Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

First-world problem - no gasper valves (overhead air vents) on some aircraft, why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First-world problem - no gasper valves (overhead air vents) on some aircraft, why?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by limey1K
I just spent 24 hours on back to back 12 hour, overnight flights on LH without any type of overhead vent. The issue for me was that they kept the cabin WAY too hot for sleeping and I couldn’t sleep. Had there been an overhead vent, I could have kept the air flowing and maybe gotten some sleep. Sleeping on planes is hard enough, sweating while trying really sucks.
LH is possibly the worst offender. It’s like flying in a sauna.
jpezaris and bballdad175 like this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by milepig

LH is possibly the worst offender. It’s like flying in a sauna.
It was really awful. My wife says that I’d sleep in meat locker if I could but this was ridiculous. It was bad enough that I’m reconsidering flying LH overnight again.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 1:49 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
JAL says hold my beer on the cabin heat. LH meat locker comparatively.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Grasper valve??? Lol

My wife says that my participation in FlyerTalk is pretty nerdy, but if I called the air vent a gasper valve she’d have a field day.

Dude - it’s an air vent!!!
Old Aug 3, 2019, 4:06 pm

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
JAL says hold my beer on the cabin heat. LH meat locker comparatively.
i think you have the two biggest offenders for INTL, but I just took a DL redeye that took the cake. I didn’t know a 752 could get that hot, and am convinced the cabin crew wanted to be left alone.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 9:43 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by jimmc66
Air vents are an anachronism from the early days of flight. They do little to improve circulation on the planes, even during temperature fluctuations.
Have you been on a small regional jet? You can really feel the difference when you're waiting for the plane to board!

FAs on a recent B77W flight made multiple announcements about people complaining that the cabin was cold and told everyone to close their vents if the were cold.
One FA even offered to close mine, but I declined as I prefer to prefer to be slightly cold.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 4:44 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM / AA PP, Marriott Lifetime Gold
This is something I have to keep in mind when considering which airline to fly internationally.... I CAN'T STAND not having "gaspers" - - I run hot as it is and having blowing air on me helps so much, especially if the crew doesn't keep the overall temperature relatively chilly. Warm AND no gaspers? I'm in my own little world of hell.
tcdtcd likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 6:27 am

Isn’t this almost the very definition of a first world problem?

I mean, “third world problems” are things like not having an actual house, not having food, having armed uprisings that take over your village, no access to medicine/clean water, etc.

rmannion likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 4, 2019 at 10:23 am Reason: discuss the issue, not the poster(s)
Old Aug 4, 2019, 10:35 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The topic of preferred temperatures is interesting -- there is a wide range of preferred temperature (over 10 degrees F) found in most studies with age, gender, ethnicity, ... having a correlation.
Many, many studies and articles written on this -- for example, this recent news reportHow to Resolve the Office Temperature Debate. There is not one size fits all plus you have the difficultly on a plane even holding a single temperature throughout the aircraft.

So the ability to have some micro-climate control does seem to make sense.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 6:57 pm

Programs: *
Just on a 763 high J and noticed no air vents. I seem to think all high J 763s I have been on had air vents or am I mixed up? If I am not mixed up why is this AC different?
Old Jul 15, 2022, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by ani90
Just on a 763 high J and noticed no air vents. I seem to think all high J 763s I have been on had air vents or am I mixed up? If I am not mixed up why is this AC different?
pmCO A/C. For some reason, they thought passengers didn't need air.

David
Old Jul 15, 2022, 10:17 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by DELee
pmCO A/C. ...
perhaps not
Was not all the 763s pmUA Except for the acquired 3 HA units, which BTW did not have gaspers

pmCO had 764s
featheroleather likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 11:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
My recollection is the PMUA 763s as with virtually all their AC had nozzles. I wonder if the converted 763s had them Smiseked away?

This is a legit issue in sweltering Asia right now, where my NH 789 and SQ 78J flights do not offer this option. Brand new aircraft at that.

One of numerous subtle advantages UA has that gets drowned out in the whinges about food.
SPN Lifer and SFOtoTYO like this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 11:41 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I hate flying Lufthansa due to the lack of air vents.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
My recollection is the PMUA 763s as with virtually all their AC had nozzles. I wonder if the converted 763s had them Smiseked away?....
No, the pmUA763s still have gaspes, but as mentioned the 3 HA 763s did not/do no have them.
uastarflyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.