FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Warning to plastic bottled water drinkers at SFO, no longer offered for sale 20Aug'19 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1983680-warning-plastic-bottled-water-drinkers-sfo-no-longer-offered-sale-20aug19.html)

TallTexan Aug 19, 2019 6:33 pm

Warning to plastic bottled water drinkers at SFO, no longer offered for sale 20Aug'19

https://www.wsj.com/articles/what-wi...xt-11566158511

Starting Tuesday, the sale of plastic water bottles will be banned at San Francisco International Airport

narvik Aug 19, 2019 6:41 pm

" Starting Tuesday, the sale of plastic water bottles will be banned at San Francisco International Airport, one of the few places they actually make sense. California has many dumb laws and statutes and bans, but this one is especially brainless—spurred by futile self-righteousness. "

pseudoswede Aug 19, 2019 6:47 pm

We travel with foldable, roll-up water bottles.

mahasamatman Aug 19, 2019 6:52 pm

This is a great move and long overdue. Every airport should follow suit.

I can't tell if the "article" is tongue-in-cheek, or if the author actually believes what he's written.

WineCountryUA Aug 19, 2019 7:28 pm

For those that want to discuss what led to this ban (a city ordinance against plastic water bottles sales on city-own property), please see
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-francisco/1981309-sfo-bans-sale-single-use-plastic-water-bottles.html

Let's not get OMNI here either

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

TallTexan Aug 19, 2019 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 31434262)
For those that want to discuss what led to this ban (a city ordinance against plastic water bottles sales on city-own property), please see
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-francisco/1981309-sfo-bans-sale-single-use-plastic-water-bottles.html
WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Thanks. I’m surprised I missed the post containing the article you referenced.

JHake10 Aug 19, 2019 7:41 pm

What I don't understand is this is water bottles only. So anything else including flavored water is allowed to be sold. Seems like consumers may just buy different options which may be unhealthy. I'm hoping the vendors sell some type of water in another bottle. I don't like to rely on the FAs to keep me hydrated. I also don't want to travel with a container for water.

mahasamatman Aug 19, 2019 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by JHake10 (Post 31434286)
I'm hoping the vendors sell some type of water in another bottle.

There are companies selling water in paper cartons similar to milk cartons (though still single-use), and in glass.

I also don't want to travel with a container for water.

This is still the best option. Paying $3 or more for something that it given away for free is a good definition of insanity.

JHake10 Aug 19, 2019 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 31434322)
There are companies selling water in paper cartons similar to milk cartons (though still single-use), and in glass.

This is still the best option. Paying $3 or more for something that it given away for free is a good definition of insanity.

I agree airport pricing is crazy. I like the idea of water fountains. However, this requires the airports to keep them clean and properly serviced. I don't really trust airport authorities to do so. Just seems odd I can still buy a diet coke or hint water. You'd think they just ban all plastic.

Repooc17 Aug 19, 2019 8:08 pm

UA related: what about lounges? Will UA no longer stock water bottles at its SFO facilities?

theshaun Aug 19, 2019 8:15 pm

I have no problem refilling a reusable bottle, but airports need to make sure there are plenty of refill stations available and that the water is actually palatable. I tried this in PHX recently and nearly puked when I took a drink of the water. It was so nasty, I gladly purchased an expensive water.

WineCountryUA Aug 19, 2019 8:37 pm

There a number of user-supplied bottle refill stations at SFO. Such as by the food court area of concourse F and in concourse E Gate 68
https://www.flysfo.com/content/hydra...ons-terminal-3
with Hetch Hetchy / Sierra water

Enter Hydration Stations on https://www.flysfo.com/maps
or
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...3e83e1f14b.png

GeezerCouple Aug 19, 2019 8:42 pm

Do they sell sparkling water in glass bottles (e.g., San Pellegrino)?

Thanks.

GC

freeagent Aug 19, 2019 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by GeezerCouple (Post 31434418)
Do they sell sparkling water in glass bottles (e.g., San Pellegrino)?

Thanks.

GC

Yes, only plastic water bottles are not allowed.

Jaimito Cartero Aug 19, 2019 8:48 pm

Selling glass bottles at the airport. I can’t think of any bad things happening.

GeezerCouple Aug 19, 2019 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero (Post 31434426)
Selling glass bottles at the airport. I can’t think of any bad things happening.

Good point.
I hadn't thought about that.

Let me rephrase: Do they sell sparkling water (in plastic, apparently, if at all?)?
They do sell other beverages, such as Diet Coke, in plastic? Or is it going to only cans (which, er, spill very easily, vs. bottles with caps)?

Gc

freeagent Aug 19, 2019 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by GeezerCouple (Post 31434456)
Good point.
I hadn't thought about that.

Let me rephrase: Do they sell sparkling water (in plastic, apparently, if at all?)?
They do sell other beverages, such as Diet Coke, in plastic? Or is it going to only cans (which, er, spill very easily, vs. bottles with caps)?

Gc

No, sparkling water in a plastic bottle is not allowed to be sold.

Per ordinance:

"Effective August 20, water to be sold in recyclable aluminum, glass or BPI-certified compostable bottles. The policy applies to purified water, mineral water, carbonated or sparkling water, and electrolyte-enhanced water, but does not include flavored beverages such as sodas, teas, or juices."

Repooc17 Aug 19, 2019 9:08 pm

On the subject of sparking water/club soda/seltzer, FAs of multiple carriers, including UA, protect them like they are non-rev upgrades. Every time I ask for the remaining portion of the can on board, it's like I am asking for a glass of cognac. Also, no ice =/= add ice into my drink.

aussieinsf Aug 19, 2019 11:42 pm

Very supportive of this. Was on a delayed flight tonight (the last day before this becomes effective) and UAL staff offered snacks and bottled water. The United agent begged me to take as many as possible as she said they cannot offer water starting tomorrow and have many in stock. (I don't drink bottled water so didn't take them). I guess this ban extends to airline provided water in the terminal as well.

I hope SFO expands the filling stations for water bottles beyond the few stations now. I think it is very ineffective when something beneficial like this happens and the majority of the impact is to take something away rather than expanding the offering of a positive alternative.

returnoftheyeti Aug 20, 2019 7:30 am

They are selling aluminum reusable bottles of water now in place of plastic. Which I would guess 90% of them will end up in the trash.

Actually a prime business opportunity for someone; sell aluminum bottles with SFO and the Golden Gate Bridge on it, mark it up even more, and sell it as a souvenir.

I also saw cans of LaCroix and glass bottles of mineral water.

jp12687 Aug 20, 2019 7:54 am

Before I board a tpac or even transcon flight I buy between 2-4 water bottles. Staying properly hydrated on a flight is very important. It is too easy to get dehydrated.

im not going to travel with 4 big water bottles they take up too much space.

i am all about being green. But airplanes is the one place it makes sense to use single use.

Palal Aug 20, 2019 8:04 am

Originally Posted by jp12687 (Post 31435741)
Before I board a tpac or even transcon flight I buy between 2-4 water bottles. Staying properly hydrated on a flight is very important. It is too easy to get dehydrated.

i am all about being green. But airplanes is the one place it makes sense to use single use.

Just get a few of .

malgudi Aug 20, 2019 8:41 am

How is this UA related???

cfischer Aug 20, 2019 9:04 am

Originally Posted by malgudi (Post 31435916)

it is not! Unless UA stops supplying water bottles on p.s. flights out of SFO ... then it becomes relevant

chavala Aug 20, 2019 9:20 am

Did you ever consider bringing just one water bottle and refilling it?

Repooc17 Aug 20, 2019 10:49 am

Originally Posted by malgudi (Post 31435916)

Originally Posted by Repooc17 (Post 31434348)
UA related: what about lounges? Will UA no longer stock water bottles at its SFO facilities?

pseudoswede Aug 20, 2019 11:11 am

Originally Posted by Palal (Post 31435780)
Just get a few of these.

Vapur travel bottles fold up to even smaller sizes, plus they have a built-in carabiner clip.

AirbusFan2B Aug 20, 2019 11:18 am

Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti (Post 31435669)
They are selling aluminum reusable bottles of water now in place of plastic. Which I would guess 90% of them will end up in the trash.

Actually a prime business opportunity for someone; sell aluminum bottles with SFO and the Golden Gate Bridge on it, mark it up even more, and sell it as a souvenir.

I also saw cans of LaCroix and glass bottles of mineral water.

SFO Airport sorts trash offsite per signage I’ve seen on terminal receptacles.

Originally Posted by Repooc17 (Post 31434348)

I guarantee that’s correct assumption. For a long while, no to-go cups for coffee either.

drewguy Aug 20, 2019 11:32 am

Originally Posted by chavala (Post 31436083)

Refilling a bottle in flight isn't particularly easy. (But, yeah, one big reusable >> 4 tossable)

Plus, in the EcoSkies of United, I've gotten rude looks from FAs when I ask them to pour water from their big jug into my reusable bottle rather than yet another blue plastic cup. Must rub them the wrong way like asking for the rest of the can of soda.

deskover54 Aug 20, 2019 11:43 am

Just ask UA for an empty plastic bottle in flight. then when you land at SFO fill it at a station.

Lux Flyer Aug 20, 2019 11:57 am

Originally Posted by freeagent (Post 31434464)
No, sparkling water in a plastic bottle is not allowed to be sold.

Per ordinance:

Guess we'll see a lot of "flavorless" juices being sold :p [your ordiancec quote disappeared, but it said juices are exempt]

Originally Posted by chavala (Post 31436083)

I take the their point as hydrating in flight using the 3-4 bottles which refilling a single reusable bottle 3 times mid-flight isn't most practical, unless you're a fan of non-potable bathroom sink water?

TXJeepGuy Aug 20, 2019 1:22 pm

Its not like there weren't beverages served in glass prior to this- beer, Snapple, water at the restaurants, etc.

rickg523 Aug 20, 2019 1:30 pm

Haven't been since the new rules. So I can buy a plastic bottle of Black Cherry Soda but I can't buy a plastic bottle Black Cherry flavored carbonated water?

notquiteaff Aug 20, 2019 1:34 pm

seems to work fine for wine and liquor.

chavala Aug 20, 2019 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff (Post 31437133)

seems to work fine for wine and liquor.

Most people aren’t carrying that around the terminals in the side pocket of their backpacks.

Redhead Aug 20, 2019 2:54 pm

I also don't want to travel with a container for water.

Why? It is an easy way to help the environment and not hard to do. I travel everywhere local and abroad with my own water bottle. Saves money and the environment

mr8 Aug 20, 2019 2:56 pm

Is this going to affect the free bottles at the Polaris?

UA_Flyer Aug 20, 2019 3:18 pm

So I guess this means passengers are not getting the Dasani water bottles on PS and international flights leaving SFO, correct?

Also, does this impact how UA transport water on flights leaving SFO? Are they still allowed to use large plastic bottles of water to serve passengers during flights?

Btw,I travel with a drinking water bottle and refill it at water stations around the world. I have not got sick yet and I travel about 400K BIS a year for the past ten years. There are so many organizations giving out free drinking bottles for free. Please take advantage of these nice gestures.

N1120A Aug 20, 2019 3:34 pm

I always carry a bottle to fill when I travel, and that is just a practical solution. I have no issue with this. Plastic doesn't get recycled as much as it should, even when placed in the proper bin, while glass and aluminum have much higher rates of reuse (especially aluminum - it is nearly 100% recycled).

Originally Posted by narvik (Post 31434166)
" Starting Tuesday, the sale of plastic water bottles will be banned at San Francisco International Airport, one of the few places they actually make sense. California has many dumb laws and statutes and bans, but this one is especially brainless—spurred by futile self-righteousness. "

Hey, you can always give us our money back.

Originally Posted by JHake10 (Post 31434341)
I agree airport pricing is crazy. I like the idea of water fountains. However, this requires the airports to keep them clean and properly serviced. I don't really trust airport authorities to do so. Just seems odd I can still buy a diet coke or hint water. You'd think they just ban all plastic.

The problem is that soda bottling has moved so heavily to PET that it would be unreliable to deliver a replacement. Water can be replaced with hydration stations and glass bottles much more easily.

As for keeping water fountains clean and properly serviced, the standards for tap water are much more stringent than bottled and airports are going to be very vigilant about that.

You mean like the glass bottles they've been selling since before PET bottles existed?

Why does it make sense to use single use? Why not travel with one bigger bottle instead of buying 2-4 smaller bottles?

Originally Posted by TXJeepGuy (Post 31437082)
Its not like there weren't beverages served in glass prior to this- beer, Snapple, water at the restaurants, etc.

Don't let reality get in the way of a narrative.

Sykes Aug 20, 2019 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer (Post 31437485)
Also, does this impact how UA transport water on flights leaving SFO? Are they still allowed to use large plastic bottles of water to serve passengers during flights

Water bottles that are 1L or larger are allowed anyway.