Wiki Posts
Search

Club Membership vs Club Card?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2019, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
Club Membership vs Club Card?

For some strange reason, I am debating finding a way of getting UA club access - Denver is my primary airport - and while 1/3 of my flights are international and hence get access, I am debating getting full-time access - either with $$$, miles, or an Explorer club card......

I am currently 1K, unlikely to ever get GS, and should be at least Plat next year - hopefully 1K again

advice?

-michael
Old Aug 11, 2019, 7:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
Get the club card the first year with the annual fee waived then decide a year from then
Old Aug 11, 2019, 7:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
If you're going to pay, I'd recommend a credit card that gives you Priority Pass. The lounges are far superior to anything United has to offer, and the membership is significantly cheaper. Even on international flights, I only use United Clubs or Star Alliance lounges when there's no Priority Pass available.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Excluding weird extraneous circumstances around credit cards, the Club Card is strictly superior to a normal paid UC membership.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
1) Dont think the fee is waived the first year on the Club - but will check
2) PP does not have good options at DIA (different terminal)
- had PP in past (with AmEx Plat) and used occ - but was not a big fan - not really looking for big meals/food etc
Old Aug 11, 2019, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by findark
Excluding weird extraneous circumstances around credit cards, the Club Card is strictly superior to a normal paid UC membership.
+1. No-brainer IMO.
Artpen100 and DCFlyIAD like this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 7:44 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by mfirst
1) Dont think the fee is waived the first year on the Club - but will check
There are two flavors of intro offer, one of which is 50k miles after 3k of spend in the first three months, but another is waived annual fee for the first year. Depending how you value UA miles, 50k is worth more than saving $450.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 9:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Regardless of status, the Chase MP Club credit card is cheaper than outright purchasing UC membership. and you can use miles for either one. The Chase card is also much cheaper with credit card miles than purchasing the UC membership with miles. So if you can get the Chase card (a USA SSN and appropriate credit score) there is no reason / advantage to purchasing the UC membership directly.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
if you can get the Chase card (a USA SSN and appropriate credit score)
You also need to qualify under Chase's 5/24 rule -- and you need to be sure that taking the Club card wouldn't put you at 5/24 when you were looking for a more lucrative offer. However, these are niche exceptions; in general, I agree, if you want Club access, the card is a better option than a membership.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
If this could be or is to be a business expense, credit card annual fees are tax deductible while club membership fees are not. So the credit card route would be the way t go in that case.
jsloan likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
If you must get a UC membership, definitely get the card instead of buying the membership. As for PP, that depends how where you fly out of. For example, at MOST UA hubs, you have no better options or no options at all. If you always fly out of SEA on UA alot, the PP option is better imo.

It is not uncommon to get an offer for the first year free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.