Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Crediting (UA/partner) FF account but getting benefits from another acct? [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 25, 2019, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Want to use UA benefits (E+ access, CPU, bag allowance, boarding group, ....) but credit flight to a partner program.
Best to wait until you have a BP and then at the airport use a kiosk to change to the program you wish to credit.
Should be able to keep seat assignment but if you use an airport agent to change the crediting program, there is a chance the agent will undo the E+ access or CPU
For multiple segments, this gets tricky as crediting is done post-flight (but not immediately) and changing programs (such as back to UA for a second flight) before you confirm posting can lead to unpredictable outcomes.

Related thread
Ability to Change MP Number on UAL.COM Removed {Now back @ checkin???}
Print Wikipost

Crediting (UA/partner) FF account but getting benefits from another acct? [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2019, 8:03 pm

The flight is still a while away, but I'll make sure to try and report here what the outcome is.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 6:37 am

Programs: AA PLT PRO, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plt. Premier
Booked a Ac flight from YFC - YYZ can I get UA Silver Benefits ?

I booked a A flight from YFC - YYZ for a couple weeks from now but I used my Areoplan # instead of my UA # - I am silver because of Marriott, just wondering if I can get Silver benefits on AC and if so how do I go about it ?

Thanks !
Old Jul 25, 2019, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dgparent
I booked a A flight from YFC - YYZ for a couple weeks from now but I used my Areoplan # instead of my UA # - I am silver because of Marriott, just wondering if I can get Silver benefits on AC and if so how do I go about it ?

Thanks !
The only two published benefits of Star Alliance Silver are a priority reservations waitlist and priority airport stand-by. What Silver benefit were you hoping to get?
Old Jul 25, 2019, 6:47 am

Programs: AA PLT PRO, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plt. Premier
Originally Posted by jsloan
The only two published benefits of Star Alliance Silver are a priority reservations waitlist and priority airport stand-by. What Silver benefit were you hoping to get?
Ya I saw that later, no real benefits, mods you can delete this thread.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 1:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
In the event of IRROPS, UA*S will put you well ahead of everyone with no status.

It also depends where you want the miles to be credited.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by pentiumvi
Hello All,

A bit of background... I have an upcoming UA flight that was booked by corporate travel. I didn't realize at the time, but they inputted my UA MP # into the reservation (I've been accruing mileage in a different program recently).
I only just noticed since I managed to get a CPU (a rarity on this route, which I fly often).

What happens if I change my FFP at the airport kiosk? I assume the CPU will be rescinded?

Thanks
Any update on whether you were able to get the FF number changed after the CPU? Did you check with an agent at the airport?

I've got an upcoming flight where I'll likely get a CPU, but need to credit some miles elsewhere, so wondering if any folks have recent experiences with this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 10:19 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Platinum, OZ Diamond, AC Prestige25K
You likely will not be able to change your FFP at the airport kiosk due to your elite status. However, I have had success with calling in and changing my FFP after a CPU. It's mostly just luck that the agent doesn't notice your CPU.
gcashin likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA1MM, *G,HA Premier Club, Hyatt Disc, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTPlat, ClubCarlson Gold, IHG PlatAmb
So the next question would be (and this wasn't really addressed in this other active thread about today's changes)... for those abandoning pursuit of accrual to UAMP, how do you correctly use your Premier Gold/Star Gold status when crediting your flight to other FFP? One gentleman says change the FFP number before boarding, but how reliable is that method? Forgive me if there's already a thread for this (or if I just need to search more carefully). The change makes it more compelling to fly (and acrrue) in the UA partner flights.

Thx!
Old Oct 14, 2019, 6:01 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat/UA 1K/Delta Platinum
Mileage Accrual on Another Airline and still use *G?

Hello,

I have realized that i am not going to reach 1k this year and i don't find platinum that interesting. I have already reached *G qualifications this year.

I was thinking of signing up for Asiana and having the rest of my miles this year go towards their program as their miles seem more useful than United Miles at least through the end of the year. If I am flying on United of Lufthansa flights and use my Asiana FF number, will i still have *G privileges? (i have no status on asiana, only on united). I have my *G card. Mainly, i want to make sure that i can check in the dedicated line and access the lounge.

This is assuming i am flying on a United/Lufthansa flight.

Thanks.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 5:03 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA Gold, CO Gold
Credit to UA MP if other *A FF account is listed during travel

As a (non-UA) *G traveling on an upcoming BE flight, I was planning to use my *G number to be able to do OLCI. But ultimately, I want the miles from the trip in my MP account, even if it's not a whole lot. Anyone have experience with leaving their non-UA FF number on the ticket during travel and then once travel is complete, claiming the miles retroactively with UA? The fare obviously doesn't earn with my *G account, and it would be nice to not have to deal with changing the FF number multiple times, as this is a return trip.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jope_taco
As a (non-UA) *G traveling on an upcoming BE flight, I was planning to use my *G number to be able to do OLCI. But ultimately, I want the miles from the trip in my MP account, even if it's not a whole lot. Anyone have experience with leaving their non-UA FF number on the ticket during travel and then once travel is complete, claiming the miles retroactively with UA? The fare obviously doesn't earn with my *G account, and it would be nice to not have to deal with changing the FF number multiple times, as this is a return trip.
why do that? Switch it out at the gate. It's calling for trouble to have it (not) not credit somewhere else and then making a retro-claim.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Questions About Moving Away from MileagePlus by 2021

I'll be leaving MileagePlus after 9 years as 1K as the new changes don't work for me as a southeast Asia based flyer. It was hard enough sticking in there after United left Bangkok and will be impossible now. I think there are probably a lot of people in the same situation, so maybe we need a thread about how to exit Mileage Plus "gracefully". It would also be nice to hear other people's ideas about where they are going to credit miles going forward. (This doesn't mean I won't fly United again, but I won't be crediting flights to the MP program anymore. I will probably be flying substantially less, however and united.com will no longer be my first booking stop after January 1, 2020.)

I do still need to figure out where I will credit this mileage and when to start doing that.

My first question is:
Is there any way to fly on another airline using UA based star gold status without crediting the flight to UA? Would I just put the UA number in until check in and then change it on my phone?
(I will be 1MM before the end of 2020, so Gold for life.)
Old Oct 16, 2019, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by TomA
I'll be leaving MileagePlus after 9 years as 1K as the new changes don't work for me as a southeast Asia based flyer. It was hard enough sticking in there after United left Bangkok and will be impossible now. I think there are probably a lot of people in the same situation, so maybe we need a thread about how to exit Mileage Plus "gracefully". It would also be nice to hear other people's ideas about where they are going to credit miles going forward. (This doesn't mean I won't fly United again, but I won't be crediting flights to the MP program anymore. I will probably be flying substantially less, however and united.com will no longer be my first booking stop after January 1, 2020.)

I do still need to figure out where I will credit this mileage and when to start doing that.

My first question is:
Is there any way to fly on another airline using UA based star gold status without crediting the flight to UA? Would I just put the UA number in until check in and then change it on my phone?
I'm in the same boat, but London based. *G for life on UA, but no longer able to to maintain anything better. So, for crediting, towards the end of next year, I will assess if there's a better Star Alliance program in which to earn miles, and switch to that.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 7:31 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat/UA 1K/Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by TomA

My first question is:

I am asking a similar question...

Basically i have the United FF # until after checkin.. The question is then... how do i change the FF # for that flight so it gets credited to a new program? Obviously, if it's not a untied flight i can't use the united app. I have a few Singapore airlines flights coming up that i would like to do this with.. not sure if anyone has a recommendation (or experience with this at changi airport).
Old Oct 17, 2019, 9:47 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
The general consensus seems to be that changing after check-in can work, right?

I suppose though other than E+ on UA, basically all other benefits on *A airlines can be had just by showing your card? Lounges work for this, and I assume one could talk their way into priority boarding by showing it? GPUs can be applied without having your FF# in the account, you're "guesting" to yourself.

I'll be in the same boat, want to use my 1K benefits, but will be crediting some flights to OZ to get that status for next year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.