonder how tightly UA is holding onto their collective breeches in the face of the up-to-the-deadline Brexit negotiations...I know London has long been a pivotal financial center, but this feels like something that could change that in the long run based on very near-term decisions. Feels like UA has made a big bet since they are committing all EWR/ORD-LHR flights on this high-cost bird.
EWR and ORD will still have finance though, and even if LON becomes less of a global financial center (which is not clear; it was that before the EU too) the 76Ls are not a rail line -- they can be redeployed
Old Oct 17, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, MR Titanium
Originally Posted by findark
EWR and ORD will still have finance though, and even if LON becomes less of a global financial center (which is not clear; it was that before the EU too) the 76Ls are not a rail line -- they can be redeployed
UA has seemed nimble and smart to me in terms of deploying J heavy planes on the routes that have the premium traffic. Maybe it also helps they have some very premium heavy hubs like SFO and EWR that provide the flyers willing to pay for J. Not sure AA and DL have been as good, especially internationally.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by lotemblizej
UA has seemed nimble and smart to me in terms of deploying J heavy planes on the routes that have the premium traffic. Maybe it also helps they have some very premium heavy hubs like SFO and EWR that provide the flyers willing to pay for J. Not sure AA and DL have been as good, especially internationally.
Absolutely -- one of UA's biggest corporate strengths is having high-money hubs with strong O&D premium demand. You can see it in the relative number of J seats on new UA aircraft versus new AA/DL aircraft.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1.75 MM
"Achieved No. 1 in on-time departures in all hubs where United faces large hub competitors: Denver, Chicago and Los Angeles."

That's taking a very selective slice to get a positive statistic.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by MysteryTour
"Achieved No. 1 in on-time departures in all hubs where United faces large hub competitors: Denver, Chicago and Los Angeles."

That's taking a very selective slice to get a positive statistic.
What is UA's competition at DEN...Frontier? Also a convenient way to leave out EWR, which for all intents and purposes should be compared against everyone else at LGA/JFK.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 7:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, UA Silver, AA Gold
What is UA's competition at DEN...Frontier? Also a convenient way to leave out EWR, which for all intents and purposes should be compared against everyone else at LGA/JFK.
Southwest is much closer to United in Denver than Frontier..
Old Oct 19, 2019, 4:05 am
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SPLITTERZ
Southwest is much closer to United in Denver than Frontier..
correct

Old Oct 19, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
True that. Reminds me of Churchill’s quip that “there are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics.”
Old Oct 19, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by findark
I'd rather bet on London than Hong Kong.

Last edited by zombietooth; Oct 19, 2019 at 3:05 pm
Old Oct 19, 2019, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by manstein58
True that. Reminds me of Churchill’s quip that “there are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics.”
Churchill didn’t coin that phrase.

The phrase was popularized in the United States by Mark Twain (among others), who attributed it to the British prime minister Benjamin Disraeli: "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." However, the phrase is not found in any of Disraeli's works and the earliest known appearances were years after his death. Several other people have been listed as originators of the quote, and it is often erroneously attributed to Twain himself.[1]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.