Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Unable to confirm E+ seats 24 hrs prior the flight, first flight partner operated

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unable to confirm E+ seats 24 hrs prior the flight, first flight partner operated

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2019, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

We bought flight tickets through United for DEN-NRT-BKK-NRT-DEN last year.
The BKK-NRT was on ANA and NRT-DEN on United.
When we wanted to check in 24 hours in advance and select economy plus seats, we logged in to United, selected the E+ seats and then the system did not allow us to confirm our selection, citing, we have to check in though ANA.
ANA system did not allow us to select E+ seats on United.
In the end we had to wait and ask the airport staff to help, they, reluctantly, did, but had to call United to confirm our E+ seats.

As we will be flying the same route shortly, I called United and asked them how to handle the situation. Did not get any helpufl advice, as they kept saying I should check in on United web site (exactly, what we did last year and what did not work).

Do you have any suggestions on how to confirm the E+ seats 24 hours in advance of the flight?
Thank you.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by Boleslav
We bought flight tickets through United for DEN-NRT-BKK-NRT-DEN last year.
The BKK-NRT was on ANA and NRT-DEN on United.
When we wanted to check in 24 hours in advance and select economy plus seats, we logged in to United, selected the E+ seats and then the system did not allow us to confirm our selection, citing, we have to check in though ANA.
ANA system did not allow us to select E+ seats on United.
In the end we had to wait and ask the airport staff to help, they, reluctantly, did, but had to call United to confirm our E+ seats.

As we will be flying the same route shortly, I called United and asked them how to handle the situation. Did not get any helpufl advice, as they kept saying I should check in on United web site (exactly, what we did last year and what did not work).

Do you have any suggestions on how to confirm the E+ seats 24 hours in advance of the flight?
Thank you.
Check-in on-line with ANA 24 hours in advance. After a bit (an hour or so), your check-in should populate over to United, then you should be able to select E+ on united.com.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by wxguy
Check-in on-line with ANA 24 hours in advance. After a bit (an hour or so), your check-in should populate over to United, then you should be able to select E+ on united.com.
This. Or wait until 24 hours before the UA flight itself.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aacharya
. Or wait until 24 hours before the UA flight itself.
We did wait 24 hrs before UA flight, yet it didn't work.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
We did wait 24 hrs before UA flight, yet it didn't work.
Your OP didn't note that, it made it seem as if you did it 24 hours before the first (non-UA) flight.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 9:02 am
Original Poster

yes, sorry I was not clear in the OP

Originally Posted by wxguy
Last year we waited for several hours and tried again, still did not work. thank you though

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 18, 2019 at 11:24 am Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 18, 2019, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last year we waited for several hours and tried again, still did not work. thank you though
Check the Silver Experience thread: United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A

I believe -- but I'm not sure, because I'm not Silver -- that if you change your seat in this situation (from the reservation, if UA doesn't think you're checked in) it will allow you to select E+ seats. It'll display a charge, but it won't actually bill you. (Obviously, read carefully if you end up at a confirmation page!)
Old Sep 18, 2019, 11:29 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
You will not be able to check-in with UA if the first flight is non-UA. The ticket is "owned" by the first flight operator. Once you have boarded all non-UA flights and the next flight is UA operated, you will be able to check-in with UA.

Changing seat assignments do not require being checked in. Unsure if this will work, but have you tried online or with the app once you are with-in 24 hours of the UA flight to change seat assignments? Or calling to do that? UA should be able to do the seat change.
jsloan likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You will not be able to check-in with UA if the first flight is non-UA. The ticket is "owned" by the first flight operator. Once you have boarded all non-UA flights and the next flight is UA operated, you will be able to check-in with UA.

Changing seat assignments do not require being checked in. Unsure if this will work, but have you tried online or with the app once you are with-in 24 hours of the UA flight to change seat assignments? Or calling to do that? UA should be able to do the seat change.
From experience,likely won't work

During 24hr-from-UA flight, you cannot make sear changes via manage-reservation. Need to do it via the check-in page, which is blocked due to the partner check-in requirement. This is a limitation on the UA system, can try to see if UA app bypasses it or not

You can always call United and they are happy to make the e+ seat change during the 24hr-from-UA flight period

Once partner flight is consumed, then UA check-in page works fine. Not sure when "consumed" happens (from experience, UA check-in page works after I landed on ANA flight, didnt try it when I did inpsrson check in on ANA flight or when I boarded ANA leg)
Old Sep 18, 2019, 12:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by paperwastage

Once partner flight is consumed, then UA check-in page works fine. Not sure when "consumed" happens (from experience, ...
Many cases some period of time after boarding if you have connectivity onboard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.