Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

SFO bans sale of single use plastic water bottles

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 20, 19, 2:18 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: returnoftheyeti
Wiki Link
All Information Sourced from the SFO Website.
https://www.flysfo.com/environment/plastic-free

Here is a list of approved water:
https://www.flysfo.com/approved-bottled-water-list

What’s happening?

Effective August 20, 2019, SFO will prohibit the provision or sale of single-use water bottles in plastic or aseptic paper packaging.
What’s happening?

What does this policy cover?

This policy covers drinking water in a sealed box, bag, can, bottle or other container intended mainly for single-service use and having a capacity of 1 liter or less. These items may not be provided or sold in airport concessions, vending machines, or lounges. This policy only applies to unflavored water, including purified water, mineral water, unflavored carbonated or sparkling water, and unflavored electrolyte-enhanced water.

What is excluded from this policy?

This policy does not apply to flavored beverages, including sodas, teas, and juices. This policy does not apply to beverages served onboard aircraft.

Why is this being done.

This policy supports SFO’s goal to achieve zero waste going to landfill by 2021. Passenger activity at SFO generates approximately 28 million pounds of waste annually, and SFO is committed to ensuring this waste does not end up in landfill. Worldwide, less than 25% of plastic bottles get recycled, and the market for the recycling of plastic bottles continues to shrink. It’s estimated that a single plastic bottle takes anywhere from 450 – 1,000 years to biodegrade.

When Did SFO decide to ban plastic water bottles?

In 2016, SFO established a goal to achieve zero waste going to landfill by 2021. Since then, SFO has been working with concessions and tenants on policies to achieve this goal, including a requirement to provide single-use food ware in compostable packaging. Prohibiting the sale of bottled water in plastic packaging was implemented at this time because the market for acceptable alternatives to plastic bottles has matured sufficiently to provide retailers with a variety of choices for sale.

Will I still be able to purchase any water at SFO?

Yes. Effective August 20, 2019, single use bottled water will be available for sale in either recyclable aluminum, recyclable glass, or compostable packaging. SFO has provided Airport concessions and tenants with a list of approved bottled water. In addition, customers can bring or purchase a re-useable beverage container, which can be filled at any of SFO’s approximately 100 hydration stations, located in every terminal. Remember that TSA regulations still limit the carry-on of liquids to less than 3 ounces.
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 2, 19, 11:11 am
Original Poster

https://www.sfchronicle.com/travel/a...php?psid=fJQrv

In an unprecedented move for a major American airport, SFO is banning the sale of single-use plastic water bottles. The new rule — which exempts flavored water — will apply to restaurants, cafes and vending machines in the airport.
Old Aug 2, 19, 11:17 am

Good move and lead by #SFO .
Plenty of water fountains and bottle bottle filling stations around the airport.
Old Aug 2, 19, 1:52 pm

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — San Francisco International Airport is banning the sale of single-use plastic water bottles.

The San Francisco Chronicle reports Friday that the unprecedented move at one of the major airports in the country will take effect Aug. 20.

The new rule will apply to airport restaurants, cafes and vending machines.Travelers needing plain water will have to buy refillable aluminum or glass bottles if they don't bring their own.

As a department of San Francisco's municipal government, the airport is following an ordinance approved in 2014 banning the sale of plastic water bottles on city-owned property.

SFO spokesman Doug Yakel says the shift away from plastics is also part of a broader plan to slash net carbon emissions and energy use to zero and eliminate most landfill waste by 2021.

___

Thankfully we can purchase single use soda and Gatorade bottles.

freeagent likes this.
Old Aug 2, 19, 5:05 pm
ryw

Programs: WN A, DL FO, Marriott Plat
Fine with me for regular water, given the amount of bottle refilling stations they've added in recent years. I suspect that stores/cafes would make decent money selling reusable water bottles at SFO now.
Old Aug 2, 19, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Originally Posted by ryw View Post
I suspect that stores/cafes would make decent money selling reusable water bottles at SFO now.
Far cheaper to simply buy a bottle of Coke, empty it, and fill it with water...

It'll be interesting to see if this increases the sale of sugar-based sodas instead of water. Or to see how things like "Vitamin Water" are treated (are they "water"?)
Old Aug 2, 19, 8:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I tend to re-use/refill plastic water bottles, although it's annoying that sometimes a TSA employee throws out my empty bottle at airport security.

Can I still buy bottled water airside at SFO if I promise to reuse the bottle? <joke, but I'm also trying to point out that single use isn't well defined unless the bottle literally disintegrates when it's emptied>
Old Aug 2, 19, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, National Executive Elite
The flavored exemption makes no sense.

Also, due to its outrageous price, bottled water in the airport is only something I buy in a dire case. Throat pain, etc. Thank you to the environmentalists for not thinking of me. (This is sarcasm by the way.)
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 2, 19, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA,UA,AS
I think it's a little short sighted that they only outlaw plastic water bottles and not all plastic beverage bottles. I'm surprised there aren't more options for biodegradable plastic bottles yet, like there are biodegradable cups.
Old Aug 2, 19, 9:59 pm
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
I have lots of thoughts but here is how I would roll out something like this.

(1) Start this at one terminal as a test, ideally not the international terminal (where people are getting on the 12+ hour flights).
(2) Install massively more water fountains. They shouldn’t just be near the restrooms.
(3) Sell bottles that are ready to fill (not requiring a pre-wash) at the airport.
(4) Do not allow *any beverage* to be sold in plastic bottles. Why do sodas get an exemption?

People (and kids) who would otherwise drink water will now be drinking sugary stuff as a result of this policy. Because what this policy really is, is that you can’t have a plastic bottle unless you buy something with sugar in it.
MDtR-Chicago and davie355 like this.
Old Aug 2, 19, 11:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Originally Posted by Xlr View Post
(2) Install massively more water fountains. They shouldn’t just be near the restrooms.
To their credit, they have already done this - or at least in T3 they have, I can't really speak for other terminals. There are fountains, and in particular water bottle filling stations spread through the terminal. The linked article claims they have more than 100 of them through the airport (although it also claims they are "wall-mounted" when the majority of the ones I've seen in T3 aren't)
Old Aug 3, 19, 9:27 am

Why do sodas get an exemption? Well, because we tax them. ��

I really wonder if things like Perrier and Pellegrino will be allowed?
And of course there is Boxed Water as well.
Old Aug 3, 19, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by docbert View Post
To their credit, they have already done this - or at least in T3 they have, I can't really speak for other terminals. There are fountains, and in particular water bottle filling stations spread through the terminal. The linked article claims they have more than 100 of them through the airport (although it also claims they are "wall-mounted" when the majority of the ones I've seen in T3 aren't)
Like it or not, this is going to be the "way of the world" as time goes by. An increasing number of restaurants in these parts don't have bottled water for sale (and have installed filtration systems for still and fizzy water, "on the house").
Old Aug 3, 19, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti View Post
I really wonder if things like Perrier and Pellegrino will be allowed?
Not only are they allowed, they are (apparently) part of the "solution".

Glass bottles are fine, even if they have been imported from halfway across the planet. Plastic bottles are not, even if they were filled locally.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 3, 19, 10:38 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
From the perspective of someone in the UK this makes no sense at all. Most water bottles, the clear ones, are RIC code 1, PET in other words. In the UK 95% of PET is recycled because it has a floor price of around £120 per metric tonne. It is therefore good and profitable business to recycle PET, even to do it fairly locally, so PET definitely isn't being shipped off to Asia or Africa. We are near to what is termed a "closed loop" on PET, we won't need to make much PET from virgin material fairly soon, we can recycle what we already have. Frankly we should encouraging people to use PET more - not less - so long as it gets recycled properly.

On the other hand it's RIC codes 3 and 6 (you will find them in a triangle under many plastic items) which are seriously bad news, so PVC and polystyrene, along with multi-polymer items (RIC 7). These cannot yet be economically recycled and I bet SFO is selling any amount of yogurt, bags of nuts, salad tubs with these items, which are wholly avoidable and doing unnecessary damage under our stewardship of the planet.
Old Aug 3, 19, 10:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Let's not forget that if we're going to ship that Perrier etc. halfway around the world, it uses a lot less fuel to do so using lighter weight plastic bottles rather than the heavy glass ones.
Boraxo and nancypants like this.

Search this Thread