Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

did united ever offer complimentary upgrades on international routes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

did united ever offer complimentary upgrades on international routes?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2019, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
When UA was running 3 class flights I got a couple of Biz to F to accommodate instrument upgrades from Y to J . I guess that is sort of a CPU.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 5:21 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mynolix
I was upgraded Y->J back in december lof last year on MUC-EWR. Didn't apply anything. I'd say it happens... very occasionally (very)
But was Economy fully packed? Maybe you just got an OpUp. Nice to have but not the same concept.......
Old Jul 23, 2019, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
But was Economy fully packed? Maybe you just got an OpUp. Nice to have but not the same concept.......
One time I know it was to accommodate instrument upgrades because I did ask. The other time you may be correct in that it may have been a full flight and they OpUp'ed me. Both times I was traveling as a single pax and was told "I was the easiest to move".
Old Jul 23, 2019, 5:58 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by nomad420
One time I know it was to accommodate instrument upgrades because I did ask. The other time you may be correct in that it may have been a full flight and they OpUp'ed me. Both times I was traveling as a single pax and was told "I was the easiest to move".
For sure United did not upgrade anybody to F to accommodate instruments upgrades on my flight PVG-ORD in January 2018. It was the only upgrade I ever missed on United. I started at #1 and finished at #1 . Nobody was upgraded to J after T-24. According to my wife who was in F, there were 2 empty seats in addition to the Captain's one.

But there was something weird: my wife who had a waitlisted GPU to get into J, paid for the TOD at check-in and found herself in F. Only reason she paid the TOD is that she had missed the upgrade on the outbound.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 6:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
,,,Both times I was traveling as a single pax and was told "I was the easiest to move".
Shure sign of an op-up. UA needed to move someone and you as a single passenger (with status) was the easiest.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
When UA was running 3 class flights I got a couple of Biz to F to accommodate instrument upgrades from Y to J . I guess that is sort of a CPU.
More than likely Y was oversold, so you were bumped from J to F so they could op-up someone to J to free up a Y seat. UA’s policy was not to op-up to F to clear Y to J instruments. (3-cabin F was known as "employee class" for a reason. )

I got upgraded from GPU’d J to F on BKK-NRT in 2014. The previous day’s flight had been canceled, and Y was oversold.

Last edited by SS255; Jul 24, 2019 at 9:09 am
Old Jul 23, 2019, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
CO, NW, and HP all had unlimited domestic upgrade policies in place as early as ~2000. DL followed not long thereafter, IIRC.
It went back prior to that, 1996/97 if not earlier. And at various points, as CO elite you got unlimited domestic upgrades on both HP and NW (not sure if it was at the same time).

Y-UPs were available around then for elites (confirmed at booking, no capacity controls), also on TW IIRC.

Back then, one-way fares or r/ts without a Saturday night stay often booked in Y/B class (and were refundable), so I got my fare share of the YUPs back then when traveling for work. ^
Air Houston likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 7:01 am

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TonyBurr
No, they were not op-ups. Other times I just asked, smiled nicely, and it worked. Those were the days.
Ah, yes. I remember those days. I was upgraded several times on international flights with this strategy; once after I was on the plane. I was also upgraded on Swiss Air because of my gold status with UA.
nomad420 likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 7:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
This thread has rekindled a lot of fond flying memories. One thing that seems apparent is that the FAs were much nicer back in the 90s. I remember many times where they would do extra favors for elites in Y. The coolest thing that one did for me was to arrange a visit to the cockpit in flight. The pilots were incredibly friendly and explained how everything operated, etc. and spent a good 20 minutes talking with me. We were over the arctic at the time and I can remember how impressed I was with the view from the cockpit.

Those were the "Good Ole Days"
Old Jul 24, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by zombietooth
This thread has rekindled a lot of fond flying memories. One thing that seems apparent is that the FAs were much nicer back in the 90s. I remember many times where they would do extra favors for elites in Y. The coolest thing that one did for me was to arrange a visit to the cockpit in flight. The pilots were incredibly friendly and explained how everything operated, etc. and spent a good 20 minutes talking with me. We were over the arctic at the time and I can remember how impressed I was with the view from the cockpit.

Not to mention the number of bottles of wine that I left planes with in the late 90's
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by tods27
Not to mention the number of bottles of wine that I left planes with in the late 90's
Me, too! It only happened once, but it was a super nice gesture by an FA (who was being flirty). Yep, a little charm and a few smiles went a long way in those days.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by tods27
Likewise, sadly those days are gone. I have some crazy old stories from "the road" but not for this forum....
Old Jul 24, 2019, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by zombietooth

In general, the passengers were nicer, too, back in those days. Maybe there's a connection.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 4:54 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Over the years I've had a few real nice upgrades:
•I took BA from LHR-SFO for my first transoceanic business trip around 2001. The check-in agent asked if I had a suit; I responded of course Brooks Brothers. She said well return in ten minutes and I'll see what I can do. Got a F ticket. Too bad I was too naive to even contemplate going to a lounge.
•ICN is very much my favorite *A place to connect in Asia. While people don't talk about it here much, I'm particularly fond of the OZ lounge. On more than one occasion I've received an upgrade on my onward flight to SIN or China; once it was even on the second floor of an A380.
•My (UA Gold) wife and (UA Platinum) I went snowboarding in Korea once. UA gave us both upgrades to J and her first time on the top floor of a 747.
At the same time I also did a five year stint as a UA Gold without a single upgrade on any flight. I'm now disloyal and buy the best value nonstop ticket. Currently a AS MVP (aka Silver), WN A and Companion Pass Holder and a UA Silver. I'll probably end up this year as a UA Gold or Platinum due to a couple long haul laps, but domestically prefer AS and WN.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 7:43 am

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
I have upgrade certificates from the 80's (CO and People's Express) and the 90's through 1999.
All made it clear that they were good for domestic, NA and select (Caribbean, Micronesia) foreign flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.