Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

EWR-SNA - who regulary flies? upgrades? frequency? .....

Old Aug 14, 19, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; IHG Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; Hertz President's Circle

Does anyone fly this nonstop regularly?

Seems to be a very popular route, as flights are usually full, or close to it.

There are at most, only three nonstops a day on EWR<ó>SNA, compared with several EWR<ó>LAX.

Is EWR<ó>SNA super elite heavy? Seems like odds of upgrades clearing are lower than the p.s. routes.

Iím curious not only about upgrade experiences but why there are only three frequencies if the route is that popular; and whoís on these flights. (EWR-LAX is a very particular demographic for sure, which I try and avoid; but itís somehow always cheaper to fly into LAX than SNA)
Old Aug 14, 19, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G; Le Club Accor Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Hertz PC
Someone I know who is SNA-based generally has good luck clearing mileage upgrades as a Gold. Itís certainly not as elite-heavy as EWR-LAX. Prices generally tend to be higher as UA has a monopoly on NYC-Orange County (neither DL or AA fly SNA-NYC).
NYC2SGN and Rumples like this.
Old Aug 14, 19, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum
I have relatives that live in southern Orange County and have children (and grandchildren) just across the river from NYC. I have a sneaking suspicion that they are far from the only people in a similar situation. Plus, SNA is just a much better airport experience than LAX. My parents also live in southern Orange County. If I'm flying in to visit them, LAX has to be significantly cheaper for me to consider it--especially if I'm landing or flying out on a normal weekday.
Old Aug 14, 19, 3:57 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 View Post
Someone I know who is SNA-based generally has good luck clearing mileage upgrades as a Gold. It’s certainly not as elite-heavy as EWR-LAX. Prices generally tend to be higher as UA has a monopoly on NYC-Orange County (neither DL or AA fly SNA-NYC).
Add to that that EWR-LAX is not upgrdable like EWR-SNA is (without instruments). SNA is my home airport and I always end up flying from LAX, as prices are way lower than from SNA. Same for all my office. Also, if you add WN having a great lift from the airport and companion pass, I only fly WN out of SNA and use LAX for international or some domestic on UA.

Also, I have been flying LAX-EWR-LAX on UA a lot, as the 787-10 allows me to seat in W (Premium Economy Seats) as the class is not offered on those flights.
tstauck likes this.
Old Aug 14, 19, 4:00 pm

I've had trouble as a GS clearing a CPU on EWR SNA a few times. I did clear the red eye last week. I think it's because they use a 737-700 which doesn't have many F seats.

On the other hand, I've qualified for GS with SNA as my home airport with <40k spend multiple years so that implies to me that it's not very elite heavy.

Who knows.
Old Aug 14, 19, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; IHG Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 View Post
Someone I know who is SNA-based generally has good luck clearing mileage upgrades as a Gold. Itís certainly not as elite-heavy as EWR-LAX. Prices generally tend to be higher as UA has a monopoly on NYC-Orange County (neither DL or AA fly SNA-NYC).

The last time I flew SNA-EWR, I was a Platnium. I had to use a RPU to jump from the middle of the upgrade list to confirm an upgrade to F.

Looking at flights departing this week, F is either booked full or has one or maybe two seats left. There are some industries in Orange County, but damn. Are these people connecting onward to Europe, or are there a lot of O/D passengers?

I canít believe a Premier Gold was able to get a CPU on this route.

Maybe SNA is home to lots of comfy folk. 🤑
Old Aug 14, 19, 4:06 pm
m.y

Programs: AC *E HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by NYC2SGN View Post
There are at most, only three nonstops a day on EWR<ó>SNA, compared with several EWR<ó>LAX.
SNA is slot restricted, and the short runway means UA is very limited in capacity. It is also closer than LAX for many wealthy communities by the coast.
Oxnardjan and TXJeepGuy like this.
Old Aug 14, 19, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by deskover54 View Post
I've had trouble as a GS clearing a CPU on EWR SNA a few times. I did clear the red eye last week. I think it's because they use a 737-700 which doesn't have many F seats.

On the other hand, I've qualified for GS with SNA as my home airport with <40k spend multiple years so that implies to me that it's not very elite heavy.

Who knows.
Good data point on GS spend if your base is SNA, but if itís hard for GS to get CPU on SNA-EWR, how would Premier Gold be able to clear so often?!
Old Aug 14, 19, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good data point on GS spend if your base is SNA, but if itís hard for GS to get CPU on SNA-EWR, how would Premier Gold be able to clear so often?!
Timing. Also, note that the Gold pax said "mileage upgrade," not CPU.
Old Aug 14, 19, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
Timing. Also, note that the Gold pax said "mileage upgrade," not CPU.
Ah. I see now.

Yes, MUA > CPU, but GS CPU > Non-GS instrument upgrade right?

Iíve checked flights in the next 10 days and have never seen PZ or PN. The closest Iíve seen was P, and that was once.

Also: I swear this thread is not solely about upgrading. Itís about the phenomenon that is this route.

Old Aug 14, 19, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah. I see now.

Yes, MUA > CPU, but GS CPU > Non-GS instrument upgrade right?
Inside the GS CPU window, yes.
Old Aug 14, 19, 6:30 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Platinum Premier, Mileage Plus Silver
Even though SNA is my home airport, last month I flew out of LAX because of the PS flat bed. 5+ hours in a 737 recliner just did not sound like a good start to my long weekend.
tstauck likes this.
Old Aug 14, 19, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA 1k, 2.5mm, Hilton LTD, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Whatever
It's my home airport and I don't ever count on clearing. I'm 1K but SNA is very elite heavy, lots of GS. I'm usually going to NYC when I'm going to that area and will often just do a connection and go to LGA which is a lot cheaper. I will not make the drive to LAX for a domestic flight.
Old Aug 14, 19, 7:05 pm

Programs: United GS, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by deskover54 View Post
Thatís a great data point. Iíve been pushing to get close to 50k every year. Looks like I can possibly stress less about it towards the end of the year.

I love SNA and the United staff here are all great. I see them and chat with them more than my co-workers lol

I will always take a connection flying out of sna vs taking a direct through lax
Old Aug 14, 19, 7:10 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus - 1K
As others have said, SNA is incredibly elite heavy. I can barely clear as a 1k on Y, B, M, U fares which leads me to believe folks are simply booking F as PZ/PN isn't available for instant upgrades and generally ends up being a battlefield upgrade.

Flying out of ORD I've had great luck clearing the first flight/last flight to LAX and then fly out of SNA to SFO then over to ORD which I can clear consistently.

Best,

Search this Thread