FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Warning to plastic bottled water drinkers at SFO, no longer offered for sale 20Aug'19 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1983680-warning-plastic-bottled-water-drinkers-sfo-no-longer-offered-sale-20aug19.html)

GoSh4rks Aug 21, 2019 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by uastarflyer (Post 31441501)
I do hope UA will still be able to board the individual Dasani bottles provided to all passengers on INTL flights. Even if they have to be flown in from PDX or whatever.

Got one yesterday.

uastarflyer Aug 22, 2019 12:05 am

Originally Posted by GoSh4rks (Post 31442343)
Got one yesterday.

Good to know. Perhaps in flight catering is exempt from the airport rules.

DELee Aug 23, 2019 10:53 am

Originally Posted by uastarflyer (Post 31442719)
Good to know. Perhaps in flight catering is exempt from the airport rules.

From the web page: https://www.flysfo.com/environment/plastic-free

David

Xyzzy Aug 23, 2019 11:46 am

Originally Posted by Silver Fox (Post 31442132)
They should also ban UA from handing out that disgusting Rombauer water that tastes as though it is out of the toilet bowl. Not that I have ever stuck my head in the toilet bowl and tried but the cat has and I am sure he would have said the same. If he was still alive. :). I seem to always manage to fall asleep and wake up with it stuck by the side of me.

Oh dear is that stuff bad. And the bottle is s:eek: tiny. Such amazing waste.

uastarflyer Aug 23, 2019 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy (Post 31448457)
Oh dear is that stuff bad. And the bottle is s:eek: tiny. Such amazing waste.

I am confused. Googles only shows Rombauer as a wine.

Xyzzy Aug 23, 2019 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by uastarflyer (Post 31448563)

Perhaps that's n:ot the name. It definitely starts with an "R" ... my guess is that it's Romberg.

Silver Fox Aug 23, 2019 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by uastarflyer (Post 31448563)

Yes, I might well have the spelling wrong, and my Google is weak today, but it only seems to be served from LHR (possibly other EU airports too) TATL, and certainly LHR-SFO. It's vile imho.

ETA: It is Rosbacher.

mr8 Aug 23, 2019 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by Silver Fox (Post 31450117)
Yes, I might well have the spelling wrong, and my Google is weak today, but it only seems to be served from LHR (possibly other EU airports too) TATL, and certainly LHR-SFO. It's vile imho.

ETA: It is Rosbacher.

I know what you mean. Local bottled water seems to be the norm on flights to the US, which can be hit or miss depending on the brand.
I'm guessing it would be environmentally un-friendly if they flew around extra case of water for the return flight..

I guess you could just buy a different brand of bottled water at the airport! Never-mind!

Silver Fox Aug 24, 2019 8:08 am

Originally Posted by mr8 (Post 31450416)
I know what you mean. Local bottled water seems to be the norm on flights to the US, which can be hit or miss depending on the brand.
I'm guessing it would be environmentally un-friendly if they flew around extra case of water for the return flight..

I guess you could just buy a different brand of bottled water at the airport! Never-mind!

The strange thing is I have never seen Rosbacher on sale in the UK.

kluau88 Aug 24, 2019 8:34 am

The funny thing is they tried to start this ban earlier (June 1, 2019), but there was a bit of a hiccup hence it got pushed to August 20, 2019.

As for UA, I am sure you guys have seen them roll out the snack and beverage carts at gate where flights are delayed. They are now using Pathwater instead of the Dasani.

Most of the vendor are now selling Pathwater or Voss in Glass (which is major heavy). As was quoted earlier, vendors can still sell water in plastic bottles as long as it is OVER 1 Liter and I have seen some vendors doing that.

The big loser with this ordinance is Coca Cola and Fiji as they had a huge presence with many vendors at SFO.

N1120A Aug 25, 2019 1:23 am

Originally Posted by greg99 (Post 31437666)
I'll be the contrarian here. I get the waste issue, but this punishes immunocompromised travelers who can't safely drink from water fountains.

The airport environment is unique in that passengers are not permitted by regulation to bring their own safe water from home. I've seen people do absolutely disgusting things with the water dispensers at SFO. It's not safe for certain people to drink from those sorts of dispensers, and they are solely dependent upon the availability of water that can be purchased at vendors.

This is particularly acute at SFO, where people may be traveling on flights that has them on board for well over 18 hours from gate to gate.

For people who have been at SFO since the ban, are large bottles of water still available? Are the aluminum bottles available at all vendors?

Then they shouldn't drink bottled water either, given that it is held to a lower standard than tap water.