Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What Might Future Devaluation of MM Look Like?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2019, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Sitting at .91 MM. Will likely push on to MM, but concerned about future devaluation of benefits
I have no idea what a devaluation might look like.
Ideas?
Old Oct 11, 2019, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Let's not give them any.

My fear is that either the partner benefit are removed or MMers become Premier Silver.
cesco.g, uanj, karenkay and 7 others like this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 8:20 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
I am in the same boat as shdflyer but I am now retired and traveling less. I had thought about doing some extra TPAC/TALT in 2020 to see more of the world and pile up those last miles but with today's changes I think I am going to just make the one flight I have scheduled in May and do the award trip I have planned for July for the whole family and just close out my UA Explorer card and not worry about the Priemer game.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 8:49 am

UA would have little to gain from reducing MM benefits. The vast majority of MM miles flown are flown by those million milers who already have status. Let's consider only those travelers who don't fly enough to earn premier status and fly based on their MM status alone. My guess is that the average number of such travelers on any UA flight is less than two.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Make it a million points (dollars) instead of a million miles to qualify
Old Oct 11, 2019, 9:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
"We've listened to our customers and decided to enhance our Million Miler program by simplifying the benefits . . . ."
cesco.g, Boraxo, SS255 and 14 others like this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Whenever and whatever- it will not show any appreciation of loyalty of flyers.
gmt4 likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 10:14 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Let's not give them any.

My fear is that either the partner benefit are removed or MMers become Premier Silver.
This x2
Old Oct 11, 2019, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I suspect that *G will lose lounge access, which will move to a new *P level. Then, they won't have to "change" anything...
AceReport likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
I suspect that *G will lose lounge access, which will move to a new *P level. Then, they won't have to "change" anything...
*G cannot lose lounge access...that's part of the agreement of the *A. But, new lounges can be opened above the *G level (i.e. Polaris) thus making *G less valuable. That's already happened.

Also, I think we will see upgrade priority by PQP earned this year or last, rather than status level, which basically boots MM folks who no longer fly as much to the back of the upgrade queue. And within each status level, of course, whoever has spent the most, gets the higher priority. And like yesterday's announcement, they'll say that "We’re making these changes to ensure our most loyal members get the best value from their benefits.".
Old Oct 11, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by flyingnosh
Let's consider only those travelers who don't fly enough to earn premier status and fly based on their MM status alone. My guess is that the average number of such travelers on any UA flight is less than two.
I'm one of these, as is Ms. Mojave

I would not say we fly based on our MM status, but we fly UA based on our MM status
Boraxo, karenkay, tstauck and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by STS-134
*G cannot lose lounge access...that's part of the agreement of the *A. But, new lounges can be opened above the *G level (i.e. Polaris) thus making *G less valuable. That's already happened.
Of course *G can lose lounge access. I'm suggesting an alliance-wide decision. There have already been discussions about the introduction of a *P, and that's how I think it will be differentiated.

If they don't choose to do that -- again, on an alliance-wide basis -- then I suspect that UA Gold will lose *G; it'll be UA Silver / Gold / (Plat?) = *S and (Plat?) / 1K / GS = *G.
STS-134 likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 11:54 am

Programs: None - previously UA
I don't think that they will devalue 1MM but they may make it harder to attain, my main fear is that they change the qualification requirements just before I get to 1MM to be PQP based (Since they don't seem to care about BIS miles anymore) So something like 200K PQP + 1MM BIS. I don't see how they can do this without really screwing over a bunch of people though. Do they have the ability to go back and look at historical PQP?
ContinentalFan and 8MiHi like this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 12:05 pm

I think just as important of a question, especially for those of us close to 1MM, is how much advance notice we'll have when the inevitable devaluation comes.

I'm 110k miles away from 1MM. If an announcement gives us a few months before the change takes place, I'll just grind out the remainder when the announcement comes. But if the change might be immediate, then I better start doing mileage runs now.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 12:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Reading all these MP related change discussions has been interesting - and relaxing. If I hadn’t gone to free agent status a little over two years ago, I’d be angry right now. But I’m not. While I am flying a little bit less than I used to when I was a 1K, I’m enjoying it a lot more.
kokonutz likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.