Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is there a Flat-Tire rule for missing a UA award booked partner flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is there a Flat-Tire rule for missing a UA award booked partner flight?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2019, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I think we have beaten this horse to death, but I don't think you're convinced yet.

You booked a ticket on Asiana through United. United's involvement once the ticket was issued pretty much ended. Anything relating to travel falls under the rules of the operating carrier, in this case Asiana. If Asiana lost your luggage, for example, there would be no point in calling UA. They just sold you a ticket on their codeshare partner. If you missed your Asiana flight it has nothing to do with United or their rules. Your example with the American Express lounge pass is not relevant or comparable, because there is a specific agreement about lounge accessing in place. There is no agreement in place between a travel agent and an airline for missed flights.

The concept of standing by for an earlier or later flight (ie unpurchased flexibility) is an almost uniquely US carrier policy. The rest of the world is much more black/white rulebook about missed flights.
United and Asiana didn’t seem to recognize that as each asked me to call the other on the way to the airport.

As to following the rule, couldn’t tell you. Some things in Asia are very much by the manual, others depend on your ‘perceived status’ and charm and sometimes persistence. I didn’t do as much at the airport as I might have as there was a language barrier, and besides as noted, we were late, but arrived prior to take off time.

By the way the example with the lounge is comparable because the lounge didn’t seem to know the rule and at one time I photocopied the relevant section from Amex concerning lounge access in case it happened again (we often transit through Moscow).
Old Apr 4, 2019, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Walter B Kasmer curious did you contact United about this with as much bandwidth that’s playing out through Flyertalk I’m curious if you’re just venting, looking for a solution from us but the highest authority here is United.: Have you, or will you contact them?
Old Apr 4, 2019, 1:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Walter B Kasmer curious did you contact United about this with as much bandwidth that’s playing out through Flyertalk I’m curious if you’re just venting, looking for a solution from us but the highest authority here is United.: Have you, or will you contact them?
United has no horse in this race at all.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club

United has no horse in this race at all.
Then I will amend : Did you contact Asiana??
Old Apr 4, 2019, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

I contacted both by phone and now both by email as well. Asiana’s first reply didn’t concede much, just reiterating about us missing the 50 minute cutoff to check in. Still waiting to hear back from United.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:40 am
Suspended

What are you expecting UA to tell you, if they respond at all?
Old Apr 5, 2019, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by Walter B Kasmer
Unfortunately, our travel insurance didn’t cover it. Still waiting to hear back from both Asiana and United. Not expecting much, but we’ll see. Mostly chock it up to getting my partner to leave for the airport much earlier to avoid a perfect storm: award ticket, no seats available for a number of days, no wait listing available, etc.
As one who pushes to the last few minutes more than I should, it doesn't sound like much of a storm. Your expectations based on past experiences didn't play out in your favor. If you'd have been on a paid OZ ticket and there wasn't Y space, the outcome would have been the same, aside from a potentially smaller increment to upfare. They could have just have easily cancelled your ticket as a no show and given you nothing though.

Life lesson and motivation to budget a little more time I guess. Maybe I'll learn from you and take my own advice! One can only hope...!
Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:01 am
Original Poster

What are you expecting UA to tell you, if they respond at all?
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Originally Posted by c5ruzr
As one who pushes to the last few minutes more than I should, it doesn't sound like much of a storm. Your expectations based on past experiences didn't play out in your favor. If you'd have been on a paid OZ ticket and there wasn't Y space, the outcome would have been the same, aside from a potentially smaller increment to upfare. They could have just have easily cancelled your ticket as a no show and given you nothing though.

Life lesson and motivation to budget a little more time I guess. Maybe I'll learn from you and take my own advice! One can only hope...!
Basically that is what it worked out to (canceling the ticket and forcing us to buy a new one). Yes, I hope, but I am not the one who likes to arrive later....

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 5, 2019 at 5:55 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 5, 2019, 8:45 am

London Elite: A buddy of mine whom I help from time to time about united related issues called me when in route to the airport in Thailand. He left his passport at his condo and had to go back and he too is someone who arrives at the airport rather late. we conferenced in United and the 1K agent reissued him a ticket on another star carrier for later that day. Unfortunately, that was not the only time on another occasion he knew he was going to miss his flight and we called into United and they accommodated once again. United doesn't have any metal out of BKK and these were all on partners. The first one was on an award ticket and the second was on the revenue ticket. Bear in mind these are on other carriers other than United, tickets were issued by United. And.. each time they accommodated the passenger. Is this because he's a 1K?
Old Apr 5, 2019, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by Walter B Kasmer
Yes, I hope, but I am not the one who likes to arrive later....
My SO and I never miss flights when travelling separately, but when we are travelling together we have missed a surprising number of flights (at least one per year). It comes down to different styles of time management / planning that don't mesh well, either of which works fine on its own.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is this because he's a 1K?
Not necessarily; it may just have been that there was award space available (in the first case) and other paid space available (in the second case).

UA is actually pretty good about helping with problems that aren't their responsibility.

That said, if there were no available seats for confirmation, your friend likely would have been SOL. That's what happened here.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:04 pm
Suspended

London Elite: A buddy of mine whom I help from time to time about united related issues called me when in route to the airport in Thailand. He left his passport at his condo and had to go back and he too is someone who arrives at the airport rather late. we conferenced in United and the 1K agent reissued him a ticket on another star carrier for later that day. Unfortunately, that was not the only time on another occasion he knew he was going to miss his flight and we called into United and they accommodated once again. United doesn't have any metal out of BKK and these were all on partners. The first one was on an award ticket and the second was on the revenue ticket. Bear in mind these are on other carriers other than United, tickets were issued by United. And.. each time they accommodated the passenger. Is this because he's a 1K?
Maybe, I don't know. My feeling with UA (and borne out in many years of experience) is it is very much down to the agent you get. Some are fantastic, completely on the ball and helpful, others get by doing the minimum, and some are just downright useless. Unlike BA and LH, the two other airlines where I have the most experience (having given up on AC), agent quality at UA is a lot more variable (so HUCA often plays out very well.)
Old Apr 6, 2019, 1:35 am
Original Poster

I got a generic email from United with a lot of apologies. Unfortunately, apologies don’t pay my bills.

Not sure if there is much else I can do. It’s nice to know sometimes something can be done. Ironically, my partner thinks I should reserve more anger for the airline.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 1:48 am
Suspended

I think the South Korean ministry responsible for roads or the taxi company owes you more than United does.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 12:02 am
Original Poster

I think the South Korean ministry responsible for roads or the taxi company owes you more than United does.
No, just need to leave more time for going to the airport. Maybe like do an overnight before you fly?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.