Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Partially Canceling MileagePlus Upgrade... Question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Partially Canceling MileagePlus Upgrade... Question

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2019, 4:50 pm

One other point and perhaps the OP can look into this for me since I'm a UA Elite and can't see what UA is charging non-Elites for things: If you go into the seat map section and look at the over-wing exit seat that is a window seat - how much is it? My understanding is those aren't labelled E+ for some reason so the cost of those seats should be similar to selecting a normal seat in advance. Yes, I know there is an emergency door that protrudes out a bit but the legroom is still great and some people **cough** yours truly **cough** actually sit their feet across those doors.

-James
Old Sep 11, 2019, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Elite Silver, UA
Thanks for all the info. I’m going to keep the upgrade in to Polaris in place and see what happens. Worst case is it doesn’t clear and I receive a refund while retaining my confirmed upgrade to P+
jsloan likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 6:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by j2simpso
... If you go into the seat map section and look at the over-wing exit seat that is a window seat - how much is it? ...
In many cases those are "preferred seats" and have a (smaller) fee for non-elites / preferred corporate customers.

Originally Posted by j2simpso
...My understanding is those aren't labeled E+ for some reason ...
significantly less leg space than standard E+, let alone exit row.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 4:39 am
Original Poster

So... bit of an update.

After talking with everyone, I decided to go the opposite direction and waitlist not only on the way there but also the way back. I figured doing so would give me the best chance of experiencing Polaris.

After patiently waiting for two months, both legs cleared!!! On top of that, I got two seats to clear next to each other for my wife and I.

I’m excited to see what’s changed since the day’s of lazy boy chairs on the upper deck of a United 747-400.

Thanks everyone for the advice.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Congratulations! To make the most of your trip, you can consider looking at these threads:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...seats-77j.html
(short moral: look for odd-number D/G seats for your wife and yourself.)

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ad-lounge.html
(short moral: try the Turkish or Lufthansa lounge for a better experience, but allot 20 minutes to go to the gate.)
Old Nov 17, 2019, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fumje
Congratulations! To make the most of your trip, you can consider looking at these threads:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...seats-77j.html
(short moral: look for odd-number D/G seats for your wife and yourself.)

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ad-lounge.html
(short moral: try the Turkish or Lufthansa lounge for a better experience, but allot 20 minutes to go to the gate.)
Thanks Fumje! I was able to grab an odd number seat arrangement on the way back. I’ll keep an eye on the outbound flight just incase things shuffle around.

Lounge question - Does a United Polaris ticket get me into the Lufthansa or other star alliance lounges in IAD? I have access to the Turkish lounge through priority pass so I guess I’ll use that as a backup.

Thanks
Old Nov 17, 2019, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by reelknead1
Thanks Fumje! I was able to grab an odd number seat arrangement on the way back. I’ll keep an eye on the outbound flight just incase things shuffle around.

Lounge question - Does a United Polaris ticket get me into the Lufthansa or other star alliance lounges in IAD? I have access to the Turkish lounge through priority pass so I guess I’ll use that as a backup.

Thanks
Yes, you can just use your Polaris ticket (boarding pass), no need for status or membership.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Yes, you can just use your Polaris ticket (boarding pass), no need for status or membership.
Thanks for all the helpful information!
Old Nov 17, 2019, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

True, but only when leaving IAD in Polaris. It would not be accepted on the return, if OP is connecting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.