Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Seat changing etiquette? Onboard to preferred seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat changing etiquette? Onboard to preferred seats

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2019, 6:40 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
Why not warn the OP about stealing blankets and pillows too?
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The OP was specifically about "preferred seats"

I believe this post:

Originally Posted by Often1
<snip>
Sneaking into E+ is no difference than sneaking into F. It is a theft of service.
is in reply to its preceding post:

Originally Posted by SFO_LOW_CLOUDS
Agreed, it is not theft.

However, moving into E+ without permission and without paying is theft.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Long story short, book those seats at check-in, up to 24 hours before the scheduled departure time. On board, ask the FA if it's ok to move to regular economy seats farther forward.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 9:36 am

I seriously doubt the FAs have any idea which are "preferred seats" and which are not.
iluv2fly and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by threeoh
I seriously doubt the FAs have any idea which are "preferred seats" and which are not.
That's exactly what I was wondering too.

And on the flip side of this: most passengers sitting in the back have no idea where E+ begins.
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 9:44 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
They can look it up.

Most don't care as long as you're not moving to E+.
SFO_LOW_CLOUDS likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by narvik
That's exactly what I was wondering too.

And on the flip side of this: most passengers sitting in the back have no idea where E+ begins.
Don't the E+ rows have an Economy Plus label on the bins? (it’s been a while since I have flown United in Economy, so my memory is fading). Since “Preferred” seats are varying from aircraft to aircraft and presumably aren’t marked in any way, it would be hard to blame someone from self-changing into an empty row/seat after boarding ends. Pretty sure we all have or would do it, even those who scream “theft”. E+ and higher, of course, is a different story.

Of course, the last time I saw an empty coach seat worth moving into was a decade ago as well.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 11:50 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
They know, it is their little world, they also have a seat chart,

With status they will still say stay in your seat till after take off and then move,
Old Oct 15, 2019, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by satman40
They know...
But do they care?
Old Oct 15, 2019, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
How can it be “theft” when, at check-in, it was “free”?
It’s about not following the rules.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
It’s about not following the rules.
Originally you said it was "theft". I guess now you're changing your tune to say "not following the rules"...Which rule?
Old Oct 15, 2019, 2:11 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Originally Posted by narvik
But do they care?
You never know till you ask, I have been told no,

Never had one of them said in a loud voice please return to your assigned seat.,
Old Oct 15, 2019, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
If they charge more for those seats then yes, you ARE in effect "stealing" by switching seats by not asking. If however, you ask and the FA or GA gives you the go-ahead ...

The airlines are nickel-and-diming us with the extra charges but they do it because the data has shown people will pay. I've moved to empty seats or empty rows myself but that was back before they started charging for every little thing including figuring out what the more desireable seats were.
How does a regular person know what seat is dearer
Old Oct 15, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
Consider that someone may have paid for a preferred seat because there was an empty seat adjacent to it. If you take that seat, they've lost something for which they paid and all you've gotten is a seat in a different row from your assigned seat. Be nice, take your assigned seat.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by EricH
Consider that someone may have paid for a preferred seat because there was an empty seat adjacent to it. If you take that seat, they've lost something for which they paid and all you've gotten is a seat in a different row from your assigned seat. Be nice, take your assigned seat.
They paid for a preferred seat. Not a Preferred seat with an empty seat next to it.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 3:46 pm
formerly Sleepy_Sentry

Originally Posted by phkc070408
Unfortunately it is theft. Even though you’re receiving the same legroom, same food service, etc, those seats require extra payment.

As Wine mentoned, they should open up at t-24, so log in right at that time and move yourself forward before those seats get taken by others. This way it’s free and official, since you will have a boarding pass with those seats on it.
I would call it misappropriation at worst. It's pretty unfair of airlines that advertise "seat selection" as a reason to buy up to regular economy and then say, "Oh wait, we meant these seats, not those seats."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.