Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: Weather System Lekima: TPE Aug 7 -10, 2019 & PVG Aug 9-11, 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 9, 2019, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2019, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

IRROPS codeshare (ANA) Weather delays procedure

Hi, apologies if there is a thread I should be appending to instead of creating a new one.

I have TPE-NRT-SFO-YVR as remaining legs on a roundtrip orig YVR, booked on United, 016 (United) stock. The TPE-TYO is operated by ANA this Saturday, and the rest is on United later on Tuesday next week.

I'm a bit concerned with Typhoon Lekima. At the moment, United have a travel waiver https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...elnotices.aspx, and as far as I can tell ANA has one as well, applicable to my ticket, https://atpa.fly-ana.com/news/travel...-system-lekima. 1. If ANA cancel the flight, will they automatically rebook me on something later? Or do I have to ask them, or do I ask United?

2. I'd rather not delay the TPE outbound since I have no accommodation here to extend my stay. If there is a cancellation or delay, I had read on this forum that as a 1K, United will put me in a hotel for WX delays - but I guess this would not apply in this case for the ANA flight?

3. Are there any other benefits to being *A (e.g. special rebooking phone number, etc) while traveling on ANA on UA ticket stock in case of IRROPS caused by weather?

4. (Sorry, not UA question, but having never experienced a typhoon or hurricane in my life, is there a good trupical storm forecaast page to keep an eye on especially for aviation travel impact?)

Thank you
Old Aug 6, 2019, 6:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Need to nail down a few facts first
You are a 1K traveling in economy (based on other recent posts)?
Is this a paid or award ticket?
Are your flights on the days of the ANA waiver? But you want to try anyway?

Issues before the day of travel are handled by the booking entity, UA in this case (016 ticket stock)
Issues the day of travel are handled by the operating airline. However, if things are not going well, you can try UA.

You can track typhoons on standard weather sites or regional governmental sites, such as Japan Meteorological Agency | Tropical Cyclone Information
It does not look good, but by Saturday, late in the day things maybe OK.

As for *G, you would have some protection if you were in route but if originating in TPE and not business class, I don't think there is any housing protection. BTW, same with 1K traveling on UA.

AMENITIES - UNCONTROLLABLE*
In the event of an uncontrollable delay, Star Alliance member carriers will provide amenities to premium customers (First, Business and Star Alliance Gold status customers and customers requiring special assistance) travelling on an "intercontinental" journey including "intercontinental connection" to/from domestic services. An "intercontinental connection" is defined as one which does not exceed 24 hours. Intercontinental services are defined as those operating between Europe, Asia, North America (including Central America), South america, Australia & New Zealand and Africa.
MINIMUM AMENITIES
• Access to phone and/or Wi-Fi and/or other means of communication and/or provide information
about communication access;
• Meals and/or refreshments when delay exceeds two hours;
• Hotel accommodation for more than 8h delays if it occurs in overnight period;
• Ground transportation between airport/hotel/airport must be provided upon customer request;
• For those customers who decline airport accommodations, carrier should provide ground transportation options to allow customers to travel to/from their residence if within 80 km from the airport, or provide ground transportation compensation fee.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 6, 2019 at 6:15 pm
Old Aug 6, 2019, 6:13 pm
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Can't answer all of them, but:

1. They should automatically rebook you on something else, but that's not necessarily going to be the best/most obvious/most convenient flight. If there are specific flights that you know about or want to be rebooked on, tell them because they might not think of it themselves.

3. I don't think there's a special phone number but of course you get to access the priority lines and lounges at the airport which should be faster and better than the regular ones.

4. Both the Japan Meterological Agency website and Windy are good. I feel like the JMA site gives slightly better predictions, but Windy looks way cooler.

Lekima looks like it will pass through or just north of Taipei on the night of the 8th and stay nearby throughout the 9th. The worst of it should be over by Saturday but it's hard to say for sure.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Hi, Thanks for the replies and infos.

Sorry for not providing the appropriate information before. I'm traveling on a multicity roundtrip in paid economy originating YVR. The TPAC portions are flown on United upgraded with GPU both ways. The inter-Asia portion (same ticket) is in ANA codeshare, in paid economy. I'm currently in TPE.

The affected leg, TPE-NRT is on Saturday morning, covered by the waiver. However, I assumed that if I change it, I would have to pay for accommodation to extend my stay in TPE, so I wanted to try anyway. I thought that typhoons move slowly and there's no benefit to moving the flight from Sat morning to the same day evening. I can't leave today or tomorrow (Weds/Thurs) and it looks like Friday will be much worse than Sat for weather. From the infos that WineCountryUA posted, I don't think I'm on intercontinental, since I'm stopping in TYO for three days before returning to North America, so I don't think I qualify for accommodation if the flight is cancelled.

I think there is an EVA lounge in TPE T2, but I guess if my flight is cancelled outright, I can't use it until the rescheduled flight day. I was also concerned that ANA may cancel flights the day before, and not have planes in the correct position for Saturday even if the weather is better. But I guess I will have to wait and see.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 7:20 pm

Can you get on the Taipei to SFO nonstop United? With a waiver, it should be doable, and then connect to YVR on your original flight or other flights?
Old Aug 6, 2019, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
https://www.metoc.navy.mil/jtwc/products/wp1019.gif
https://www.metoc.navy.mil/jtwc/jtwc.html

here is another site with official typhoon forecast. It is a little too technical, but you can guess the forecasted track.
It is difficult to predict what will happen with the flights on Saturday. Eva should have some flights operating on Saturday. You can call ANA or UA to move to Eva flight.
Good luck.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 7:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Whatever you do decide, you should do the research on alternatives you prefer should your ticketed flight be cancelled or significantly delayed. Yes, you will be rebooked, but it might be terribly inconvenient. It is always best to have the specific flights you want in hand so that you can provide an agent, whether NH or UA, with the flights you want.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K

Airports:
  • Taipei, TW (TPE)​
Rebook by August 17, 2019.

Waiver (normal folks): https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/travel/news/Pages/travelnotices.aspx#ExceptionPolicies

Waiver Parameter Code (posted): 2

David
Old Aug 8, 2019, 12:21 am

Programs: UA 2MM
I note UA872 TPE-SFO has been cancelled Friday August 9, but there is a new flight UA2812 departing Thursday evening.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 6:31 am

Leave on Friday morning?

Originally Posted by under2100
Hi, Thanks for the replies and infos.

Sorry for not providing the appropriate information before. I'm traveling on a multicity roundtrip in paid economy originating YVR. The TPAC portions are flown on United upgraded with GPU both ways. The inter-Asia portion (same ticket) is in ANA codeshare, in paid economy. I'm currently in TPE.

The affected leg, TPE-NRT is on Saturday morning, covered by the waiver. However, I assumed that if I change it, I would have to pay for accommodation to extend my stay in TPE, so I wanted to try anyway. I thought that typhoons move slowly and there's no benefit to moving the flight from Sat morning to the same day evening. I can't leave today or tomorrow (Weds/Thurs) and it looks like Friday will be much worse than Sat for weather. From the infos that WineCountryUA posted, I don't think I'm on intercontinental, since I'm stopping in TYO for three days before returning to North America, so I don't think I qualify for accommodation if the flight is cancelled.

I think there is an EVA lounge in TPE T2, but I guess if my flight is cancelled outright, I can't use it until the rescheduled flight day. I was also concerned that ANA may cancel flights the day before, and not have planes in the correct position for Saturday even if the weather is better. But I guess I will have to wait and see.
OP, do you plan to leave TPE before the Typhoon hits? The worst part of the Typhoon will miss Taipei, but it is not fun to wait it out. If there are seats on any EVA flght on Friday morning, you should consider it to leave earlier.
Good luck.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 7:44 am

Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire
In Shanghai now. Locals expecting trouble here too. From 11 may have rain and thunderstorm but at 6 things turn nasty.

I am watching my incoming EWR aircraft. I assume if it leaves in an hour then the expectation is to be able to take off from here too. Since there is no advisory for Shanghai I guess my flight should be fine.

But they best try to get us out of Dodge on time (15:45 tomorrow) because apparently it may be bad for a few days thereafter.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kmxu
OP, do you plan to leave TPE before the Typhoon hits? The worst part of the Typhoon will miss Taipei, but it is not fun to wait it out. If there are seats on any EVA flght on Friday morning, you should consider it to leave earlier.
Good luck.
Hi, thanks for asking! Unfortunately, I think I'm already stuck in the fringes of it now. The United flight TPE-SFO is cancelled on Friday, as are a couple of the ANA flights to Tokyo. I took everyone's advice and proactively selected a later flight and called United and asked them to move my flight from Saturday morning to Saturday evening. The forecast seems to have the storm closer to the Chinese coast by then so I hope the flights will resume. If not, the United agent told me to contact them to rebook for Sunday. The United agent was quite helpful and let me rebook for TSA-HND, neither of which were my original airport pairs (TPE-NRT) but had later afternoon flights scheduled. The modestly priced accommodation I am staying in will let us extend the stay for another night so that's my plan B.

The storm does look quite impressive on the windy.com site that the previous comment suggested. Thanks for all the forecast website recommendations as well. I must say, all the local people seem very nonchalant about it and looked at me oddly when I asked if I should stock up on water or food. 'No, just go to the 7-11 next door' they said. I was also jolted out of bed this morning at 5AM by a 6.0 earthquake - in my groggy early morning state I initially thought was strong typhoon winds shaking the building. It generated a 'Presidential Alert' on my phone no less, although it was in Chinese so I had no idea what it said.

I'm also a bit confused when I look at tracking websites like https://flightaware.com/live/airport/RCTP - it looks like there are some airplanes flying near the storm path - I thought there would be a big blank space with all aircraft avoiding a couple hundred kilometer radius.

Then there is Krosa heading towards Japan, so I hope that doesn't stop me leaving TYO next week!
Kmxu likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by under2100
I'm also a bit confused when I look at tracking websites like https://flightaware.com/live/airport/RCTP - it looks like there are some airplanes flying near the storm path - I thought there would be a big blank space with all aircraft avoiding a couple hundred kilometer radius.
There aren't as many reporting stations over the ocean; tracking websites use a best guess based upon known flight corridors. It's possible that traffic is, in fact, detouring around the storm, but it's happening in a place where the websites can't see it.

That said, I don't know if they really need to stay hundreds of kilometers away from the storm anyway. Storm paths are fairly predictable over the short term (while a plane would be flying nearby).
Old Aug 8, 2019, 11:27 am

Once Lekima lands near the central coast of Zhejiang province (south of Shanghai), the Typhoon will be weakened and moved much faster northwards. The situation should not be very bad because UA has not cancelled any USA-PVG flght for the next 2-3 days yet.
Keep safe and happy travel.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
I am currently sitting in the SFO UC lounge awaiting UA871 SFO-TPE. A two hour delay announced (so far). I do note that BR managed to get their flight BR7 off on time at 1300, with on time arrival estimated.

International UC lounge is crowded, at times no seats available. Lounge is modest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.