Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Treated differently because of perceived AGE in Polaris

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Treated differently because of perceived AGE in Polaris

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2019, 12:52 pm

I started flying alone in J/F cabins internationally and domestically when I was around thirteen years old. I am now in my mid thirties, and I distinctly remember one of the first times I felt I was "getting older" was when I stopped getting the same looks or someone's double checking my boarding pass etc...
Old Sep 28, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Honestly, the process of becoming a top-tier UA elite prematurely ages many.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 1:17 pm
Suspended

Don't worry, with the popularity of movie Crazy Rich Asians, you will have a great time from now on. Did I mention the sequal is coming?
Old Sep 28, 2019, 3:18 pm

I wouldn't take anything personally, although if service is that bad I would complain. Without trying to blame any one party I think the reasoning stems from FA's having to deal with passengers that treat them badly which creates prejudices in their minds. It's wrong to stereotype passengers they have never met, but I can understand why some might do it.

My only real recommendation would be to treat FAs nicely and hope they do the same for you. If they don't, then I would complain especially in premium cabins.
travelinterpreters likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Alaska Mileage Plan, Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Rumples
hey FT,

let me first start by saying that this is in no way indicative of all cabin crews on UA. 98.9% of cabin crews I have experienced have been AMAZING and outstanding in their service to myself and my wife.

i debated about whether to start this thread because maybe im just overly sensitive, but my last flight back from ICN pushed me to write this and see if im crazy or if others feel the same.

Ive taken a lot of UA longhauls TPAC primarily, with SFO -TPE/ICN/HKG and back and what I have sometimes noticed is that older flight attendants who are of Asian ethnicity sometimes treat and look at my wife and I like we are undeserving or spoiled to be sitting in the front of the plane. (Maybe i see more asian FAs due to SFO being my hub and going TPAC)

We sometimes are passed over when we ask for PJs but they are proactively offered to others (who look older than us), we get some looks when we ask for mid-flight snacks or a bit of an attitude (where as others dont) and sometimes I just get the good old Asian grandmother look when they get to me with my meal, like, “heres another spoiled kid that I have to serve” Little things like asking for cheese + ice cream sundae has gotten me a weird look, where they dont bat an eye for other passengers who look a bit older than us.

We are both Asian, in our early 30s and we’ve worked extremely hard to get to where we are in life and have been extremely lucky to have great careers. Sometimes the tickets are GPUd, sometimes they are award bookings, and sometimes they are full fare. We dont dress like slobs (we never wear shorts on the plane, sandals, etc - because both sets of our parents worked in the airline industry and we were always taught to dress appropriately for the cabin) we go out of our way to be kind since we know its a thankless job sometimes - but Its something I cant really ignore anymore.

Does anyone feel the same sentiment sometimes? Or am i just being a snowflake? (Its ok if you think i am! I just need a sanity check)

thanks again FT!
I'd say don't sweat the 1.1% of cabin crew missteps. Seems like wasted energy.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I’ve flown business class since I was a teenager and never felt discriminated due to my age onboard. White privilege?
Old Sep 28, 2019, 4:21 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
As an Asian male, I've never experienced this and I always am boarding in a t-shirt, shorts, and sandals. Usually with a backpack too. People also tell me they think I'm in my 20s upon first meeting me.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 4:22 pm

Never happened to me.

I see an increasing amount of these threads with all sorts of perceived slights ... are people just being overly sensitive???
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 4:41 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by malgudi
Never happened to me.

I see an increasing amount of these threads with all sorts of perceived slights ... are people just being overly sensitive???
Welcome to 2019!
Old Sep 28, 2019, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, GE/TSAPre
Never happened to me.

It didn't happen to me therefore people who complain it has happened to them are overly sensitive? Hm.

With all that this board knows about UA's "high standards of service", I don't at all find it unlikely that there are actual slights, not perceived slights, happening. I would tend more to assume that the difference in how they are reacted to or complained about is more about people choosing to chalk it up to substandard UA service or actually be upset about it.

From my point of view, I will certainly say that I get more annoyed about service issues like this when I've paid for a J ticket than when I'm in economy.
NWplatinum likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 5:07 pm

The only time I recall seeing something like this personally is when a GA initially denied me pre-boarding and asked me if I was military or if I needed more time (as in I had a disability), I told her I was GS and she said I looked so young, and then immediately apologized because she also realized it sounded discriminatory. I didn't really mind though since I was the only pre-boarder on the entire flight and I still got on before everyone else.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 5:08 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Never happened to me.

Yes. Also, it is a way for them to point out to others on a forum that they at the top of the pecking order and why, oh why, do a few others not realize it?

It's nothing but backhanded bragging.

Reminds me of the posts you see on a site like tripadvisor when someone says their entire trip to Disney World was ruined because some low level employee did not smile with the appropriate radiance they were expecting.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 5:13 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
Like many older Americans, notwithstanding a more privileged than average middle class standing, I was bought up to believe that "coach" class was just fine and it was the cabin of choice for non-pretentious folks traveling on their own dime. Then I started traveling more and got pretty good at gaming getting tons of UA miles with all sort of crazy offers. So my wife and I started taking TPAC and TATL business class Saver Award flights. Then I got older and less flexible and we (older flyers) all know how "economy" got more and more cramped and unpleasant. Now I only fly at the front of the plane whether on my dime or an award ticket--much harder to do these days. I admit when I first started flying international business, I was a bit shocked to see very young adults in some of those seats. I recognize that one of the nice things about American society is there are a lot of items or services where you can pay a huge range of prices and decide what you want to splurge on and what you want to save on. So I may take a seat in the front of the plane with my entire wardrobe costing less than $100, while someone in the back has a $500 wardrobe. We should all enjoy whatever choices we have.
Boraxo and Bear4Asian like this.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
No perceptions, no bragging, just actual observation of my own account, more details:

1) FA greeted pax at boarding door, the person before me and the FA started engaging in a conversation. I decided to go around them, mainly not to hold up the boarding process. As I walked past the galley (seated in 5L) and made the turn, the FA shouted and ran toward me: "sir, you are in the wrong section". I turned and told the FA I was seated in the business cabin, FA retreated.

2) On a separate flight, there was a large number of Chinese pax in the business cabin - normal for a flight departing from PEK. There were no Mandarin speaking FA in the business cabin, at least not on one side of the plane. The FA struggled to take pre-boarding meal orders from pax sitting in front of me. When the FA came to me, I gave my first and second choices. The FA commented on how good of English I spoke.

For the record, neither account above bothered me one bit.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA should really start including pearl cream in the Polaris amenity kit. Then all the passengers will look young and we won't have this problem.
Boraxo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.