Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No *G contract lounge access for UA Y pax at some outstations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No *G contract lounge access for UA Y pax at some outstations?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by cfischer
if *A lists the lounge then UA ought to provide access.
When using the Lounge Finder on staralliance.com, you need to specify what ticket and status you have to get accurate results. The first search is based on airport only, but if you scroll up (on the results screen), you can add filters to the search. In the example above for SNN, if you add the filters that you are on an Economy ticket and you have United MP Gold status, the search returns no results.. Just to correct myself, in the SNN example, if you say you are flying UA in Economy and are MP Gold, it says you would have access to the contract lounge. My original point still holds that you need to give the search engine the correct filters, or else you just get a list of *A lounges at the airport.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by NightFly
...Not honoring a *G benefit would seriously deter me from using UA rather than other airlines, should I have a choice.
If it's not a UA or *A lounge, it's not required to "honor a *G benefit". It's only required to provide access as the contract provides. A lot of contract lounges service multiple carriers across multiple programs. If you switch airlines because of this slight, you might just find yourself at the exact same lounge, being turned away again as a economy passenger. The lounges are not designed to honor every variance of admittance (eg economy passengers), so front cabin seats are the ticket in.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 10:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I remember in the past that written lounge invitation cards were used more frequently than they are now, where the usual procedure is to show one's boarding pass (and elite card sometimes too). Using the invitations pushes the responsibility of determining access for originating passengers onto the operating carrier or their airport contract workers and can cause ambiguity about whether and where to request the invitation card at connecting airports.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 10:46 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

I think we should refuse to answer questions when the poster doesn't specify the airports or even better yet, use XXX YYY ZZZ for the airport codes.

We can be that much more helpful when we know the specifics.
dvs7310, m.y and Kacee like this.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
If I look at all the contract lounges on the UA site and identify those not allowing *G upfront as a contract lounge.

Anchorage, AK, US (ANC)
Athens, GR (ATH)
Chengdu (CTU)
Dublin, IE (DUB)
Papeete, PF (PPT) (definitely not an outstation)
Stockholm, SE (ARN)
Tel Aviv, IL (TLV)

Filtering further for any lounges at the airport (*A finder)

ANC does not allow UA*G in Y
ATH, DUB allows UA*G in Y.
CTU does not allow UA*G in Y
ARN, TLV allows UA* G in Y

So this is really about ANC or CTU?

https://www.united.com/web/en-us/con...ations/bf.aspx
Old Sep 24, 2019, 11:08 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by NightFly
Umm, not so sure about this one. Quoting the official Star Alliance lounge access policy: "At airports where neither a Star Alliance branded lounge nor a Star Alliance member carrier offers a lounge, third party lounges are contracted by some of our member airlines. As a Star Alliance Gold customer travelling on a Star Alliance member airlines operated flight from such airports, you have access to these third party contract lounges, if the member airline you are travelling on has a contract with this lounge." There is no mention of any exclusion nor "limited" contracts for a certain travel class only.

Anyway, good to know about an eventual impossibility of lounge access from outstations. Will be taking that into consideration..
Pretty clear to me. If the United contract with the lounge doesn't include *G pax, UA*G in Y don't have access. Seems to be a case-by-case basis.

My example is SNN. If you use the Star Alliance Lounge Finder, which IME is pretty reliable, if you enter parameters that do not include business as class of service (with *G status), it won't return a lounge option.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 11:27 am

Location: CTU/TFU(Chengdu, Sichuan, China) - MIG (Mianyang, Sichuan, China) - EWR/JFK/LGA/HPN (Great New York City Metro Area, NY, USA) - HVN/BDL (New Haven/Hartford, CT, USA)
Programs: UA 1MM/F9 Diamond; Marriott Lifetime Gold; IHG Platinum; Choice Privileges Platinum
Originally Posted by aacharya
If I look at all the contract lounges on the UA site and identify those not allowing *G upfront as a contract lounge.

Anchorage, AK, US (ANC)
Athens, GR (ATH)
Chengdu (CTU)
Dublin, IE (DUB)
Stockholm, SE (ARN)
Tel Aviv, IL (TLV)

CTU's lounge at the international terminal allows access for UA*G when flying in Y on UA8 (CTU-SFO) or NH to NRT. I have done this several times. It is a very nice lounge.

However, if you are flying Air China international flight out of CTU, you can not access the same lounge. Instead, you have to use the small tiny Air China lounge nearby.

I have been denied lounge access once at LJG (Lijiang, Yunnan province, China) when flying on Air China as a UA*G. The lounge staff said that Air China informed them not to allow STAR*G into the lounge, only CA*G guest can when flying Air China
Old Sep 24, 2019, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold

Anchorage, AK, US (ANC)
Athens, GR (ATH)
Chengdu (CTU)
Dublin, IE (DUB)
Stockholm, SE (ARN)
Tel Aviv, IL (TLV)

OP says a TATL flight in the initial post.

It would be really helpful if OP discloses the lounge location.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
I think we should refuse to answer questions when the poster doesn't specify the airports or even better yet, use XXX YYY ZZZ for the airport codes.
I wont' answer AAA-BBB-CCC questions. It's a waste of time.
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Repooc17
OP says a TATL flight in the initial post.

It would be really helpful if OP discloses the lounge location.
OP stated an outstation (to begin the trip, i imagine). There aren't many outstations doing direct TATLs in the UA network.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 11:55 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Also appears to be a case of an non-UA *G , on an UA operated flight at a contract lounge station.
Just to complicate things a bit
Old Sep 24, 2019, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Also appears to be a case of an non-UA *G , on an UA operated flight at a contract lounge station.
Just to complicate things a bit
I'm going to make some assumptions based on OP's profile. He's flying the non-stop PRG->EWR service on UA and is LH*G. Per the Star Alliance finder website, there are no *Gold lounges at PRG. The only lounges available for * are contract lounges. However, they are only with LX, OS, JP, LH, OU, TK, SN, LO and A3. Hence, he would not be able to access any lounge at PRG regardless of cabin or status flying UA. If he was flying any of the other listed airlines then sure. In which case I'd argue that he should be arguing about the quality of the airport he is departing from and/or carefully consider next time the airline he chooses to book if he is so keen on getting lounge access.

Next time look at connecting at a * hub like FRA, ZRH, VIE or alternatively a UA hub like LHR. I can understand your frustration and have been there before (i.e. the UA outstation ORD which does not have a suitable lounge a story for another day).

Safe Travels,

James
Old Sep 24, 2019, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by j2simpso
I'm going to make some assumptions based on OP's profile. He's flying the non-stop PRG->EWR service on UA and is LH*G. Per the Star Alliance finder website, there are no *Gold lounges at PRG. The only lounges available for * are contract lounges. However, they are only with LX, OS, JP, LH, OU, TK, SN, LO and A3. Hence, he would not be able to access any lounge at PRG regardless of cabin or status flying UA. If he was flying any of the other listed airlines then sure. In which case I'd argue that he should be arguing about the quality of the airport he is departing from and/or carefully consider next time the airline he chooses to book if he is so keen on getting lounge access.

Next time look at connecting at a * hub like FRA, ZRH, VIE or alternatively a UA hub like LHR. I can understand your frustration and have been there before (i.e. the UA outstation ORD which does not have a suitable lounge a story for another day).

Safe Travels,

James
Certainly could be PRG, but in that case, their original post wouldn't make senes as they seem to indicate that C on UA got access, but not *G (LH SEN) in Y. Still need to OP to let us in on the big secret as to which lounge they are referring to.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by j2simpso
I can understand your frustration and have been there before (i.e. the UA outstation ORD which does not have a suitable lounge a story for another day).
I don't think there is anyone here who would equate ORD with outstation.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 1:43 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I don't think there is anyone here who would equate ORD with outstation.
Well apparently there is one such person

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.