Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

EWR-SNA - who regulary flies? upgrades? frequency? .....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EWR-SNA - who regulary flies? upgrades? frequency? .....

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2019, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by rj_flyer
...and then fly out of SNA to SFO then over to ORD which I can clear consistently.

Best,
- Well, that’s noteworthy - clearing SFO-ORD...
Old Aug 14, 2019, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
I would concur that it is probably an elite heavy route (or any UA flight in and out of SNA). Also, my experience is that a lot of people are willing to buy expensive tickets on this route. I've flown out where an entire family of four was seated in first class. They were not on the upgrade list. Orange County is a very wealthy area.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 7:41 pm

SNA has limited departure and arrival times.

My Sister lives not to far away in an elite area of Newport Beach. The limited hours that planes are allowed to fly into and out of SNA and the paths to avoid noise could be another reason for for fewer flights. They are voting now to extend the flight hours which has local residents in a rush to keep the hours as they are now.
The curfew prohibits departures from 10 p.m. to 7 a.m. every day except Sundays, when it runs from 10 p.m. to 8 a.m. Arrivals are prohibited between 11 p.m. and 7 a.m. Mondays-Saturdays and until 8 a.m. Sundays.

Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
I would concur that it is probably an elite heavy route (or any UA flight in and out of SNA). Also, my experience is that a lot of people are willing to buy expensive tickets on this route. I've flown out where an entire family of four was seated in first class. They were not on the upgrade list. Orange County is a very wealthy area.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Whoddathunkit...The only non-stop flight between two of the wealthiest areas in country is a tricky flight to upgrade on
Old Aug 14, 2019, 9:34 pm

I wonder if SNA EWR could sustain PS?
Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:02 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by deskover54
I think the 5701 foot runway is the bottle neck there. The runway at SNA is very short.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:16 pm

I have an office nearby. It is a far superior experience then going into LAX and having to commute down.

it is very elite heavy. Especially Monday/Friday. With RPUs as a GS I clear maybe 40% of the time.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
I think the 5701 foot runway is the bottle neck there. The runway at SNA is very short.
I feel like I've flown a 757 into SNA in the PMUA days. Don't recall to where, maybe denver. i recall the announcement about going up really fast and thinking ya a 757 has a lot of juice.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 11:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
From a pure demand perspective you'd assume it could sustain 752s with 16J, but maybe that's too much Y and more passengers means it's harder to deal with a short runway. The 28J 752s might be able to consistently make it off the runway (due to lower pax payload), but then that's probably too much J capacity and UA could better deploy those birds on the current PS routes.

All that said, the lack of competition on SNA-NYC probably means that UA is not a single bit motivated to try out PS. If/when DL steps in with Delta One service, that might give UA a nudge.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
I always assumed that the presence of the UC in SNA was precisely because there were many elite flyers there.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 5:15 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
RIC-EWR-SNA fares are the same as RIC-ORD-LAX as I was searching for flight options for late September, and lowest I've seen in a while. In fact, RIC-EWR-LAX fares are higher probably because of PS. That's a rare occurrence.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 5:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; DL DM; IHG Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; Hertz President's Circle
I feel like I've flown a 757 into SNA in the PMUA days. Don't recall to where, maybe denver. i recall the announcement about going up really fast and thinking ya a 757 has a lot of juice.
DL still flies 757s out of SNA.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by dkc192
From a pure demand perspective you'd assume it could sustain 752s with 16J, but maybe that's too much Y and more passengers means it's harder to deal with a short runway. The 28J 752s might be able to consistently make it off the runway (due to lower pax payload), but then that's probably too much J capacity and UA could better deploy those birds on the current PS routes.

All that said, the lack of competition on SNA-NYC probably means that UA is not a single bit motivated to try out PS. If/when DL steps in with Delta One service, that might give UA a nudge.
UA barely has enough frames to do SFO-BOS, don't think they're going to expand p.s. anywhere else soon unless B6 forces them to.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:24 am

I don’t need lay flats on this route. Unless we are talking about the red eye.

however HPN-SNA would be even nicer 😈
Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:39 am

Programs: DL DM
I've had trouble as a GS clearing a CPU on EWR SNA a few times. I did clear the red eye last week. I think it's because they use a 737-700 which doesn't have many F seats.

On the other hand, I've qualified for GS with SNA as my home airport with <40k spend multiple years so that implies to me that it's not very elite heavy.

Who knows.
I have a friend that works at SNA for UA. She told me that when Jeff was outsourcing all of the ground to express, there was very little worry about it happening in SNA because it was "one of the most elite-heavy non hub stations in the system."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.