Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is compensation due for this delayed departure?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is compensation due for this delayed departure?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2019, 3:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Any guesses on how UA came up with the amount of precisely $124? I would have expected $100/$125/$150 etc.
Either a typo or related to the extra expenses (transportation to the hotel) plus some even amount for "customer appreciation".
Old Nov 4, 2019, 4:25 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Delta1949, thank you for circling back to the thread to update with the outcome. It adds to the member-helping-member spirit which the site aims to have; and offers another data-point at compensation.
narvik and Delta1949 like this.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 1:10 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Just one Data point, but my wife & I recently took a VDB NRT-EWR and we went NRT-SFO-EWR. We were in Award J and got to stay in J for both legs. Our connection in SFO was supposed to get us into EWR in plenty of time to make the last Amtrak train of the evening to Wilmington DE. Unfortunately we were a few hours late arriving into EWR due to the plane going MX and we missed the last train. There was still one to Philadelphia, about 25 miles from Wilm. When I asked the agent at the CSR desk about a taxi voucher from PHILA to WILM, she said she couldn’t do that because the taxi wasn’t originating at EWR, but she did offer us a room for the night. (we just wanted to get home so we ate the cab fare ourselves).

I remember watching the person in front of us in line give the agent a mild sap story when asking for whatever he was asking for. Seeing that and the agent rolling her eyes probably prevented us from making the same mistake. Our outcome was more generous than what he received.
narvik likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by phkc070408
Seeing that and the agent rolling her eyes probably prevented us from making the same mistake. Our outcome was more generous than what he received.
Most agents appreciate it when you don't try to snow them. They've heard it all before anyway.

That said, if you were delayed due to MX, I'd write in, explain the situation, and ask if you could be reimbursed. There's a good chance you'd get an additional ETC, beyond the VDB comp, to cover the taxi fare.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 6:03 am

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold
A few weeks ago I was flying from ORD to BUF, and got in about 4 hours late. We had a mech delay, followed by our replacement plane getting stuck in the penalty box. Complained and got a $200 voucher. Same deal, just complained that I missed dinner with my family, and gave them my receipt for ORD dinner which was much less than $200, and much less delicious that the buffalo meal I missed.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Frontier, American, United, Alaska
Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
Delta1949, thank you for circling back to the thread to update with the outcome. It adds to the member-helping-member spirit which the site aims to have; and offers another data-point at compensation.
you bet. Sorry for the typos....new ipad but no excuse. No clue where they came up with that amount.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Frontier, American, United, Alaska
Not a typo on the amount.....it was that exact amount.....impressive

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.