Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New UA 2020 intl summer routes; Nice (NCE), Palermo (PMO), Curacao (CUR) & more TATL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 22, 2019, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United Airlines Announces 12 New and Expanded International Destinations from Chicago, Denver, New York/Newark and San Francisco

New 2020 international summer services to Nice, France; Palermo, Italy; and Curacao
United now offers customers more than 270 international routes to 57 countries

CHICAGO, Aug. 22, 2019
United Airlines today unveiled an expanded international schedule from its hubs in Chicago, Denver, New York/Newark and San Francisco. United's announcement includes brand-new service to Nice, France; Palermo, Italy; and Curacao. The airline also announced customers will have more options when planning travel to Europe with additional flights to Amsterdam; London; Frankfurt, Germany; and Zurich and will resume its seasonal summer service earlier to popular destinations including Athens, Greece; Naples, Italy; Porto, Portugal; and Barcelona, Spain.

"United's global network is a tremendous source of pride for our employees and loyal customers – we're always looking for ways to grow and expand our network to connect our customers to more destinations around the world," said United's International Network Vice President Patrick Quayle. "These new additions help position United as the airline of choice for customers planning their business or leisure travel."

New seasonal service between New York/Newark and Curacao, Nice and Palermo
Just in time to escape the winter weather, United is adding Curacao to its Caribbean route network and enabling customers access to all of the ABC islands, including Aruba and Bonaire. Curacao, United's 21st island destination in the Caribbean, will operate on Saturdays beginning Dec. 7, 2019, with Boeing 737-700 aircraft, subject to government approval.

United's unparalleled global route network provides customers with easy access between the United States and many of the world's top vacation destinations. Beginning May 2, 2020, United will offer customers daily nonstop service between New York/Newark and Nice, France – the gateway to the French Riviera. The airline will operate service to Nice with its premium Boeing 767-300ER aircraft featuring 46 United Polaris business class seats – offering the most premium seats between the United States and southern France of any U.S. airline.

In addition, beginning May 20, United will be the only airline offering nonstop daily service between the United States and Palermo, Italy, the capital city of Sicily and United's fifth Italian destination: the most of any U.S. airline. Service to Nice and Palermo is subject to government approval.

In the last two years, United has announced 26 new international routes, including nonstop service between the United States and Prague; Cape Town, South Africa; Tahiti, French Polynesia; Naples, Italy; Porto, Portugal; and Reykjavik, Iceland. United offers the most international destinations from New York City of any U.S. airline.

Offering more international service from Chicago than any U.S. carrier
United will begin daily nonstop year-round service between Chicago O'Hare and Zurich on March 28, 2020. Offering the most flights of any U.S. airline to Switzerland, United will operate service between Chicago and Zurich with its premium 46 Polaris business class Boeing 767-300ER aircraft. From Chicago, United Airlines operates to more year-round international destinations in Europe, Asia and South America than any airline. Zurich is its seventh year-round European destination from Chicago. The new service will complement existing flights from New York/Newark, San Francisco, and Washington.

Offering customers more options to get to Amsterdam and Frankfurt
In addition to United's brand-new and extended routes from its New York/Newark gateway, United announced the addition of a second daily flight between New York/Newark and Amsterdam and Frankfurt, Germany. The additional flights, beginning March 28, 2020, will enable more customers from across the United States to easily connect to Amsterdam and Frankfurt. United, the U.S. carrier with the most flights to Germany, will operate its second daily year-round Frankfurt service with its premium Boeing 767-300ER aircraft with 46 United Polaris business class seats. The airline will operate its second daily seasonal flight to Amsterdam with Boeing 767-300ER aircraft featuring 30 United Polaris business class seats. United currently offers nonstop service from five U.S. cities to Amsterdam, including Chicago, Houston, New York/Newark, Washington and San Francisco.

Increasing service to London and New Delhi
Subject to government approval, United will expand service between Denver and London to year-round, beginning Nov. 1, 2019, with Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner aircraft. United is the only carrier offering customers both nonstop trans-Atlantic and trans-Pacific flights from Denver. In addition to London, United offers nonstop year-round service to Frankfurt, Germany, and Tokyo/Narita.

Originally announced as seasonal service between San Francisco and New Delhi, United is expanding the route to year-round service. United will provide business and leisure travelers nonstop access to India from the U.S. West and East Coasts. United will operate its first nonstop service from the U.S. West Coast to India with a Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft beginning Dec. 5, 2019.

Planning a European summer getaway has never been easier
United announced it is extending its seasonal services between New York/Newark and Athens, Greece; Naples, Italy; and Porto, Portugal, and between Washington and Barcelona, Spain. United will resume service one month earlier between New York/Newark and Porto, Portugal, on March 28, 2020, and will resume service between New York/Newark and Athens and Naples, and between Washington and Barcelona two weeks earlier, on May 8, 2020.
Print Wikipost

New UA 2020 intl summer routes; Nice (NCE), Palermo (PMO), Curacao (CUR) & more TATL

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2019, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by trvlr70
But who wouldn't want to take Swiss instead?
Good question. LX has better service and food, but UA's updated Polaris hard product is superior (even compared to LX's throne seats). So, which is more important to you? Ideally, I'd take UA to ZRH and LX on the return (assuming it was a 773).
east_west likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
Good question. LX has better service and food, but UA's updated Polaris hard product is superior (even compared to LX's throne seats). So, which is more important to you? Ideally, I'd take UA to ZRH and LX on the return (assuming it was a 773).
Again - the experience in Y on LX v. UA was dreadful. I would take Y on a 767 of any variety on UA v. the A330 experience on LX any day.

J might be a different story, but if you are in new Polaris seating on a 763, it will be better than LX as well.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 5:41 pm

Even the soft product on LX / LH are overrated. OS is better. 763 Polaris is a better TATL experience for those that want to sleep, hands-down.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG/Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mecabq
Most members of the Sicilian Diaspora I know have no desire to return, though Sicily in general has a lot to offer in my opinion.
I'd guess many people with family in Sicily would welcome and take advantage of this flight in addition to the growing tourist traffic to Sicily (a great destination). I'm excited about this one - our summer vacation is usually a week in and around Nice and a week in Southern Italy so with this announcement plus Naples already added United has given us some great non-stop options.

I'm a little surprised Nice took so long.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by tods27
The DEN-LHR flight departs DEN at 16:35 (arr LHR at 8:25), and the return departs LHR at 10:00 (arr DEN at 12:15) this winter. I'm pretty sure those are the same times that they used for the seasonal flight in the past. This announcement is just that the flight will now continue year-round. It should be a good option if you are connecting from/to SAN.
Where are they getting the extra slot pair, or are they dropping some other frequency?
Old Aug 22, 2019, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Where are they getting the extra slot pair, or are they dropping some other frequency?
Is it addressed upstream? - I though I saw EWR-LHR seasonal slot traded in for DEN-LHR seasonal becoming year-round... UA has 5x EWR-LHR - more than needed if you don’t fly 752s...
Old Aug 22, 2019, 6:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Platium. Hyatt Globlist. United Member. WN A-list w/CP. Frontier Elite 100K.
Den to lhr goes to year around

Denver to London goes from Seasonal to year around

https://denver.cbslocal.com/2019/08/...round-flights/
Old Aug 22, 2019, 6:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by MileHighColorado
Denver to London goes from Seasonal to year around

https://denver.cbslocal.com/2019/08/...round-flights/
All the announced routes are discussed in the below thread. So much for that SFO-BKK we were all hoping for

Old Aug 22, 2019, 6:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by JHake10
So much for that SFO-BKK we were all hoping for
All?
Old Aug 22, 2019, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
All?
Would biz/leisure pax load be any higher than 10%/90%? I suspect that’s why UA hasn’t pursued.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
I know we rag on United, but their food is better than LX in my experience.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 7:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
All?
Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B

Would biz/leisure pax load be any higher than 10%/90%? I suspect that’s why UA hasn’t pursued.
SFO-BKK has been a joke on this forum for some time (2013 post on a wish list thread). Yes, the business demand isn't there to make it work most likely.

EWR764 likes this.

Last edited by JHake10; Aug 22, 2019 at 7:27 pm
Old Aug 22, 2019, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by cesco.g
ORD-ZRH on the 763 high J!
Would this possibly lead to LX cutting back either 6/7 or 8/9?

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I know we rag on United, but their food is better than LX in my experience.
Your experience is likely the exception, not the rule. Not by a long shot.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mauld
UA prices are much higher, from $1500 -$5000 coach, to $9000 ++ business. But perhaps they haven’t loaded in all fare ranges yet?
It would be very unusual for UA to offer deep discount fares on flights the day the they're announced. That's just not how they operate. I think I've seen it once, when they accidentally opened every fare class (including upgrades); it was quickly corrected.

Originally Posted by cesco.g
Will be interesting to watch LX's reaction, with UA stepping in.
Maybe it is related to LX starting up ZRH-IAD.....
Originally Posted by onthesam
Would this possibly lead to LX cutting back either 6/7 or 8/9?
LX and UA are part of the same joint venture. LX isn't going to have some big competitive reaction to this flight. If they move a flight, it will be because that was part of the overall plan.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Gold
That's a great positive considering the doubt of the success of even the seasonal route. Also I hope it makes the possibility for award flights more real as this fits right into the wheelhouse of a family trip to Europe. Having more options to Europe from DEN besides LH has been a positive development over the last 18 months. Now to get the next Asia option. But honestly I can't think of one that works.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.