Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Connecting with bags on separate tickets at CDG Airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2019, 8:23 am
Original Poster

My first time posting. I will be flying United IAD to CDG arrival 6:55 am. I wanted to book Air France CDG to NAP 9:15 am flight, because it is a non stop. If I miss it they have one at 8:45pm, will they rebook me? Anyone with the same experience? Is this enough time to get through passport control and getting re ticked at Air France? If I fly United business class will that help me get through faster? Tia
Old Sep 6, 2019, 9:00 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
If you are familiar with CDG and know how to quickly navigate through T1 to the shuttle train to the appropriate T2 AF terminal, you should be able to make it. But you will need your inbound to be on time and to move very quickly. Flying UA business class will get you nothing other than off of the plane first. What AF may do if you miss your flight is completely up to them.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 9:17 am
Original Poster

So UA business does not have a priority line at passport control?
Old Sep 6, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Bags or no bags?
Old Sep 6, 2019, 9:45 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by Deenee
So UA business does not have a priority line at passport control?
Welcome to FlyerTalk. If you have a business class boarding ticket, you can access the fast track lane (called Access One, or something similar) upon arrival at CDG.

If UA's flight is delayed and you miss your next flight on a different ticket, AF has no obligation to re-accommodate you. If they do, there could be a fee and/or you may have to pay for a difference in fare.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stevenshev
Bags or no bags?
we will have checked bags
Old Sep 6, 2019, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Per policy, United will not check luggage through to a non-Star Alliance carrier on a separate ticket. That means you'd need to claim your luggage and take it with you to an Air France check-in counter.

If this is all on one ticket, they'd check it through to the final destination, but I'm guessing you're talking about two separate tickets.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Acces No, 1 will get you to Passport Control faster. Before you arrive, you should ask the FA for an Acces No. 1 coupon. If FA does not have it, then ask the United gate staff who meets the flight. Follow the Acces No 1 sign which will point you to a different area than the regular immigration line.

If your flight is on time, you should be fine. CDG is tricky so feel free to ask questions to airport staff.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 10:42 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
All on one ticket booked via UA
or two separate tickets ??
-- makes a huge difference.

Separate tickets -- UA will not check thru the bags, you will have to manually recheck the bags and UA has no responsibility if you miss the connection
Old Sep 6, 2019, 11:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
2:20 is not enough time with checked bags, since you will have to claim and recheck them with AF.

For this connection, I would want 3 hours minimum, and more would be better. CDG is a nightmare.
chavala and Collierkr like this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 11:19 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by MostlyUA
Acces No, 1 will get you to Passport Control faster. Before you arrive, you should ask the FA for an Acces No. 1 coupon. If FA does not have it, then ask the United gate staff who meets the flight. Follow the Acces No 1 sign which will point you to a different area than the regular immigration line.

If your flight is on time, you should be fine. CDG is tricky so feel free to ask questions to airport staff.
They no longer give coupons, you just have to show and scan your boarding pass. At least that's how it worked a few months ago.

I agree with Kacee, that's not enough time if you check bags and have two separate tickets, especially if your flight is even slightly delayed.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 11:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
They no longer give coupons, you just have to show and scan your boarding pass. At least that's how it worked a few months ago.
Yes, just show business class BP.

In three recent passes through CDG, Acces 1 provided me no time savings. That's a relatively small sample of experiences, and it's certainly possible there are times when it does provide advantage.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
isn't it BP going out of CDG but you need a voucher to come into France?
Old Sep 6, 2019, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MostlyUA
isn't it BP going out of CDG but you need a voucher to come into France?
That's my understanding too, but I have always been a little confused going through CDG.
Kacee likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
All on one ticket booked via UA
or two separate tickets ??
-- makes a huge difference.

Separate tickets -- UA will not check thru the bags, you will have to manually recheck the bags and UA has no responsibility if you miss the connection
yes, they are two separate flights. I want to go to the Amalfi coast so I have to get to Naples but wanted to fly into CDG because it will be on an updated Polaris plane. The ones flying into Naples from IAD are the old ones.
I guess I’ll just have to pick a later flight, I didn’t like those because they have a stop. Sigh......Thanks everyone for the info and input!

I arrive at CDG 6:55am I just saw there’s a flight to FCO at 10:30am. 3 1/2 hours should give us enough time?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 6, 2019 at 1:47 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.