Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Pax trapped in the lav, UA1554 (DCA-SFO) diverted to DEN, bring on the bathroom humor

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pax trapped in the lav, UA1554 (DCA-SFO) diverted to DEN, bring on the bathroom humor

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2019 | 7:25 am

Correct me if Im wrong here but isnt it an CFR violation to be in the lavatory during taxiing, take off and landing? What if there was an emergency on board and they had to evacuate? Certainly would be one of the worst ways to die.

Safe Travels,

James
altabello likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2019 | 7:30 am

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Correct me if Im wrong here but isnt it an CFR violation to be in the lavatory during taxiing, take off and landing? What if there was an emergency on board and they had to evacuate? Certainly would be one of the worst ways to die.

Safe Travels,

James

One would think it a much more serious violation to run out of fuel and crash pending opening of the lav door.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2019 | 7:32 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum

Safe Travels,

James
If youre in an emergency situation, the crash axe would make quick work against that flimsy lavatory door to remove someone stuck in there, lets be honest here.

Emergency declaration will supersede CFRs in most real world applications.
Old Oct 1, 2019 | 7:32 am
30 Countries Visited1M10 Years on Site

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Correct me if Im wrong here but isnt it an CFR violation to be in the lavatory during taxiing, take off and landing?

I'm sure there was a mountain of paper wasted on reports post-incident.
Old Oct 1, 2019 | 8:35 am
20 Years on Site

I guess the passenger was number two on the upgrade list...
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2019 | 8:37 am

That's one reason why there are so many exits. Evacuation tests for certification are made with half the exits blocked or inoperable.
Old Oct 1, 2019 | 8:51 am

Heard the comp for the incident was a years free supply of United's premium PM and a plastic built in seat for home use...
Old Oct 1, 2019 | 8:58 am

No doubt the seating in the lav sure beats that of the United Club at EWR

-James
wrp96 and The_Bouncer like this.
Old Oct 3, 2019 | 9:31 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Originally Posted by mherdeg
Is there a name for the phenomenon that an event is newsworthy when it happens on an airplane?
Originally Posted by Petdog
Yes. "Man bites dog."

If an event is more unusual or rarer, it gets more attention than similar occurrences with similar consequences.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_bi...g_(journalism)
I don't know if that is what mherdeg means, well, because I interpreted what mherdeg said as this:
many times something makes the news, but it is some non-noteworthy event. It is only because of some connection. That is why they like to say "some famous person's sister got jailed". This person is not known by name, but because they are related to someone famous it implies some connection, and thus you want to read about it.
In terms of airplane events, many events on the airplane are not newsworthy. As in, people get in a fight. Even having officers meet them upon landing isn't newsworthy-happens not uncommonly. It just seems like the public likes to read about things that happen on a plane. I would venture to say because they don't fly that much. If people flew as much as they drove, then this stuff wouldn't be news anymore.
In fact, I'm sure much more interesting stuff happens on public busses, but that isn't the audience newspaper caters to?
Old Oct 3, 2019 | 9:35 am

Safe Travels,

James
I think the only crime was the lack of resourcefulness and problem-solving skills in getting the door open
Old Oct 3, 2019 | 10:34 am
10 Years on Site

Originally Posted by s0ssos
I think the only crime was the lack of resourcefulness and problem-solving skills in getting the door open
If five firemen with crowbars take 20 minutes to get the door open, it's not a surprise that a bunch of FAs/pax with very limited tools could do it in less time than it would take to divert.

Probably some stronger crew/pax could have kicked the door down but that's with significant risk of hurting the occupant. Better to land and remove the door safely.

Originally Posted by dh01
I was on the UA 1554 that was diverted. The woman was inside for over an hour, and then upon landing, we all thought easy fix and we will be on our way. It took five firemen with crowbars and about 20 minutes to get the poor woman out.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2019 | 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by threeoh
If five firemen with crowbars take 20 minutes to get the door open, it's not a surprise that a bunch of FAs/pax with very limited tools could do it in less time than it would take to divert.

Probably some stronger crew/pax could have kicked the door down but that's with significant risk of hurting the occupant. Better to land and remove the door safely.
So you are saying there is no risk to not sitting in a seat and wearing a seatbelt for landing?
I do not think there is but that is not what the airlines have said for decades.
Old Oct 3, 2019 | 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos
So you are saying there is no risk to not sitting in a seat and wearing a seatbelt for landing?
I do not think there is but that is not what the airlines have said for decades.
In fairness, I suspect the stuck passenger in the lav, could've strapped on the in-built seatbelt. Surely there must be a seatbelt in the law for these purposes to say nothing of turbulence while taking a number 2. I mean they have ashtrays in the lav, surely they must have seatbelts there, right?! Either that or the purpose of the ashtray is to give you a place to sit your cigarette whilst you are in said situation. I'm not a smoker but if I were in that situation I would've lit one up

Safe Travels,

James
Old Oct 3, 2019 | 7:39 pm
30 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: HH Silver. (Former UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat)
The purpose of the ash tray is that if someone ignores the rule and does smoke in the lav they'll have somewhere safe to dispose of the cigarette instead of throwing it in the trash and possibly starting a fire.

In addition to the required ashtray, each lavatory is required to have a trash bin fire suppression system as the threat of an uncontrolled trash fire is so serious.
Old Oct 3, 2019 | 8:14 pm
10 Years on Site

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
So in all seriousness... Is a diversion in such a case "strictly" necessary?

If that were me, I'd probably tell them not to bother diverting. I can do 2 1/2 hours sitting in the lav. Send an FA to my seat, gather my stuff up so it's secure, and let's get to our destination. I'd figure I've got more room sitting in the lav than at my seat anyway, and running water if I need a drink. Plus I can get up and stretch out. I'd tell them I'm happy to save United money and get everyone to their destination - just give me a voucher for half of what the diversion would've cost. :-)

Would that be permissible, or is there a protocol that says the flight has to divert?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.