Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why is UA cancelling flights out of IAH? Can I get $$ for a cancelled flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2019, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Just got a bunch of random questions because United is being a bit annoying right now.

I am flying out of IAH in August and then again in September, both times to MCO. I have taken the exact same flight 30+ times over the last 15 years. It is always the 7:30-ish morning flight that lands at 11am in MCO. I *had* this flight booked for both of these trips and now they are cancelled. UA put me on a later flight for both days. For the August trip it isn't that bad, I am just getting in a hour and half later, but on the September flight they cancelled the 2 morning flights and I am not leaving until noon arriving at 3pm to MCO. This is so annoying. Is there anything that I can do, besides getting a full refund? It seems like UA should be able to compensate me for them cancelling a flight.

With this new flight plan what I would be willing to do is fly in the day ahead of time to MCO and stay at the hotel airport(or something equivalent) but I would only want to do this if UA would be willing to give me at least enough money to spend the night at a hotel. I don't want to cancel my flights, but they changed my arrival time in Sept to be a whole 5 hours late. Is there anything I can do?
Old Jul 29, 2019, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by rebecca_b
Just got a bunch of random questions because United is being a bit annoying right now.

I am flying out of IAH in August and then again in September, both times to MCO. I have taken the exact same flight 30+ times over the last 15 years. It is always the 7:30-ish morning flight that lands at 11am in MCO. I *had* this flight booked for both of these trips and now they are cancelled. UA put me on a later flight for both days. For the August trip it isn't that bad, I am just getting in a hour and half later, but on the September flight they cancelled the 2 morning flights and I am not leaving until noon arriving at 3pm to MCO. This is so annoying. Is there anything that I can do, besides getting a full refund? It seems like UA should be able to compensate me for them cancelling a flight.

With this new flight plan what I would be willing to do is fly in the day ahead of time to MCO and stay at the hotel airport(or something equivalent) but I would only want to do this if UA would be willing to give me at least enough money to spend the night at a hotel. I don't want to cancel my flights, but they changed my arrival time in Sept to be a whole 5 hours late. Is there anything I can do?
They would prob move you to the day before flight if you asked due to the schedule change.

I doubt they will offer you any money for the hotel-- a really nice agent may through a $100 UA voucher your way.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE

Short answer is no. Take the refund and book someone else, or take the day early flight and expenses are on you.
iluv2fly and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is there anything I can do?
If there is a different flight that works better for you, UA will put you on it. Otherwise, no.

IAH-MCO was one of the routes where they had been using the 737 MAX. These cancellations are likely related to that plane being grounded.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 11:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
FYI: Your question was asked and answered the last time you asked:

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one
Old Jul 29, 2019, 11:57 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Please refer to the thread and responses where this was previously asked.

l'etoile
UA moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.