Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Express (Air Wisconsin) Flight Attendant Arrested for Being Drunk

United Express (Air Wisconsin) Flight Attendant Arrested for Being Drunk

Old Aug 9, 19, 7:58 am
  #1  
Used to be MBS PremExec
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Saginaw, MI USA (MBS)
Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Plat w/Lifetime Gold, Hilton LT ♢, National Exec, Sixt Plat
Posts: 5,209
United Express (Air Wisconsin) Flight Attendant Arrested for Being Drunk

https://abc7.com/flight-attendant-fi...Iewg_uNPe-oANc

...And the hits keep coming. While indeed, not an actual employed-by-United flight attendant, that's not what the public will perceive.

So intoxicated that she had to be buckled in by passengers, and was passed out (sleeping) in her jump seat.

I do hope for her sake that it does turn out to be something other than intoxication, but since she was arrested at SBN upon arrival and has already summarily been fired by Air Wisconsin, I'd guess at this point it's probably open and shut that she was drunk.

Another link:

https://www.businessinsider.com/unit...secutor-2019-8
MBS MillionMiler is offline  
Old Aug 9, 19, 8:15 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,046
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler View Post
https://abc7.com/flight-attendant-fi...Iewg_uNPe-oANc

...And the hits keep coming. While indeed, not an actual employed-by-United flight attendant, that's not what the public will perceive.

So intoxicated that she had to be buckled in by passengers, and was passed out (sleeping) in her jump seat.

I do hope for her sake that it does turn out to be something other than intoxication, but since she was arrested at SBN upon arrival and has already summarily been fired by Air Wisconsin, I'd guess at this point it's probably open and shut that she was drunk.

Another link:

https://www.businessinsider.com/unit...secutor-2019-8
"other than intoxication"? The news report claimed a breathalizer test indicated >0.2%.
JimInOhio is offline  
Old Aug 9, 19, 8:19 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: ORF, RIC
Programs: UA 1K 2MM; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum
Posts: 3,169
This story was on national Primetime News program last night. She deserved to be dismissed. Safety is job 1.
Kmxu is offline  
Old Aug 9, 19, 9:03 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New York, NY
Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Posts: 7,116
New meaning to the longtime moniker, "Air Whiskey"...

Joking aside, this is not the first time there has been such an issue for Air Wisconsin on the United CPA... https://abc13.com/united-passengers-...plane/3428100/

ZW has some of the lowest wages in the industry. I imagine turnover is pretty high and the lifestyle (lots of short legs, lower-end layover accommodations) is demanding.
EWR764 is online now  
Old Aug 9, 19, 9:16 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: DCA
Programs: United 1K 2MM, Hilton Gold
Posts: 2,586
The ZW flight is at 9AM. I am left with the same question as with the GLA-EWR incident - how much do you have to drink to be that drunk at 9AM? Holy smokes!
Miles Ahead is offline  
Old Aug 9, 19, 9:17 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Programs: Hertz PC
Posts: 524
Not the first time I have seen a Air Wisconsin FA fall on her ......

4th of July last year on flight from ord-mke. She did not hear the capt announcement "flight attendant take your seat" She was still standing looking out the right side door window at fireworks when the jet accelerated on the runway. She fell toward 1A and ended up in the aslie. LUCKY SHE DIDN'T HIT HER HEAD.
bhunt is offline  
Old Aug 9, 19, 9:19 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SRQ, PDX
Programs: UA 1 MM
Posts: 603
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead View Post
The ZW flight is at 9AM. I am left with the same question as with the GLA-EWR incident - how much do you have to drink to be that drunk at 9AM? Holy smokes!
According to local media: "While on the way to jail, the flight attendant told an officer that she drank two vodka “shooters” before work that morning, according to the affidavit. A breath test later showed her blood-alcohol content level was .204, prosecutors said."
artvandalay is offline  
Old Aug 9, 19, 10:34 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Programs: Bonvoy Platinum
Posts: 16,359
That has to be some kind of FAA violation--to leave the gate with an incapacitated FA, right?
pseudoswede is offline  
Old Aug 9, 19, 10:36 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Programs: Bonvoy Platinum
Posts: 16,359
You almost think UA is going to have to require GAs to use a breathalyzer on all the crew before they're allowed down the jetway.
pseudoswede is offline  
Old Aug 9, 19, 11:02 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston
Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
Posts: 656
I do not pay attention to the overall crew interactions prior to a flight, but is there some responsibility for the pilot/co-pilot to notice that the flight attendant cannot make it through the safety briefing or that the entire flight crew is ready for the flight?
HoustonConsultant is offline  
Old Aug 9, 19, 11:04 am
  #11  
Used to be MBS PremExec
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Saginaw, MI USA (MBS)
Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Plat w/Lifetime Gold, Hilton LT ♢, National Exec, Sixt Plat
Posts: 5,209
Originally Posted by HoustonConsultant View Post
I do not pay attention to the overall crew interactions prior to a flight, but is there some responsibility for the pilot/co-pilot to notice that the flight attendant cannot make it through the safety briefing or that the entire flight crew is ready for the flight?
I've always wondered this...Can the pilots actually hear the in-cabin announcements? Maybe they were oblivious?
MBS MillionMiler is offline  
Old Aug 9, 19, 11:09 am
  #12  
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 17,437
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler View Post
I've always wondered this...Can the pilots actually hear the in-cabin announcements? Maybe they were oblivious?
Many of these announcements on RJs are prerecorded.
cawhite likes this.
iluv2fly is offline  
Old Aug 9, 19, 11:09 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: San Francisco
Programs: UA GS, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Posts: 1,980
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead View Post
The ZW flight is at 9AM. I am left with the same question as with the GLA-EWR incident - how much do you have to drink to be that drunk at 9AM? Holy smokes!
Article states she admitted to doing two "vodka shooter" prior to flight. I think that actually means four. Pretty sad to say the least.
narvik likes this.
nomad420 is offline  
Old Aug 9, 19, 11:18 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pacific Northwest
Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVPG, Marriott Plat, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Posts: 8,335
Originally Posted by iluv2fly View Post
Many of these announcements on RJs are prerecorded.
I would also assume that the pilots are too busy with other stuff to pay attention to the safety briefing, even if they can hear it. But the pilots tend to also interact with the FAs before the cockpit door is locked up. Surprised they wouldn’t notice.
cawhite and strickerj like this.
notquiteaff is online now  
Old Aug 9, 19, 11:22 am
  #15  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Posts: 47,610
Originally Posted by pseudoswede View Post
You almost think UA is going to have to require GAs to use a breathalyzer on all the crew before they're allowed down the jetway.
This is far from a UA unique situation, just some incidents this year
Flight attendant turned up for work more than four times over alcohol ...(AA)
Qatar Airways Flight Gets Delayed 10 Hours After Crew Turn Up Drunk .
Japan Airlines flight attendant found drunk on duty - Xinhua English ...
Delta pilot Gabriel Lyle Schroeder suspected of intoxication arrested at ...
Intoxicated British Airways 777 Pilot Removed From Flight One Mile ...
Drunk Pilot Receives 10 Months in Prison After Failing Breathalyzer ... (JL)

This is an industry-wide, actually any workplace, issue. But for the airlines, with greater safety concerns, there is already a spot checking process -- Drug testing FAs
featheroleather, narvik and ajGoes like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 9, 19 at 11:28 am Reason: more links
WineCountryUA is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread