Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New UA 2020 intl summer routes; Nice (NCE), Palermo (PMO), Curacao (CUR) & more TATL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 22, 2019, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United Airlines Announces 12 New and Expanded International Destinations from Chicago, Denver, New York/Newark and San Francisco

New 2020 international summer services to Nice, France; Palermo, Italy; and Curacao
United now offers customers more than 270 international routes to 57 countries

CHICAGO, Aug. 22, 2019
United Airlines today unveiled an expanded international schedule from its hubs in Chicago, Denver, New York/Newark and San Francisco. United's announcement includes brand-new service to Nice, France; Palermo, Italy; and Curacao. The airline also announced customers will have more options when planning travel to Europe with additional flights to Amsterdam; London; Frankfurt, Germany; and Zurich and will resume its seasonal summer service earlier to popular destinations including Athens, Greece; Naples, Italy; Porto, Portugal; and Barcelona, Spain.

"United's global network is a tremendous source of pride for our employees and loyal customers – we're always looking for ways to grow and expand our network to connect our customers to more destinations around the world," said United's International Network Vice President Patrick Quayle. "These new additions help position United as the airline of choice for customers planning their business or leisure travel."

New seasonal service between New York/Newark and Curacao, Nice and Palermo
Just in time to escape the winter weather, United is adding Curacao to its Caribbean route network and enabling customers access to all of the ABC islands, including Aruba and Bonaire. Curacao, United's 21st island destination in the Caribbean, will operate on Saturdays beginning Dec. 7, 2019, with Boeing 737-700 aircraft, subject to government approval.

United's unparalleled global route network provides customers with easy access between the United States and many of the world's top vacation destinations. Beginning May 2, 2020, United will offer customers daily nonstop service between New York/Newark and Nice, France – the gateway to the French Riviera. The airline will operate service to Nice with its premium Boeing 767-300ER aircraft featuring 46 United Polaris business class seats – offering the most premium seats between the United States and southern France of any U.S. airline.

In addition, beginning May 20, United will be the only airline offering nonstop daily service between the United States and Palermo, Italy, the capital city of Sicily and United's fifth Italian destination: the most of any U.S. airline. Service to Nice and Palermo is subject to government approval.

In the last two years, United has announced 26 new international routes, including nonstop service between the United States and Prague; Cape Town, South Africa; Tahiti, French Polynesia; Naples, Italy; Porto, Portugal; and Reykjavik, Iceland. United offers the most international destinations from New York City of any U.S. airline.

Offering more international service from Chicago than any U.S. carrier
United will begin daily nonstop year-round service between Chicago O'Hare and Zurich on March 28, 2020. Offering the most flights of any U.S. airline to Switzerland, United will operate service between Chicago and Zurich with its premium 46 Polaris business class Boeing 767-300ER aircraft. From Chicago, United Airlines operates to more year-round international destinations in Europe, Asia and South America than any airline. Zurich is its seventh year-round European destination from Chicago. The new service will complement existing flights from New York/Newark, San Francisco, and Washington.

Offering customers more options to get to Amsterdam and Frankfurt
In addition to United's brand-new and extended routes from its New York/Newark gateway, United announced the addition of a second daily flight between New York/Newark and Amsterdam and Frankfurt, Germany. The additional flights, beginning March 28, 2020, will enable more customers from across the United States to easily connect to Amsterdam and Frankfurt. United, the U.S. carrier with the most flights to Germany, will operate its second daily year-round Frankfurt service with its premium Boeing 767-300ER aircraft with 46 United Polaris business class seats. The airline will operate its second daily seasonal flight to Amsterdam with Boeing 767-300ER aircraft featuring 30 United Polaris business class seats. United currently offers nonstop service from five U.S. cities to Amsterdam, including Chicago, Houston, New York/Newark, Washington and San Francisco.

Increasing service to London and New Delhi
Subject to government approval, United will expand service between Denver and London to year-round, beginning Nov. 1, 2019, with Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner aircraft. United is the only carrier offering customers both nonstop trans-Atlantic and trans-Pacific flights from Denver. In addition to London, United offers nonstop year-round service to Frankfurt, Germany, and Tokyo/Narita.

Originally announced as seasonal service between San Francisco and New Delhi, United is expanding the route to year-round service. United will provide business and leisure travelers nonstop access to India from the U.S. West and East Coasts. United will operate its first nonstop service from the U.S. West Coast to India with a Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft beginning Dec. 5, 2019.

Planning a European summer getaway has never been easier
United announced it is extending its seasonal services between New York/Newark and Athens, Greece; Naples, Italy; and Porto, Portugal, and between Washington and Barcelona, Spain. United will resume service one month earlier between New York/Newark and Porto, Portugal, on March 28, 2020, and will resume service between New York/Newark and Athens and Naples, and between Washington and Barcelona two weeks earlier, on May 8, 2020.
Print Wikipost

New UA 2020 intl summer routes; Nice (NCE), Palermo (PMO), Curacao (CUR) & more TATL

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2019, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
New starting in May, 2019?!
Oy.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by EWR764
For a little while (2012-2013 or so) UA had a 2nd EWR-FRA on a 757 (!) which, IIRC, was an early rotation, with a ~4:45pm departure eastbound and a 10am return. This time, I would really love to see a 10pm eastbound and 5pm westbound.

edit...

Do you have the westbound departure time? As of now, EWR has 11:20 (UA) and 1:20 (LH); JFK has 11:00 and 5:10 (both LH). Assuming the 9:50pm arrives around noon, and the ~1pm bank is covered by LH402 FRA-EWR, fingers crossed it's a 5pm.
Return is at 5:30p
Old Aug 22, 2019, 10:33 am

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by mecabq
Palermo seems really surprising. It's far from the typical summer hotspots eastword; better off connecting in Europe to Catania, I would think.
Is this route for those of us with Mob roots? Why Palermo?
Old Aug 22, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by MostlyUA
Is this route for those of us with Mob roots? Why Palermo?
It's a pretty dumpy city. Most members of the Sicilian Diaspora I know have no desire to return, though Sicily in general has a lot to offer in my opinion.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
From SFO - yawn. Nothing to see here.
SFO_LOW_CLOUDS likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28

Return is at 5:30p
What's the reason it sits on the ground at Frankfurt for so long? For business travelers hoping to get most of a full day in?
Old Aug 22, 2019, 11:06 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by villox
What's the reason it sits on the ground at Frankfurt for so long? For business travelers hoping to get most of a full day in?
Yes and to capture the afternoon connecting traffic. It's no different than the 2nd FRA-IAD flight which sits on the ground for around 5h.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 11:06 am

Programs: UA 1K and MM
Just was on a 2-1/2 week holiday in Sicily and the Aeolian Islands, and while it has been a hot spot for European, especially German tourists, it is now up and coming for American tourists. I think United must be looking at trends here. It was a fantastic trip, and we used UA/LH connecting in Frankfurt and a very large proportion of the flights out and back to Frankfurt had UA connecting passengers. We actually flew into Catania and spent all our time on the eastern side of the Island, which is more convenient to the bulk of the tourist attractions, including Mt. Aetna, Taormina, Siracusa, and the Aeolian Islands. We really didn’t have any desire to see Palermo. So it is interesting that they chose Palermo over Catania as their route, but perhaps there is more business traffic to that city, since it is the government center for the island??? I think Catania would have been a more convenient choice for leisure travelers, but Palermo would likely have better infrastructure than Catania for tourists (like local airport hotels, modern transit hotels close to the airport, a modern rental car counter area, all of which Catania lacks in spades).
RUAMKZ likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I am actually flying to Porto next May (2020) and was very excited to see UA has a flight however I will NOT be taking the UA flight as it is going through EWR. I do everything to avoid EWR as my flights in and out of EWR are always delayed so avoid EWR whenever possible. So many of these flights are through EWR. ☹

Am pleased to see the additional LHR flight is through DEN but without a Polaris lounge not as attractive as SFO/LAX for the outbound but the return will be good through DEN (for me) if it is an early morning departure from LHR as I need to connect to SAN.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I wish they also introduced IAH-CUR, maybe make it seasonal Sundays. Those west of the Appalachians and south of the Mason-Dixon line don't want to connect through EWR.

Crazy fact: the western-most airport you can fly to CUR from in North America is ... CLT.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 11:24 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
...Those west of the Appalachians and south of the Mason-Dixon line don't want to connect through EWR ...
⬆️⬆️⬆️

Those of us with choices - never EWR.

I forsee many EWR-AAA specials like the recent EWR-LHR promotion. Which is great if EWR is your hub.
chavala likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 11:26 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by 94010flyer
Just was on a 2-1/2 week holiday in Sicily and the Aeolian Islands, and while it has been a hot spot for European, especially German tourists, it is now up and coming for American tourists. I think United must be looking at trends here. It was a fantastic trip, and we used UA/LH connecting in Frankfurt and a very large proportion of the flights out and back to Frankfurt had UA connecting passengers.

Bingo. United can see exactly how many connecting pax are flying JV metal over European hubs to PMO, and if trends compare to other destinations that have, in recent years, been successful seasonal adds (PRG, NAP, OPO, etc.) then it makes sense to add a nonstop. I'm glad this is continuing.
seanp7 likes this.

Last edited by EWR764; Aug 22, 2019 at 11:35 am
Old Aug 22, 2019, 11:37 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I am actually flying to Porto next May (2020) and was very excited to see UA has a flight however I will NOT be taking the UA flight as it is going through EWR. I do everything to avoid EWR as my flights in and out of EWR are always delayed so avoid EWR whenever possible. So many of these flights are through EWR. ☹
Well you're in SAN, and SAN to some of these places like OPO/NCE/MAN/SNN/etc can only be served by UA from EWR to be viable routes. It's not good for people like you who don't like EWR but UA gets to capitalize on NYC/NJ originating traffic and feeder traffic. In many cases, I'm just glad the UA option exists (even thought I don't like EWR too much either).
SkiPremier likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by cesco.g
ORD-ZRH on the 763 high J!
This surprised me, the mother ship throwing a bone to ORD.
RUAMKZ and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
SFO only got extension of DEL to be year-round. Very excited to see Sicily on there! I like it. ORD-ZRH will be on high-J 763 as well. Thinking maybe all ZRH flights get the high-J 763 (IAD and EWR as well).

NCE on high-J 763 - must be aimed at the Monte Carlo crowd?
More like the Cannes Film Festival crowd.. I'm just happy they are doing EWR-NCE non stop, makes me rethink my LaCompangie flight next month

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.